Paul Warne -potential Wigan manager? | Vital Football

Paul Warne -potential Wigan manager?

Kevin sheldon

Vital Youth Team
Just wanted to acknowledge the job Paul Warne has done at Rotherham. I believe he has already got Rotherham Utd promoted three times. Arguably, he has deserved his chance at a club with a more expansive budget than the Millers. Warne has consistently worked with a limited budget and rarely spends any money of note in the transfer market. Naturally, given the constraints he plays a certain style of football. That said, he when gis teams have been relegated he certainly gets a tune out of them. They all seem very loyal too. I have heard and read good things about his conduct as a person too. In other words " an all round good bloke".

Having witnessed his debut, in 1997 he came with a huge reputation having scored goals for fun under John Deehan at Wrexham. It never really happened for him at Wigan but i think after that he carved himself out a decent lower league career. Being an ex Tic albeit briefly i am beginning to see him as a future Wigan Athletic manager. I like the way he conducts himself and he does seem to respect us more than most managers. Of course, pending what level we are at but he is tailor made for lower leagues and can produce good sides on even a limited vudget.

It's funny, but I was thinking similar myself this morning & he would certainly join the ex player turned manager brigade. I think he is a cracking lower league manager. Not so sure about the championship, as for all his promotions, he's been relegated from there the same amount of times. On the other hand with financial backing behind him, who knows.

Just wanted to acknowledge the job Paul Warne has done at Rotherham. I believe he has already got Rotherham Utd promoted three times. Arguably, he has deserved his chance at a club with a more expansive budget than the Millers. Warne has consistently worked with a limited budget and rarely spends any money of note in the transfer market. Naturally, given the constraints, he plays a certain style of football. That said, he when his teams have been relegated, he certainly gets a tune out of them. They all seem very loyal too. I have heard and read good things about his conduct as a person, too. In other words," an all round good bloke".

Having witnessed his debut, in 1997 he came with a huge reputation having scored goals for fun under John Deehan at Wrexham. It never really happened for him at Wigan, but I think after that he carved himself out a decent lower league career. Being an ex Tic albeit briefly, I am beginning to see him as a future Wigan Athletic manager. I like the way he conducts himself, and he does seem to respect us more than most managers. Of course, pending what level we are at, but he is tailor-made for lower leagues and can produce good sides on even a limited vudget.

It was Wroxham he played for, a junior club in Norfolk

It was Wroxham he played for, a junior club in Norfolk
Yes Wroxham indeed possibly still under John Deehan at that time. Deehan had connections with the area as he played for Norwich City.

Its an interesting point made about his relegations and you hint at his lack of funds as a potential reason. I think the championship is a poisoned chalice for a club like Rotherham and potentially us as well. The number of clubs gambling on investment in the hope of getting to the greed league sees it as a difficult league if you are a Rotherham Utd. I think it is easier said than done to stick with a manager who is relegated to then galvanise the players again to get promoted. The more i think about Warne the more i believe he deserves his chance at championship level to work with a side with a competitive budget.

It's a no from me.
I lost a lot of respect for the fella after his rather pathetic post match interview at the DW in August.

Warne has done very well for Rotherham and he is undoubtedly a great fit for them. He had very little budget to work with and loses his best players regularly but he manages to keep pushing the club forward but hasn't yet kept them in the Championship and until he does that I'm not sure he will be considered by Championship clubs.

I think if he went to another L1 club with a modest budget I think he could probably do a similar job. I think he may even be a decent appointment if Millwall or Cardiff took a gamble, 2 teams who have a bit of history playing a more direct style so if he brought his Rotherham approach with him it wouldn't be a shock to the system.

But if he went to a high up L1 or Championship club with a bigger budget and higher expectations it'd be a totally different challenge for him and impossible to know how he'd adapt.

He used to talk about how he was a reluctant manager and so I suspect he’s just comfortable in his role. Which is great news for Rotherham. That said I do agree with exile about losing some respect for him with the globe trotters comments two games into the season.

He used to talk about how he was a reluctant manager and so I suspect he’s just comfortable in his role. Which is great news for Rotherham. That said I do agree with exile about losing some respect for him with the globe trotters comments two games into the season.

To be fair though with the exception of Ipswich compared to the rest of the league the quality of players we were recruiting were way above everyone else. We got the likes of Wyke and McClean ahead of Championship clubs, 600k in L1 for Kerr was huge money, add in the fact we took some of the best players from expected promotion rivals like Charlton, Pompey, Sunderland, etc - I do think he was right we are the Globetrotters Of L1.

His team just just been done by a 95th minute goal which handed them an undeserved loss. Emotions were high, I'd have probably said something similar if I were the Rotherham boss.

Warne will never leave them until they push him out, Ideal fit for both parties.