Paul Mariner | Vital Football

Paul Mariner

I knew Paul slightly from the Massachusetts 'soccer' community. Never remembered my name but knew I supported the Gills.
A couple of years ago much to my surprise he came over and chatted while we were in a hospital waiting room waiting for MRIs. I was there with a knee injury and we talked about the improvements in injury care for players. He was upbeat and in a good mood so I was shocked to hear of his brain cancer diagnosis shortly afterwards when he stepped down from his TV role with the New England Revolution.
RIP Paul.

Yes it's quite frightening when someone who you would think has been super fit dies like that after a short illness. Christian Eriksen only just made it thank goodness. 68 is no age to die. RIP Paul

Started in the third tier and made his name there, went on to become an established England international. Those of us old enough to remember will have good memories.

Actually started in non league at Chorley before Plymouth picked him up.

His partnership with Trevor Whymark under Bobby Robson at Ipswich was very fruitful. A close second to Toshack/Keegan in the 70s. Never linked so well with anyone at Arsenal so didn't last long there.

Always seemed like a quiet modest guy. RIP.