Patience is indeed a virtue | Vital Football

Patience is indeed a virtue

runner_pie

Vital Reserves Team
I see that the predictable clamour for Moniz to be sacked is playing out on Mad. The fact is that we are bang average at the minute due to our awful away form but this doesn't mean that everything is wrong. Our home form is very good and this is clearly something to build on. I don't think anyone would dispute that we are underachieving at the minute and that in itself is a sign of the talent that has been assembled in this squad (that's not something we could claim last year).

In Moniz, we employed a man with lots of success in management but no experience of lower league football in England. With that being the case, things were never going to be perfect from the off. It was always going to take time. Sadly, in the day of the internet message boards, the baying mobs will only be appeased by instant success and the long term doesn't come into it. Only last year after a defeat at Stoke, Arsene Wenger was being described as 'clueless', 'tactically naive' and having 'no plan b' ( the usual list trotted out by fans of this ilk on forums up and down the country). If this is the case then there is no hope for anyone.

Could things get worse if we replaced Moniz? Of course they could. Much worse. Just look at the downward spiral we have been on by chopping and changing so frequently over the last few years. I'm as frustrated as anyone that we can't get a run of wins going, but for once, let's invest some time into having a manager. A manager who after all is far from getting everything wrong.

Agree 100% runner with that, it would be an absurd decision to sack moniz, while he shows his inexperience of lower league football, that is something that can only improve not get worse with coaching credentials like his, some of the players need to have a look at themselves if we are continuing to lose matches from winning positions. McLeod needs to get his self pitying head out of his arse and grow a backbone, we are playing games with 10 men with his work ethic.

Nor sure Moniz can get his head around league 2. He is being out thought too often.
I think the senior players are not delivering the goods. Smith is a waste of space, Curtis would do a better job.

I wonder how strong RM is with regard to the squad. The antics with Noble/Mcleod over the penalty was ridiculous.

Reminds me of Charlie, we improves when Cotterill took over the squad.

I think RM's days are numbered, given the investment made.

We're a mid-table team at the moment, which is a bizarre place for Notts fans to find themselves as for the last 5 years we've been battling at one end of a table or the other. The ridiculous thing is that so many of the same people calling for his head are the same ones predicting we would "do a Tranmere" this season and wanting "TREW OUT". Now we're demonstrably NOT doing a Tranmere and have a very decent home form, it's "Please Mr Trew, can we have a new manager?" again.

Having said that, I'm under no illusions that Moniz is a hidden managerial gem. What I think is most frustrating for fans is the embarrassment of riches he has at his disposal, to the extent where we have decent players on the bench/out on loan that play in the EXACT POSITIONS WE NEED (Adams, Bennett, Thompson, Milsom). If Smith, Audel or anyone has a bad game, that makes it the manager's fault, because he had options. Add that to the fact that we have an entire team of players who need shooting practice and Moniz has real problems. IMO they are problems that he can solve. Would a new manager do a better job? If the last 5 years have taught us anything, it should be that the grass is RARELY greener!

We need to see this season out and try to offload what we can, Moniz should put this year down to gaining experience and try a few different things in the plan to have a good understanding of what is needed to gain promotion from this league next season.

We might even hit it right sooner and push up to challenge for the play offs.

We can not just keep sacking managers and getting a new crop of players in, we aren't in danger of relegation, we are playing some good entertaining football at home so why not give this man a chance.

DomdomPie - 30/11/2015 09:40
What I think is most frustrating for fans is the embarrassment of riches he has at his disposal.

I've raised this point on MAD, saying that I just don't see this "embarrassment of riches" we are supposed to have. We've repeated last year's mistake of having a very large squad, but one that is short on quality. Don't get me wrong, I think we should be doing a bit better than we are, but I can't see this squad as a promotion squad.

A very good piece in the Nottingham Post by Leigh Curtis tonight. Real food for thought:

http://m.nottinghampost.com/Leigh-Curtis-column-Walsall-shown-Notts-County/story-28269791-detail/story.html?

While I'm firmly in the "moniz in" camp, I can certainly get the frustrations of those who are not, I believed rightly or wrongly we would bounce straight back to league one football and it's still a possibility but in all honesty we have lost too many games to this point, but as others have said the changing of the guard every 6/12 months had got us absolutely nowhere has it. I'm sure Portsmouth fans thought they were a shoe in at their first attempt to get out of league two and that failed, we do have the players to get out of league two but "the transfer panel" clearly has not worked due to some players who aren't up to scratch or they maybe but just aren't getting a chance, it does seem with moniz that have a bad game or two and you are done, I'm very interested in what happens with Roy Carroll in this regard as it was him that lost us the game at Cambridge and the blame lies squarely at his feet.

The problem is compounded by the level of expectation being raised by the early comments that promotion is the target. Trouble is, that was before a ball had been kicked in the league.

The overseas players were hyped up but only Aborah has shown good touches.

There were over a dozen other teams throwing out "promotion is the target" at the start of the season and many of those are faring no better than us and they have managers who "know league two" Luton,Cambridge even Barnet had big aspirations and the former two spent a few quid pre-season, I know the it's still early days strap line is wearing a bit thin but just maybe we could be bang up there come March but imo I don't think we will but I ain't gonna moan about it if we are still in this division next season, that's football.

All divisions are hard to get out of going upwards but this one can be the pits if we get stuck in it. We need to get away wins under the belt!

uysapie - 2/12/2015 23:50

All divisions are hard to get out of going upwards but this one can be the pits if we get stuck in it. We need to get away wins under the belt![/QUOTE

You are quite right and yes, this is a flea pit of a division and the sooner we are out of it the better, but while I'm now not so optimistic about getting out this season, I would expect nothing short of promotion next season whoever is in charge.

Indeed the 'early days' line hasn't got much legs left. This run in to New Year will go a long way to show where we actually stand in the league. On paper out of the 5 games only Carlisle and Wycombe should pose a threat, but we shouldn't lose any game until the new year now.

in reality we all know our away form is dreadful and with 3 aways in a row Moniz could very much be on his bike.