Pat Terry | Vital Football

Pat Terry

Hampshiregills

Vital Youth Team
Was thumbing through ''Home of the Shouting Men '' today, and was reminded of my boyhood hero, Pat Terry. He had an enviable record as an old fashioned centre forward with 22 goals in each of the 3 seasons he spent at Priestfield. Certainly, an overall tally 66 goals in just 119 appearances is hardly to be sniffed at. For those [ ie. most of you ] far too young to remember him, Pat Terry possessed the amazing ability to almost defy gravity, by seeming to hang in the air for a split second longer than most defenders could. Consequently, very many, if not the majority of his goals, were headed in. I wish we had a 22 goal per season striker today.

Was thumbing through ''Home of the Shouting Men '' today, and was reminded of my boyhood hero, Pat Terry. He had an enviable record as an old fashioned centre forward with 22 goals in each of the 3 seasons he spent at Priestfield. Certainly, an overall tally 66 goals in just 119 appearances is hardly to be sniffed at. For those [ ie. most of you ] far too young to remember him, Pat Terry possessed the amazing ability to almost defy gravity, by seeming to hang in the air for a split second longer than most defenders could. Consequently, very many, if not the majority of his goals, were headed in. I wish we had a 22 goal per season striker today.
Not sure if I remember this correctly but I think he left us and played for Peterborough and scored a remarkable header against us in a 4-4 draw. It was from the edge of the box iirc.

Not sure if I remember this correctly but I think he left us and played for Peterborough and scored a remarkable header against us in a 4-4 draw. It was from the edge of the box iirc.
Pat Terry scored FOR us against Peterborough in a 4-4 draw the season Peterborough entered the league. Incidentally he was my favourite player too

Amazing in the air and he wasn't all that tall. We played Swansea in an FA cup game and he was all over Welsh international centre half Mel Charles ( John Charles's brother).
Happy days alongside Harry Hughes, Dennis Hunt, Ronnie Bacon, Gordon Pulley, John Simpson and more.

Thumping header and Pat Terry featured in almost every match report back in the day. Players don't even look like that any more. He and Denis Hunt ended up together again playing for Brentford.

I fondly remember a goal against Chic Broadie playing in goal for Brentford. Both players jumped for the ball but Pat's head was higher than Chic's upstretched arms. Unfotunately, Pat's knee connected with Chic's chin who was knocked out. In today's world Pat would probably be sent off for dangerous play.

On another occasion and a friendly away at Maidstone (at their old London Road ground) Pat dribbled with the ball. No, not in the conventional way but by bouncing the ball on his head. Amazing player.

Never saw him play, but when my dad used to take me and my brother, and a forward missed a headed chance, he would always say, without fail, "Pat Terry would have buried that!"