Parker? | Vital Football

Parker?

TGPL

Vital Reserves Team
Question for anyone who went yesterday how did people feel on Josh Parker's performance yesterday? Appreciate it's difficult to judge against a team of Wigan's quality but I felt he was quite out of sorts against Fleetwood and I noticed he got subbed again yesterday so wondering if he's starting to suffer a bit with his form. Any thoughts?

I thought he did ok. Space was at a premium against Wigan and, ironically, Parker was one of the few Gills players able to find a bit of it. However, SL understandably decided to change things tactically as our front two were getting no joy in the oppositions central defensive area and he opted to try and inject some pace into our attack. List duly obliged, at the expense of Parker, vindicating, fully, SL`s decision. Parker is a savvy forward with good quality but , like all the others, he`ll have a game or two when he`s not at his best. SL will stick with him, he`s too good to leave out.

We could always have a poll, what do you think LSB2 ?

:2: :2: :2: :2: :2:

Nothing went quite right yesterday and it showed with the likes of Parker. We effectively surrendered the midfield; hence, two were subbed. By surrendering the midfield in meant Wigan could spray the ball out to the wings, who kept Garmston and O'Neill pinned back for long periods. When we did have the ball we could put passes together and when the simple thing to do was cross the ball we didn't. A bad day at the office. On the plus side, Moussa showed some nice touches and looked comfortable in front of the back four.

I?ve a friend who used to go to Gills a lot but has been to the last 2 home games after not going in years. He didn?t really know any of the players, but was most impressed by Martin, Hess and Eaves, and thought Parker was one of the worst players he?s ever seen!

I trust this isn't a 'let's elect a scapegoat thread'. We lose to table topping Wigan and the loaded question looks like a bit of finger pointing. Parker's contribution to this squad in terms off effort and goals has been impressive. He will have difficult games as will Eaves or anyone. As has been mentioned many times SL has got this group of players performing well above expectations and I really hope one loss doesn't change the mood.

Parker has played well this season, has consistently scored goals, and is a good foil for Eaves. He played well yesterday and I was surprised he was subbed as was an outlet, he won his fair share of headers.
I can only guess that SL wanted to change formation / ideas.
Another plus point was Reilly. Seen him at 2 away games and at home, he has impressed, and he was a non stop runner yesterday and caused some problems for Wigan's defence.

iangfc - 4/2/2018 16:02

Parker has played well this season, has consistently scored goals, and is a good foil for Eaves. He played well yesterday and I was surprised he was subbed as was an outlet, he won his fair share of headers.
I can only guess that SL wanted to change formation / ideas.

I agree, I was only relating the views of someone with fresh eyes to the current squad and it only relates to the last 2 home games.

Re the substitution, Lovell said he wasn?t happy with Parker for not being there for a tap in after Eaves had played a good ball across the box.

Perhaps he wanted to bring List on to stretch the Wigan defence, and he was a bit unlucky to have a goal ruled out at the death.

I was surprised when Parker got substituted. Neither of our frontmen had a particularly good game but Parker at least looked like he could have caused problems if there had been a quick guy with him. One problem with Eaves is, he still ain't quick (much better than he was though).

Was more surprised when Eaves later went off for Wilkinson. At that point I guess Lovell had decided to give players match time rather than try to get anything out of the game.

As Wayne said the problem was largely in midfield. Didn't think Byrne or Reilly did much of use. But overall, Wigan did a job on everyone. You can't single anyone out as having a "shocker" when all around were below par

Interesting as I thought Parker had a poor game by his standards.

I really like Parker and think he is a real asset but it just didn?t happen for him.

He looked off the pace, he was eased off the ball too easily (admittedly by an impressive defence) and his decision making wasn?t great. There was one moment in the first half when he could have laid on a good chance for Martin but opted to try a step over. He also failed to fill the space in the middle when Eaves pulled the defence out wide.

Personally I thought he was going to get subbed at the break.

I wasn?t surprised that Eaves was subbed - although I thought he was one of our better players. Frustration had got the better of him after he got little protection from the ref. He was booked and almost talked himself into a red as he continued to complain. It was the smart move to take him off.

Neither of our frontmen had a particularly good game Skullduggery wrote but that's mainly cos they got no service.

Get with it, Razor:

Research announced revealed the top 5 ?Bore Off?s. Leading the way is ?Bore Off Monday? at the number one spot, closely followed by ?Bore Off Work? and ?Bore Off Rain?. The results come as new Manchester based website www.boreoff.com is launched to give people a unique place they can ?Bore Off? together with other likeminded people and interact with ?Bore Off? banter.

LancsGordoRoad - 6/2/2018 10:20

Get with it, Razor:

Research announced revealed the top 5 ?Bore Off?s. Leading the way is ?Bore Off Monday? at the number one spot, closely followed by ?Bore Off Work? and ?Bore Off Rain?. The results come as new Manchester based website www.boreoff.com is launched to give people a unique place they can ?Bore Off? together with other likeminded people and interact with ?Bore Off? banter.

Geez, bore off Lancs :3:

I can only apologise for my choice of language. Was rather inebriated at the time and believed this post to be another case of unnecessary negativity on this board.

Yes, but surely this was an example of the use of an Americanism - it clearly isn't English!

Then again a search reveals the Urban Dictionary definition:

"Bore Off
a word used by unintelligent and simple people who are unable to come up with a witty response and so turn to this phrase instead"

Even then it refers to it as 'a word', rather than 'a term', which suggests the Urban Dictionary is crap anyway!!

It's quite a common phrase from my experience. Maybe it's a generational thing. (I have no idea how our ages differ mind you).

NedFlanders - 8/2/2018 08:13

It's quite a common phrase from my experience. Maybe it's a generational thing. (I have no idea how our ages differ mind you).

Stand your ground Ned, some of the mature "boarders" aren`t that down and with it.... No need for any apology brohanski.