đźšą Pape Matar Sarr - Player Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

đźšą Pape Matar Sarr - Player Thread

So it's being reported again (it broke back in September from my recollection), or is just a revived story and read by Pompey that Sarr will he be a 'home-grown' players from next season..

Watching him progress, a while back I shared my believe that he could easily be our 'Pogba' but a bit more level head if he kept progressing at the rate he is, Ange's method's/system appear perfect for him.

With his technical ability, his physicality, his awareness and his footballing intelligence, it will be interesting to see what position Sarr ends up in long term. At the moment, he is a facilitator of others and a key component of our ball-recovery in Ange-ball to increase our possession and dominance of games.

He could play further forward if he adds finesse to his shooting and creativity., which to my mind is the area where he must make the greatest improvement. He could also, given his physicality and reading of the game, sit as a defensive midfielder., and in my view end up amongst the greats in that position.

Ange recently said Sarr can do all three;

“I think with Pape, when you consider his age, he can embrace the challenge of playing in a midfield role, particularly for us when it is quite multi-functional in terms of what’s needed from him,” the Spurs boss said.

“He has this great capacity, for him it’s a great strength to just run and provide energy in all different areas. I think just having him there helps because sometimes he is a six, sometimes he is an eight, sometimes he’s a 10, sometimes he’s a full-back. And he does all that with ease, which is not easy to do because it does require some real energy and a really strong work ethic.

“I think as he gets more experienced, he’ll refine some areas of his game. Sometimes his decision-making is a little rushed but, for where he’s at in his career, what he’s providing for us is enormous at the moment.”

There is definitely room for improvement, but for a 21-year-old playing regularly in the Premier League for the first time, Sarr has been nothing short of outstanding in the role he is being asked to do.

So what will his final position be, 6, 8 or even 10?!

I think he has everything to ultimately to be a true box to box midfielder, but even if he doesn't end up playing that role and 'just' become our defensive rock shielding the backline, it really does feel like we've bought another incredible bargain...

Do you agree?

He is better suited to the PL than Pogba. I hated the guy but he is the new Viera. He is a physical machine who is still not in his mans body. Capable of eating ground up, skilful and defensively capable. If he can add goals and big game mentality then i think we will be fighting to keep him at the club.

He is better suited to the PL than Pogba. I hated the guy but he is the new Viera. He is a physical machine who is still not in his mans body. Capable of eating ground up, skilful and defensively capable. If he can add goals and big game mentality then i think we will be fighting to keep him at the club.

He's next for a new long term contract, I expect news soon.

So it's being reported again (it broke back in September from my recollection), or is just a revived story and read by Pompey that Sarr will he be a 'home-grown' players from next season..

Watching him progress, a while back I shared my believe that he could easily be our 'Pogba' but a bit more level head if he kept progressing at the rate he is, Ange's method's/system appear perfect for him.

With his technical ability, his physicality, his awareness and his footballing intelligence, it will be interesting to see what position Sarr ends up in long term. At the moment, he is a facilitator of others and a key component of our ball-recovery in Ange-ball to increase our possession and dominance of games.

He could play further forward if he adds finesse to his shooting and creativity., which to my mind is the area where he must make the greatest improvement. He could also, given his physicality and reading of the game, sit as a defensive midfielder., and in my view end up amongst the greats in that position.

“I think with Pape, when you consider his age, he can embrace the challenge of playing in a midfield role, particularly for us when it is quite multi-functional in terms of what’s needed from him,” the Spurs boss said.

“He has this great capacity, for him it’s a great strength to just run and provide energy in all different areas. I think just having him there helps because sometimes he is a six, sometimes he is an eight, sometimes he’s a 10, sometimes he’s a full-back. And he does all that with ease, which is not easy to do because it does require some real energy and a really strong work ethic.

“I think as he gets more experienced, he’ll refine some areas of his game. Sometimes his decision-making is a little rushed but, for where he’s at in his career, what he’s providing for us is enormous at the moment.”

There is definitely room for improvement, but for a 21-year-old playing regularly in the Premier League for the first time, Sarr has been nothing short of outstanding in the role he is being asked to do.

I think he has everything to ultimately to be a true box to box midfielder, but even if he doesn't end up playing that role and 'just' become our defensive rock shielding the backline, it really does feel like we've bought another incredible bargain...

Do you agree?
His skill in a tight situation , defending at right back , being pressed , and in the corner , was unbelievable .
He made the Barcodes press look like schoolkids .

Absolutely brilliant .

He has been compared to some amazing players in the time since he signed for us. Viera, Yaya, Bellingham. I'm going to make a bit of an odd comparison, but the way he looks on the ball really reminds me of Drogba. Granted, very different positions, but similar technical abilities and mentality.

He has been compared to some amazing players in the time since he signed for us. Viera, Yaya, Bellingham. I'm going to make a bit of an odd comparison, but the way he looks on the ball really reminds me of Drogba. Granted, very different positions, but similar technical abilities and mentality.
Another improving player that could easily be a ÂŁ100mil + player in the not too distant future..

We really have done some incredible recruitment in the last half a dozen windows - can we ever do as well again?

Do you agree?
Great summary Ex. I love this guy.

He enables other players to play well. Every succcessful team needs a player like him in it.

If he had played the full 90 against Newcastle I would have given him MotM. It's no coincidence Biss's game went up a notch.

I wouldn't worry about his 'best' position at this stage. What I'm wondering is how we get Sarr, Bentancur and Bissouma in the team together. That's a midfield trio that's as good as anything in the PL.

And well done Paratici for picking him up for a pittance.

suspect he won't quite be cute enough to be an attacking mid but more goalscoring threat from him as an 8 would be good.

Maybe it's recency bias but he's playing so well it's hard to know how you fit both Bissouma and Bentancur into midfield if he's fit which is some statement for a lad his age and considering how well Bissouma started the season. Feels like Bents & Biss are competing for the 6 role and Sarr is nailed on for the 8.

Reportedly on 10k a week so he more than deserves a new contract.

Surprised there haven't been Kante comparisons tbh, though I love the Veira shouts.

suspect he won't quite be cute enough to be an attacking mid but more goalscoring threat from him as an 8 would be good.

Maybe it's recency bias but he's playing so well it's hard to know how you fit both Bissouma and Bentancur into midfield if he's fit which is some statement for a lad his age and considering how well Bissouma started the season. Feels like Bents & Biss are competing for the 6 role and Sarr is nailed on for the 8.

Reportedly on 10k a week so he more than deserves a new contract.

Surprised there haven't been Kante comparisons tbh, though I love the Veira shouts.

How to fit Sarr, Biss and Bent in the same squad is a problem that we can hopefully manage. Perhaps we can also start imagining having a 4th player of this amazing ability, and therefore worrying less about burnout, soft tissue injuries and suspensions. Ideally their name would be something like George Abbott.

I do agree though that Biss will always be a 6, Sarr feels like a box-to-box 8 whilst Bents can be either. In fact, I would have no problems slotting Bents into VDV or Romero's position either if they were injured.

I too believe he is made for being a box to box midfielder at number 8. He doesn’t quite have the intricate skills of a Maddison for a 10 and we would be wasting his energy, his long stride and his pressing capability if he was sitting in at number 6 which he can fill as he gets older. Use his youth, energy and no little skill as an 8 please. How we fit Maddison, Sarr, Bentancur and Bissouma in to keep them all happy I’m not sure. This is where we need Europe and some long cup runs!

So where is his future position?
I was thinking this yesterday. When everyone is fit what is our Midfield 3. Sarr has been superb and as you say could easily be ÂŁ100M+ in the future especially when Caiceido went for that.
If we can tie him down to a long term deal happy days.
Kulu has shown what he can do at 10 in the absence of Madders. We really look strong with everyone fit, It's a great problem to have.