Panti | Vital Football

Panti

MaltaRed

Vital Football Hero
To note what a positive imposing figure Panti is becoming...so reassuring for the whole team...he makes crucial saves so easy ...maybe because he is a 7 footer ... if we manage to keep him here for next season...i think it will difficult even for the new greek keeper ...to even have chance to show us what he is capable of...if both stay...only route for Smith would be to go on loan ...shame because we never had the chance to see him with the new look defence infront of him...

Smith was part of the problem. A solid good goalkeeper breeds confidence in the defence.

Smith is a decent shot stopper but it was too early to make him number 1. He had little command of his area and I don't think MW asking him to play the ball out helped him as he was clearly uncomfortable with it. His confidence looked low after the first game against Millwall.

On a seperate note I have received several PMs from apollyon with the subject 'Panties'. I haven't read them yet but I look forward to reading the ****'s views on our goalkeeper

I've a different perspective to a lot of fans re: Smith - I'm chuffed for him that we've brought Panti in, he'll be learning a lot from him and I don't think there's much wrong with his game apart from the distribution. The way he deals with crosses is just as impressive as his shot stopping IMO. He's saved us some vital points during his first spell and he'll be back.

I've no time for experienced, expensive defenders who need to get confidence from young keepers to do their jobs properly. The defending from set plays and crosses has been abysmal and it's not the goalies job to, during play, tell Mancienne or Mills who to mark, or tell Fox to reduce the space for the winger, or tell the midfielders not to allow easy crosses in.

It has not been a case of defenders overstretching to compensate for an indecisive goalkeeper, or a case of them being nervous because of him. It has been a case of disorganised players leaving jobs, that they know need doing, to other players. We look a lot better now, and of course that's in part due to having Panti on goal, but it's more to do with the way Karanka has set the team up, and the players sat in front of the defence (Colback and Watson) giving them less to do.

I disagree slightly Boffin, I think a GK should be in control of all aspects of the game inside the box, they have a panoramic view of all in front of them and should be taking control.

For me you can see Pants doing that, he occassionaly runs over to a player after a passage of play to bark in his ear which is something Smith does not yet have in his locker.

I too think Smith will be a great GK one day and can only benefit from having pants down the training ground everyday :86:

Forest Boffin - 21/3/2018 00:06

I've a different perspective to a lot of fans re: Smith - I'm chuffed for him that we've brought Panti in, he'll be learning a lot from him and I don't think there's much wrong with his game apart from the distribution. The way he deals with crosses is just as impressive as his shot stopping IMO. He's saved us some vital points during his first spell and he'll be back.

I've no time for experienced, expensive defenders who need to get confidence from young keepers to do their jobs properly. The defending from set plays and crosses has been abysmal and it's not the goalies job to, during play, tell Mancienne or Mills who to mark, or tell Fox to reduce the space for the winger, or tell the midfielders not to allow easy crosses in.

It has not been a case of defenders overstretching to compensate for an indecisive goalkeeper, or a case of them being nervous because of him. It has been a case of disorganised players leaving jobs, that they know need doing, to other players. We look a lot better now, and of course that's in part due to having Panti on goal, but it's more to do with the way Karanka has set the team up, and the players sat in front of the defence (Colback and Watson) giving them less to do.

Great assessment Boffin.

In addition to the points that you make, Smith also had to contend with a manager who undermined him at every opportunity.

The ham fisted manner in which MW went about trying to get a replacement must have done Smith's confidence the world of good.

It is important that Smith uses his time out of the limelight to good effect; he is very young as far as keepers go and still has elements of his game to develop.

It is equally important that we reap the benefits of that development.

He’s quality & also I know people will say about Shilton but a few of our goal keepers have been too small (league 1 standard at best) Pantz doesn’t need to strut around on his tiptoes like Camp for example.

:17: :17: :17:

Yeah I know what you mean, it's a great attribute to have, and ideally they will all be looking out for each other, and be in control. Smith is still learning.

I love watching Juventus for the communication between Buffon and his guys, great to watch and they're so worked up when they defend well. That's the difference between those levels though I guess.

I just get annoyed when the likes of Smith or Worrell get the blame when the more experienced players are stood there with their thumb up their arse.

All well and good singing the praises of Smith, but Pantilimon's backup is Kapino: clearly Jordan has a lot of improvement to make to even suggest any return to the first team.

BlackGold - 22/3/2018 01:18

All well and good singing the praises of Smith, but Pantilimon's backup is Kapino: clearly Jordan has a lot of improvement to make to even suggest any return to the first team.

Exactly.

It’s amazing how much the mediocrity merrygoround is coveted on here....and all because certain players emanate from the academy.

Forest Boffin - 22/3/2018 00:37

I just get annoyed when the likes of Smith or Worrell get the blame when the more experienced players are stood there with their thumb up their arse.

Thats the reason I voted "no" to Fox getting another contract.

I think that both Smith and Worrell have a future in the game, not sure at what level but they've both been played too often in poor company this season. This hasn't helped either of them.

I'd still like to see them do well for us.

toms - 22/3/2018 06:44

Exactly.

It’s amazing how much the mediocrity merrygoround is coveted on here....and all because certain players emanate from the academy.

Load of crap Smith is ahead of the game career wise through circumstance he has been exposed to a higher level than he was ready for but he disgraced no one and had a moment against Ipswich that he can savior for a long long time

No doubt he will go out on loan next season to a L1 club and that will allow his development to continue and the previous seasons experience should help him no end.

He has a couple of seasons worth of development ahead before you could question whether he can step up to our level and beyond

Re Worrall if your comments are directed at him in any way then that's even more daft, every England youth manager the England U21 manager several Forest managers Lester and Brazil and countless Premier league scouts are all wrong are they

Worrall is one of 2 players that get picked regularly for the 21's that are not plying their trade with a Premier league club that is testimony to both player and club, I'd be gobsmacked if there isn't several clubs bidding to take him in the summer.

There is a big gap between world beater and mediocrity and a common theme from Osborn down with all our young kids that if they are not the former then they are classed as the latter

Poor show

toms - 22/3/2018 06:44

Exactly.

Coming from the guy who still pines for Mr. Play-Off Failure :19:

we make fig perm in the summer and sign dawson I presume this is going to push Worrall down even further in the pecking order.

the jock - 22/3/2018 10:39

we make fig perm in the summer and sign dawson I presume this is going to push Worrall down even further in the pecking order.

Excluding Mancienne, who surely has no future whatsoever, Dawson will make four central defenders in the squad; considering that Fox has been injury prone since the day he signed and Dawson is no spring chicken, I cant see how it does push him further down the order.

Once he gets his place back it is up to him to keep it, something that applies to everyone in the squad; it helps having a pragmatic manager who picks the team on merit.

Signing Dawson also opens up the opportunity to play three central defenders which will give even more flexibility, assuming players stay fit.