Oxford United - Past Encounters | Vital Football

Oxford United - Past Encounters

Jules

Website Owner
Staff member
Oxford's second and fourth League matches were against the Imps, the latter one at Sincil Bank. The Imps were the first team to be beaten in the League by Oxford. Playing for United that day included the Atkinson brothers (Ron and Graham), also Bud Houghton who signed for the Imps the following year.

Anyone want to reminisce about the 6-0 loss in 2019??

Thought not.

Other than that game we've got a pretty good recent record against them. 3 wins without conceding

David Felgate . Two penalty saves . Early eighties?
Yes - October 1981. Wayne Turner's debut on loan. City took the lead early in the second half through Derek Bell before a penalty save by David Felgate preserved the lead. This lasted until six minutes from the end when the home side equalised, but there was another saved penalty by Felgate in the very last minute.

David Felgate at Oxford 1981.jpg

I remember a 2-2 in a blizzard which made it very hard to see what was happening on the pitch at times, which was hampered even more by the fence at the Railway End, '84ish if memory serves. The Imps were 2-0 up and pegged back by a very good Oxford side and in the end they were unlucky not to win.

Last edited:
I remember going to Oxford late in the fateful 2011 season. Probably around 800 or so travelled that day

We went 1-0 up through Cian Hughton early in the game and went in at half time a goal up.

Think they equalised halfway through the second half then finished us off with around 10 or 15 minutes to go.

Also think we had somebody sent off second half but can't remember who without looking it up.

I remember going to Oxford late in the fateful 2011 season. Probably around 800 or so travelled that day

We went 1-0 up through Cian Hughton early in the game and went in at half time a goal up.

Think they equalised halfway through the second half then finished us off with around 10 or 15 minutes to go.

Also think we had somebody sent off second half but can't remember who without looking it up.
Danny Hone for two yellow cards.

Remember away at Oxford under KA we won 1-0 with Franny Green scoring. The unusual thing was we had 4 goals disallowed for a variety of reasons. This is s I remember it but happy to be corrected if anyone else was was there that day.

I certainly remember the abandoned game in a pea-souper in the early 80s - the fog rolled in from nowhere and obliterated everything.

Here's a quick quiz question - no cheating by looking it up: five former Lincoln City players have gone on to manage Oxford United - name them.

Remember the horror show of the second last game of the season at Oxford in our relegation season. So many fans turned up, we put ourselves in a great position to earn the 3 points we needed and we chucked it away. I think I knew then we weren't going to beat Aldershot in the final game.

Remember away at Oxford under KA we won 1-0 with Franny Green scoring. The unusual thing was we had 4 goals disallowed for a variety of reasons. This is s I remember it but happy to be corrected if anyone else was was there that day.

I was there that day, too, very wierd goings on. I seem to recall that all four disallowed goals came in the first half. The cries of joy when Franny Geen's goal wasn't disallowed were most discernable.

I went to all 11 of those last games that year and a win in any of them would have kept us up. The Oxford game was particularly disappointing as, for a long time, we were the better side and deservedly led at half-time. It was a long journey home for son and I...

I went to all 11 of those last games that year and a win in any of them would have kept us up. The Oxford game was particularly disappointing as, for a long time, we were the better side and deservedly led at half-time. It was a long journey home for son and I...
We hit the bar when 1-0 up and I still say if that had gone in we would have won that game.