Our start to the season | Vital Football

Our start to the season

Colburn

Vital Reserves Team
Last season we didn't win for about 10 games though we played pretty well in some of them. This season we are amongst the early pace setters without playing particularly well having won 3 of 5. As others have said we have a well balanced squad which is beginning to gel in time for a tough run of fixtures. Will be interesting to see how we look after those as we will only get better

I hope you are right, we still have 41 games to go(if we can afford to finish the season) injuries and suspensions to cover. In my mind at the moment, solvency and 52+ points are the target.
Although I totally agree with your last sentence, I cant remember a season when I was this optimistic so early on. No harm in dreaming and, obviously, the longer this decent run goes on, the earlier that points target will arrive, especially now that we have strikers that could potentially get that ever elusive hat trick 😉

Yes, I'm not getting carried away just will be interesting to see how we look after the tough run we have coming up

Although I totally agree with your last sentence, I cant remember a season when I was this optimistic so early on. 😉

The beginning of Edinburgh's first full season when we were top two for along time before it went tits up in the second part of the season and we dropped out of the playoffs.

Maybe Martin Allen in his promotion season. We started pretty well that year even if the football was dire at times.

I seem to recall excitement at the beginning of Stimson's final season partly thanks to the 5-0 massacre of Swindon. Of course, the excitement started to wain once it became apparent we couldn't win away from home.

Quite a few seasons under Pulis started well, especially in 95/96 boasted by the relief of just existing.

The beginning of Edinburgh's first full season when we were top two for along time before it went tits up in the second part of the season and we dropped out of the playoffs.

Maybe Martin Allen in his promotion season. We started pretty well that year even if the football was dire at times.

I seem to recall excitement at the beginning of Stimson's final season partly thanks to the 5-0 massacre of Swindon. Of course, the excitement started to wain once it became apparent we couldn't win away from home.

Quite a few seasons under Pulis started well, especially in 95/96 boasted by the relief of just existing.
Absolutely, that Swindon match did turn out to be a false dawn.
I agree with your examples but this season feels more exciting (to me) simply because of the young talent we have brought in and the way SE has gelled them so quickly with the few left from last season

The start has been way beyond expectations. When the fixtures came out I could see an scenario where we hadn't one a game at this stage of the season. Only Shrewsbury looked a "winnable" game on paper.

I think it just goes to show what a good organiser, manager and motivator Evans is. The players he signed have all said how big a part he had in persuading them to sign.

Would we really have signed players from Celtic and Arsenal under Lovell abnd Pennock.

Its been an amazing start - gutted not to be there in person. Although maybe for such a young squad that's worked in our favour. No moans and groans from the stands they are able to play their game without any crowd pressure. For the U-23 lot its what they are used to.

Its been an amazing start - gutted not to be there in person. Although maybe for such a young squad that's worked in our favour. No moans and groans from the stands they are able to play their game without any crowd pressure. For the U-23 lot its what they are used to.
That is a good point a lot of the players have been used to Under 23 or reserve football.Next to no crowds. It looks like being a while till we are back so maybe the lack of experience will not be the handicap it would normally be this season.

[QUOTE="Bromley_GFC, post: 2497675, member: 13724"
If we get promoted, great my team will be a Championship side but 90% of the enjoyment is celebrating the success and atmosphere in the ground itself.[/QUOTE]

So true! At present I login to ifollow twenty minutes before kick off - log off at full time - and that is my matchday experience. Usually it is the (long) journey there, anticipation, pre match build up, snacks, crowd atmosphere, (long) journey home, Five Live on headphones - day out! Proper Gills experience.

That's a good point about playing with no pressure from the fans. I said on the match thread that we could have got behind them when Oxford were on top but it works both ways

That's a great point you make!

I'm optimistic about this season, with a difficult start to the season and a young squad with lots of new faces I thought it would take time for them to gel and get some positive results. I'm suprised and very happy we are 4th right now.

In terms of excitement for the season, I still enjoy watching us of course and pay a tenner for ifollow for nearly every Gills game (including checkatrade trophy games) as it's definitely better than nothing at all. But I just can't get too excited, knowing it's unlikely any fans at all will be allowed for the whole season and our future as a club in doubt.

If we get promoted, great my team will be a Championship side but 90% of the enjoyment is celebrating the success and atmosphere in the ground itself.

Welcome to my world for the past 30 years 😕

Although living in Oz does have some up side 👍

93E70AEB-6F0F-4D39-80A3-0492F26B5450.jpeg

Although I totally agree with your last sentence, I cant remember a season when I was this optimistic so early on. No harm in dreaming and, obviously, the longer this decent run goes on, the earlier that points target will arrive, especially now that we have strikers that could potentially get that ever elusive hat trick 😉

Obviously, solvency is the main aim for the majority of League One clubs and, to be fair to Scally, his frugal management of the finances puts us in a better position than most. In terms of the on-field aims, I can never understand why people set targets so low. We finished 10th last season, have a better, if smaller squad, and I don't think the quality of the division is any better, so I'd say we should be looking at an improvement on last season and if we get anywhere near that, we should be in with a shout of the playoffs (and safe) come Easter.

I always say that i`ll give it ten games before making a judgement call; so i`ll give it ten games. Yeah, ten games, i think..... :contract: :hmmm:

Obviously, solvency is the main aim for the majority of League One clubs and, to be fair to Scally, his frugal management of the finances puts us in a better position than most. In terms of the on-field aims, I can never understand why people set targets so low. We finished 10th last season, have a better, if smaller squad, and I don't think the quality of the division is any better, so I'd say we should be looking at an improvement on last season and if we get anywhere near that, we should be in with a shout of the playoffs (and safe) come Easter.

I was not setting a target for the season, i was aiming 52+ points as the main aim everything after that is a bonus. As that becomes more likely then the aim is set higher, top half, top ten, play offs etc. Safety and solvency are the main aims, if we still have Steve Evans here next season with fans back then it is onwards and upwards.

I was not setting a target for the season, i was aiming 52+ points as the main aim everything after that is a bonus. As that becomes more likely then the aim is set higher, top half, top ten, play offs etc. Safety and solvency are the main aims, if we still have Steve Evans here next season with fans back then it is onwards and upwards.

I'm sure that really motivates the team. "We're going for 52 points this year lads." "What? How about all that promise about the club's future you sold to me when you signed me?" "Shut up. Show me that's unlikely and maybe we can adjust the target to mid-table mediocrity after Christmas. Just think yourselves lucky the target's not being set by the fans."

I'm sure that really motivates the team. "We're going for 52 points this year lads." "What? How about all that promise about the club's future you sold to me when you signed me?" "Shut up. Show me that's unlikely and maybe we can adjust the target to mid-table mediocrity after Christmas. Just think yourselves lucky the target's not being set by the fans."

Aiming at 52+ as said by Steve Evans on Radio Kent. Obviously the team goes out to win every game, nobody is saying 52 points will do. The aim is to achieve that number asap then look at the next target. We are on course to get those points around half way through the season, Then we can kick on and try to finish as high as possible without any threat of being relegated. That is what almost every team in any league does very few clubs think they are immune from relegation.