Our skipper, Big Josh | Page 2 | Vital Football

Our skipper, Big Josh

That sir is Lawrence Payton, who along with Ronald "Obi" Benson and (the still surviving ... I think) Abdul "Duke" Fakir are supporting the sublime voice of the great Levi Stubbs.

I think Levi looks more like Josh to be honest ... I suppose neither of them can help themselves. 👀
Rather watch them than some of the Fakirs we've got playing for us, Motown was magic, beats the crap out of what's being played today.
Shouldn't the the thread read our big kipper?

Don't be silly! Season tickets will not drop cos of ONE player having his contract extended
I disagree with this. It won't make a difference to the hardcore who would renew even if we were back in the Northern Prem. But there will plenty of floating fans both current and past STHs, who will wait and see what our summer transfer business looks like before putting their hard-earned money down. They won't renew if they think next season is going to be a write off and if Josh Magennis is signed back up, I definitely think there will be folk out there who won't put their money down as a result.

Loads of fans didn't renew last season after the Bahraini mess and attracting them back is essential. Josh Magennis certainly ain't the man to do that and I don't want to hear this leader bollocks either. They'll be plenty of leaders available in the summer, all of which will be cheaper and significantly better footballers than 'big Josh'.

I disagree with this. It won't make a difference to the hardcore who would renew even if we were back in the Northern Prem. But there will plenty of floating fans both current and past STHs, who will wait and see what our summer transfer business looks like before putting their hard-earned money down. They won't renew if they think next season is going to be a write off and if Josh Magennis is signed back up, I definitely think there will be folk out there who won't put their money down as a result.

Loads of fans didn't renew last season after the Bahraini mess and attracting them back is essential. Josh Magennis certainly ain't the man to do that and I don't want to hear this leader bollocks either. They'll be plenty of leaders available in the summer, all of which will be cheaper and significantly better footballers than 'big Josh'.

Watching this lumbering oaf doesn’t help, but it’s the sheer lack of entertainment that is and will put people off.

Just read on 442 website that JM is being offered a 2 year deal.
That will brass off a few on here.

I don't think he is to be honest a bit sulky yes but not idle, I don't think he likes what he is being asked to do and being played out of position every game when we have players that can play that position on the bench.

Did you see the way he stormed off down the tunnel after getting subbed once again against Burton? A few minutes later on comes that useless lump Magennis in the CF role and once again gave us nothing.
He's not lazy but sulky?What a great role model to the youngsters he is and that you blindly back him .A really pathetic attitude both by Humphreys and Yourself

If we keep Magennis or not, or whoever we sign is probably less important than Maloney and the coaching staff working out a method of play that is more effective and being able to get the team motivated for every game and not just the top sides.

We've had good individual players this season and not got enough out of them and a good squad and not able to make it perform most weeks.

It's all well and good saying the goal is to play entertaing, attacking pass and move football and we certainly pass it around a lot. But that in itself isn't effective, attacking or entertaining without the movement, tempo, pressing, aggression, intensity, etc to go with it. And we need to get drastically better at all of the other parts of the game as if we don't whoever we sign will struggle playing this type of football.

Fair points KDZ, but I'd rather our target be to improve against the lesser teams than to have to learn to challenge the top ones.

This season will soon be done, and a new group of players will be assembled to compete for next season.

The pessimistic view of some may well turn out to be justified, but at the moment, my optimism for next season holds few bounds, given we know what we're capable of and just need to maintain those standards more frequently.

The pessimistic view of some may well turn out to be justified, but at the moment, my optimism for next season holds few bounds, given we know what we're capable of and just need to maintain those standards more frequently.
100% agree with this, the point is next season we'll have a good few new faces at the club but Maloney won't play to the strengths of the squad he has at his disposal we'll still be playing the turgid style we've played this season apart from a handful of games.

That's the reason I'm not confident Maloney is the man to take us forward.

... but Maloney won't play to the strengths of the squad he has at his disposal we'll still be playing the turgid style we've played this season apart from a handful of games.

That's the reason I'm not confident Maloney is the man to take us forward.
Sorry Frank, but that makes little sense. Why would he bring in new players, and then not play a style that gets the most out of them? Alternatively, why wouldn't he bring in players who will fit into the style he wants to play?

This season, he's been able to bring in a few players, (who in the main have all done well, and match his style) whilst in some positions, he's had to make do with what he had in terms of who was already here ... Humphrys and Magennis being perfect examples.

I accept that's it's at times been turgid this season ... I just don't accept that the manager either encourages that, or is happy with it.

Maloney so far as had two managers jobs. Hibs fans warned us of the boring slow passing side ways and backwards. That’s why he got potted. Like it or not. We are seeing the same boring negative tactics at home. Nothing to play for. Let’s see some entertainment. We have Port vale Bristol Rovers at home. If we can’t beat them. Two. Being under no pressure. Time for a change

Sorry WBL, but you label the style as "tactics", yet invariably, the manager says he wasn't happy when we played that way.

Maybe it's "not performing to tactics" that's the issue ... and why we can expect to see changes in a few positions next season.

Sorry WBL, but you label the style as "tactics", yet invariably, the manager says he wasn't happy when we played that way.

Maybe it's "not performing to tactics" that's the issue ... and why we can expect to see changes in a few positions next season.
Of course it’s tactics from the manager. You to me across the back four just for the sake of it is the managers. Game plan. That style of football will never get you promoted out of league one. All these players are programmed into passing the ball backwards. Chambers when we signed him was said to be a great over lapping full back. And I’m sure he is but our football doesn’t allow it. Get the young centre forward in give him the last six game see if he’s any good. If not send him out on loan. For a season

Fair points KDZ, but I'd rather our target be to improve against the lesser teams than to have to learn to challenge the top ones.

This season will soon be done, and a new group of players will be assembled to compete for next season.

I'm actually a lot less optimistic for next season than I was heading into this season. Not that I thought we'd be able to overcome the points deduction and win promotion but I thought with the squad we had we'd be a lot better than we have been.

I'm just so underwhelmed with how we've so often not been up for games, how little we've got out of the squad and the lack of progress in the style of play.

I hope I'm wrong but I think it'll probably be more of the same frustration.