Our Midfield Against Chelsea | Vital Football

Our Midfield Against Chelsea

redderthanred

Vital Reserves Team
What a wast of time!!!

Osborn - Guédioura - Carvalho & Cash

All 4 could not pass water!!! - each of these lost the ball or passed the ball more to the opposition than passes they completed - which tells us a lot.

Lolley (when he came on) was the best of the midfield but not by much - he seemed to lose the ball more often than not.

You could count on one hand how many passes Murphy received from any of those 5 midfielders.

We need Yacob back in a central midfield roll (Pronto). We could also do with 2 (quick) wingers and an attacking CM midfielder that doesn't play needless balls to nowhere or to the opposition.

Not a Osborn fan nor do I dislike the lad but he was way out of his depth yesterday - he will not make the step up to the Prem. even if we get there.

Saying no more - It is only my opinion!!!!

They were all out of their depth ffs. We are a Championship side playing against a team that had £200m+ of talent just on their bench. What on earth did anyone expect?

To compete FFS. :slap: like all of the other minnows that knocked out superior opposition!!!

Possession: 62% - 38% tells its own story.

I didn't really care about the Chelsea game to be honest we were never going to win

All I care about is the reading game now .they haven't won since November 3rd but that is always our downfall . Hopefully grabban is fit and puts a couple past them. If we have playoff aspirations now is the time to win .

Their midfield is rather more expensive and of a higher level, we also had Jacob at CB so missed that extra edge with colback. We didn't make ourselves look stupid, no new injuries we can move on to the reading game and hopefully carry on front the Leeds game.

To compete FFS. :slap: like all of the other minnows that knocked out superior opposition!!!

Which minnows are these?

Championship clubs did quite poorly this round.

Only Bristol City beat a Prem team, and that was Huddersfield who are adrift at the bottom.

I do get tired of having to keep explaining to people that possession does not equal performance or decide games. We had more shots than several PL sides that have been to Stamford Bridge.

For a lower league side to win against a higher side you need:

A) The higher team to play extraordinarily badly.

B) higher side to field kids or a dodgy reserve side

C) a combination of both.

Leicester fielded a second string that hardly plays today and they played shit. So they lost. Blades did the same. That's how we beat Arsenal last year.

Yesterday we played a strong second string. A kid who Bayarn have bid £30m for. Two world cup winners. A striker who cost double our entire squad. Probably every player on that pitch was an international and they didn't play poorly; just look at the comments thread, plenty of their fans saying that team actually played better than normal.

And of course we went in with a defence made of Fullbacks and midfielders, second choice keeper and top two scorers not starting.

We played an extremely strong Chelsea side who played well and our stats in the game match pretty well to many prem sides who go there.

We can't be the headline makers every year. Chelsea were just too good and played too well. They gave us a lot of respect

Does it? What % of possession would have been acceptable for you?

Leicester won away at Chelsea with 28% possession and had 8 shots all game (we had 12). Crystal Palace won away at Man City with just 22% possession and just 5 shots. Are you saying that these teams didn't 'compete'?

If we do get promoted and you're expecting us to go away to teams like Chelsea and dominate possession - even if we do sign a whole new midfield - then you're going to be very disappointed.

Does it? What % of possession would have been acceptable for you?

Leicester won away at Chelsea with 28% possession and had 8 shots all game (we had 12). Crystal Palace won away at Man City with just 22% possession and just 5 shots. Are you saying that these teams didn't 'compete'?

If we do get promoted and you're expecting us to go away to teams like Chelsea and dominate possession - even if we do sign a whole new midfield - then you're going to be very disappointed.
Read the original post you egit - it's all about giving the ball away and giving up possession!!!! and NOT about % of play.

For what it's worth, in those games I've referenced above Palace had a pass success rate of 55% and Leicester 67%. I can't find ours against Chelsea but it would be interesting to see how they compare.

I remember reading a match report of Stoke's that remarked on them having had more possession than the opposition for the first time in the PL.

They had been in that league for 5-6 years at that point.

Birmingham and Swansea have around the same number of points in the SBC, but Birmingham are bottom of the passing accuracy charts and Swansea are right at the top. Passing accuracy is always a good thing but doesn't necessarily inhibit or exacerbate success without other qualities.

Against a team whose anticipation and awareness are next level (remember we were playing against Kante in the second half, possibly the best DCM in the world) of course we will have lower passing accuracy.

We can't go into games like these thinking they bare even the remotest relation to the bread and butter we see every week. These guys are playing almost a different sport