Our Fishy Friends | Page 51 | Vital Football

Our Fishy Friends

So Grimsby can object to the ESL on the grounds that it strikes at the heart of what gives sport its integrity ('earn it on merit') and launch a Big Six shirt amnesty in response, yet somehow they think it is perfectly alright to stop Hartlepool, Torquay, Sutton and the rest earning it on merit?

Presumably they will now be launching a Grimsby Town shirt amnesty ?
"If you have enough brains to be indignant at the double standards this club is demonstrating, hand in your Grimsby Town shirt at Blundell Park in protest and receive three Sutton United shirts / four Hartlepool United shirts / five Bromley shirts in exchange."

Any takers?

Anyone?

No, I thought not.

Stupid, Idiotic, clueless, none of these words come close to describing what Southend and Grimsby are. In fact I don't think there is a word in the English language to describe it.
The NLN and N:LS were declared null and void this season, meaning in effect across the EFL pyramid there were only - Championship, L1, L2 and NL. Now the NL couldn't relegate anyone as in effect the leagues below didn't exist, but they can promote.

IF the EFL agree to this, then football is dead.

Highly unlikely to get anywhere, and a distinct lack of class being shown. If they really thought they had a case they should have been lobbying since before Christmas and building consensus with other struggling league 2 clubs and the EFL. The NL has been terribly run this season, and their board will probably pay for their ineptitude at some point, but you can't go changing the rules at this late stage. There are two clubs who, however compromised and not ideal the NL season has been, have campaigned in difficult circumstances to win promotion. You can't deny them that chance.

As I have mentioned before, their logic does not stand up to extrapolation either. If they win (because if there isn't relegation so there should be no promotion) then in League 2 there will be no relegation. So this should mean that there is no promotion from League 2 to League 1, which would mean that there is no relegation from League 1. So this should mean that there is no promotion from League 1 to the Championship, which would mean there is no relegation from the Championship. So this should mean ... Get the point.

Eventually Sheffield United will be appealing their relegation because the National League North and South have been suspended. It is utter nonsense.

As I have mentioned before, their logic does not stand up to extrapolation either...

I think their argument, such as it is, is that the NL has not been a "proper" competition because those clubs who have not been involved in promotion gave up competing as they knew they wouldn't be relegated. Apart from Dover, I think a lot of sides had players on furlough.

Adam Marriott for example went from King's Lynn to Eastleigh on that basis in April.

So it's not so much because there's no relegation, but that the rules were changed about it halfway through the season.

I think their argument, such as it is, is that the NL has not been a "proper" competition because those clubs who have not been involved in promotion gave up competing as they knew they wouldn't be relegated. Apart from Dover, I think a lot of sides had players on furlough.

Adam Marriott for example went from King's Lynn to Eastleigh on that basis in April.

So it's not so much because there's no relegation, but that the rules were changed about it halfway through the season.

Yep, the 'no relegation' argument is a bit of a red herring. The crux of their argument seems to be that the NL isn't in a good state and has a lot of uncertainties for next season and it would be unfair of the EFL to put them in it.

Yep, the 'no relegation' argument is a bit of a red herring. The crux of their argument seems to be that the NL isn't in a good state and has a lot of uncertainties for next season and it would be unfair of the EFL to put them in it.

They probably have a point but its funny how this has became an issue now and not back in December. As of the here and now the National League is going ahead next season, there’s no point playing ‘what if’.

All this shows is how willing the fans of any club are to rationalise in their own favour.

Last week it was Peterborough's defending the indefensible, this week we have Grimsby's (though by no means all of them).

In both instances it's foolish to think this club's fans would be any different.

I haven't seen such straw clutching since Aunt Sally got fruity with Old Wurzel :wub::grinning:

The Cods must be really gutted that we're now playing their *real* rivals whilst they have, er, Kings Lynn to look forward to. 😄

On this day in 2010 Grimsby were relegated to the national league at Burton and then went on the rampage.

A lot of their fans STILL think it unfair, and they shouldn't be relegated. I posted on BBC Sport report on Cambridge match about them accepting relegation, and had a reply saying Barnet should have been relegated!
As I have said, as the National League North and South was cancelled, in effect the football pyramid was only 4 leagues. Those those that finished the bottom of the pyramid, had instead of relegation being recognised as the worst team in the country.
It just shows the class of the club, when they are so against the ESL, due to the fact there is no relegation or promotion, yet as soon as it happens to them, they think it wrong, as the league below them had no relegation. Double standards and hypocrisy of the highest order.