Our Best Eleven | Vital Football

Our Best Eleven

Nick Real Deal

Vital Football Legend
I thought it was time to think about our best 11.
But first maybe an evaluation of each candidate. I'm only going to do one player and then maybe other posters can choose and discuss theirs.
I'm just listing bullet point negatives and positives.

Hugo negative......getting older and probably in decline.
Hugo positive.....very experienced and still one of the top keepers.

Lloris
Romero, Dier, Japhet/Davies
Doherty, Winks, Bentancur, Reggie
Kulujevski, Son
Kane

That right side of Romero, Doherty, Winks and Kulujevski has been injected with football brains. It feels so different from Sanchez, Emerson, Hojbjerg and Moura.

I would make the big call of looking beyond Davies, and giving Japhet that big chance. Any signs of the diving in or committing stupid fouls in dangerous areas then I would go back to the steady eddie, Davies.

I'm also backing Winks over Skipp or Hojbjerg. Not sure Conte will.

Having players like Sanchez, Skipp, Hojbjerg, Stevie and Lucas won't excite anyone but will be a reason why we have some depth. Players that can slot straight in.

We won't know our best eleven until the new signings have demonstrated whether they are worth a place in the starting eleven. Hopefully it won't be an expensive exercise putting that to the test. Whilst Bentancur and Romero should be definites, they've proved nothing yet. Whether Kulujevski proves to be a better option than Moura is by no means a certainty.
Only definites at this stage are Lloris, Dier, Davies, Reguilon, Son and Kane.

We won't know our best eleven until the new signings have demonstrated whether they are worth a place in the starting eleven. Hopefully it won't be an expensive exercise putting that to the test. Whilst Bentancur and Romero should be definites, they've proved nothing yet. Whether Kulujevski proves to be a better option than Moura is by no means a certainty.
Only definites at this stage are Lloris, Dier, Davies, Reguilon, Son and Kane.
I know you like Davies, Smithy, but there's no way I'd have him as a definite. The only quality he has over the other CBs is that he is left-footed. That shouldn't be enough to guarantee him a start though.

I'd make Romero a certain starter for the foreseeable future. He's shown enough to me to suggest he can become a top CB. We need to know for sure, one way or another though, before we commit to £47m or whatever the fee is in the summer.

The rest of your selections I'd agree with although a part of me thinks Kane and Son shouldn't be afforded that privilege. Kane for his attitude and performances up until the last couple of weeks. And Son because he has been woefully out of form for some time. Both should have to earn their places. Berg could be providing competition for Son though.

I know you like Davies, Smithy, but there's no way I'd have him as a definite. The only quality he has over the other CBs is that he is left-footed. That shouldn't be enough to guarantee him a start though.

I'd make Romero a certain starter for the foreseeable future. He's shown enough to me to suggest he can become a top CB. We need to know for sure, one way or another though, before we commit to £47m or whatever the fee is in the summer.

The rest of your selections I'd agree with although a part of me thinks Kane and Son shouldn't be afforded that privilege. Kane for his attitude and performances up until the last couple of weeks. And Son because he has been woefully out of form for some time. Both should have to earn their places. Berg could be providing competition for Son though.
True that I feel that Davies is under rated by Spurs fans generally Gary, but my main reason for including him is that he is our only genuine LCB option currently. Despite his weaknesses, and his distribution is often poor, he reads the game very well defensively, and consequently makes a lot of important blocks in and around the penalty area. I'd rather have that than players who make rash challenges in dangerous areas, and constantly walk a red card tightrope.
I wouldn't dispute for a second though that LCB was an area we should have strengthened in the window, but didn't.

In the system we've seen....

___________Hugo__________
__Snchz_Romero_Rodon__
Doh_Skipp_Bentancur_Reg
___Kulu___Kane___Son____

_________Golli__________
__Tanga__Dier__Davies__
Emrsn_Winks_PEH_RSess
__Lucas_StevieB_????__

2nd team Defense is weak as shit.

What I hope to see is Royal, Romero, Bentancur and Kulu being picked every week for the rest of the season.

We need to know if Fabios picks are good enough going forward. Golli is nowhere near good enough so I don't give a damn about him.

Chuck them in the deep end. Feck it. Let the 1st 11 rebuild commence.

Come next season I hope to see a new LCB in minimum.

True that I feel that Davies is under rated by Spurs fans generally Gary, but my main reason for including him is that he is our only genuine LCB option currently. Despite his weaknesses, and his distribution is often poor, he reads the game very well defensively, and consequently makes a lot of important blocks in and around the penalty area. I'd rather have that than players who make rash challenges in dangerous areas, and constantly walk a red card tightrope.
I wouldn't dispute for a second though that LCB was an area we should have strengthened in the window, but didn't.

Davies is actually becoming overrated in my opinion. When Dier went from holding mid to centre half he got highly inspected by everyone. When Davies moves from LB to LCB, nobody is even talking about his mistakes. They are there all the time. He's not winning his duels and often vacates the space. When he reacts in the moment and saves the day, everyone goes "great defending". The other 50% of the time when he is horribly out of position, nobody even notices. I do. What fans want to talk about is when he get in the opposition box and nearly scores.

Ben will also need a season or 2 to make that playing adjustment if he is going to improve. There seems little point though. He's not even 6 foot and doesn't have the ability on the ball.

I'd be making the change immediately and investing in one of the 2 younger lads, Japhet and Rodon. That is not knowing what would happen if Romero played on the left. We know Dier and Sanchez can't, but don't know enough about Romero yet.

Davies is actually becoming overrated in my opinion. When Dier went from holding mid to centre half he got highly inspected by everyone. When Davies moves from LB to LCB, nobody is even talking about his mistakes. They are there all the time. He's not winning his duels and often vacates the space. When he reacts in the moment and saves the day, everyone goes "great defending". The other 50% of the time when he is horribly out of position, nobody even notices. I do. What fans want to talk about is when he get in the opposition box and nearly scores.

Ben will also need a season or 2 to make that playing adjustment if he is going to improve. There seems little point though. He's not even 6 foot and doesn't have the ability on the ball.

I'd be making the change immediately and investing in one of the 2 younger lads, Japhet and Rodon. That is not knowing what would happen if Romero played on the left. We know Dier and Sanchez can't, but don't know enough about Romero yet.

I think most see Davies as a temporary measure. I expect him to be replaced for next season.

Dier on the other hand is clearly being talked about as a long term CB which is ludicrous.

If we generally really want to break into the top 3 neither Dier or Davies are at the level required.

I do think both will improve now Bentancur is here. I see him as a better shield than the others we have.

My next player to add to Hugo is Dier.
Negative.....still learning the CB position.
Positives.....Leader, Reader, In the air, technically sound, physical strength.

My best 11 is judged as of now. The new players are unknowns inc Romero. I will have problems picking the CBs and RB or RWB but will do it based on performance so far.

I'm going Sanchez and Davies either side of Dier as CBs. Doherty gets the nod over Royal at RWB but only because of Royals deficiencies.
Sanchez negatives....too reactionary and last ditch.
Positives.....pace and strength.
Davies negatives.....gets beaten too often.
Positives.....Focus, experience, can drive forward.

Doherty negatives....lacking confidence.
Positives.....in the air, focus.

Last edited:
Reggie is a reluctant pick as LWB but Sessegnon still behind him.
Negatives....defensively suspect .
Positives....attacking threat.

I think most see Davies as a temporary measure. I expect him to be replaced for next season.

Dier on the other hand is clearly being talked about as a long term CB which is ludicrous.

If we generally really want to break into the top 3 neither Dier or Davies are at the level required.

I do think both will improve now Bentancur is here. I see him as a better shield than the others we have.

Yeah, I've asked the question before about Romero and have always been told that he won the Serie A defender of the year playing in the middle of a back 3. Don't know whether Conte's strategy is to start him right of Dier and then move him central at some point, as he learns to play in this league. Perhaps, he'll throw him straight in there and play Dier right.

Dier is a solid squad player that I would be sad to see leave the club. He's having a very good season and a massive reason why we have the 6th best defensive record in the league, even though it feels a lot worse. Just like Hugo. Just like Skipp.

There does come a time when you need better though. Bastoni and Aarons for me as the next logical step. I'd be disrupting Joe Gomez as well and reminding him about the world cup. England's best centre half.

I have to go Hojbjerg and Skipp in MF as I can't judge the new signings.
Hojbjerg Negatives......slow
Positives.....Leader, reader, focus, drive.

So as of now

Hugo
Sanchez
Dier
Davies
Reggie
Doherty
Hojbjerg
Skipp
Moura or Bergwijn
Son
Kane.

I hope I can change this over the next few weeks.

So it's settled then. The team for the rest of the season is.....

Lloris
Romero, Dier, Davies
Emerson, Skipp, Hojbjerg, Reggie
Moura, Kane, Son

Subs: Kulu, Bentancur, Winks, Stevie

:LOL::LOL::LOL: