OT - Wayne Rooney. | Vital Football

OT - Wayne Rooney.

GuessWhoseBack

Vital Newbie
I am in disbelief at the amount of people slagging him off. A world class player who will break a ex world class players record.

Just because he plays for Man United dosent mean you can't give him the credit he deserves.

Hope you don't mind me posting this in this part of the forum.

Nowt to do with Manure, Bobby Charlton also played for them ( admittedly before the whinging years).

I simply think that a lot of Rooney's goals have been scored against inferior opposition, to say nothing of a very lighter ball.

Bobby scored tremendous goals from midfield and, imo, was a superior player.

At 16 Rooney had the potential to become a top top player but although he had done very well he hasn't fulfilled that potential.

Frankly he is now living on past glories and look a shadow of the player he was.

Time he was put out to grass.

At 16 Rooney had the potential to become a top top player but although he had done very well he hasn't fulfilled that potential.

Frankly he is now living on past glories and look a shadow of the player he was.

Time he was put out to grass.

His achievement certainly shouldn't be underestimated but, for reasons already mentioned in this thread, I don't think he can be held quite in the same esteem as the likes of Bobby Charlton or Gary Lineker.

Impossible to compare players of different eras, but nothing should take away from what an achievement this is. He stayed at the top level for his entire career and has always turned out for England under enormous personal pressure due to the expectations around him. His goal tally speaks for itself. If it was easy to do what he's done, then there would be far more player contending for the record, but there aren't.