Orient | Vital Football

Orient

Alfalf2

Vital Reserves Team
No easy games in League Two and tomorrow is a good instance of a game that is not easy. I gather the O's are doing "a fiver for footie" offer so there will be a bumper home crowd. If Pools actually turn up like they did at Bradford it should be a very good contest and all three results realistically possible.

I'm not expecting a great deal from tomorrow's match, Pools don't usually fare well in games involving Southern teams. Will be happy with a draw.

I most certainly agree a draw would be a good result. I will be at the game tomorrow so here's hoping I'm not a jinx. I will faithfully report my impressions tomorrow evening at some point or maybe Sunday if I need longer to gather my thoughts......or maybe not at all if it all goes t*ts up. I long remember an away trip one damp October to Southend. A brace from Borthwick giving Pools a two nil lead at half time. Second half a player called Richard Cadette absolutely tortured Pools and we lost 3-2. Talk about sick as a cowboy's horse! Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Too many changes from our "best" starting 11?
I was concerned that Byrnes absence would be significant, but it would appear that there were several players off their game!

Struggling for words. Orient a big strong side who pressed us and forced error after error. Three of the goals were a direct result of Pools howlers, two misplaced passes in danger areas (Mr Ogle) and a goalkeeping pass straight to their player. Boy did we miss Sterry. They would have beaten us anyway but we helped by gifting them three goals. We didnt seem up for the physical battle with the exception of Angol who tried his best. Cullen might as well have not been on the pitch and Mols tried a few runs but lacked support. The Orient number 9 won everything in the air (Byrne would have given him more of a contest) and by the second half no one was bothering to compete with him. Note to self: stop going to Pools away games because you only bring bad luck and disappointment. Poolie fans sang all through the game and tried their best to lift the team but it was a hopeless task. A miserable and long journey home for them. My journey was much shorter but equally as miserable. Dont want to think about football for a day or two. Gutted.

Dave Challinor agrees with you. Sounds like a totally miserable performance. Quite a lot of dodgy refereeing too, by the sound of it?

From what, little, can be gleaned from the match highlights (sic) - Pools would appear to have struggle with Orients physicality, high press and direct style of play. Perhaps Alf2 can shed some light?

The ref was laughable at times but with the best ref in the world we still would have lost because Orient just seemed stronger, more determined more capable.

From what, little, can be gleaned from the match highlights (sic) - Pools would appear to have struggle with Orients physicality, high press and direct style of play. Perhaps Alf2 can shed some light?
The first 15 minutes were fairly even and slightly scrappy but then a pattern began to emerge. OP you are absolutely right about the press. There were times when the Pools player in possession was isolated with two sometimes three Orient players round him and just nowhere to play the ball except back which then led to further pressure. Sometimes a defender would get a pass through to Mols who would have space for a run but he had no support and was outmuscled by the Orient defence. When we kept trying to play short passes, Orient took advantage. Orient were physical at times particularly in the first half but then realized there was no need for it because Pools were not posing any kind of physical challenge. You could say Orient were "direct" but that is not necessarily a criticism because we had no clue how to combat it. They battered us. At half time I was hoping Pools would come out fighting and try to get something from the game but not a hint, Orient dismantled us. I keep wondering why this happened and can only conclude that Orient were very good at what they do and we just didn't have the type of players to stop them and as the score line deteriorated more and more Pools players went into their shells making it easier for Orient. As I said earlier, Angol really did his best and was up for a fight and Mols was a willing runner apart from that no positives.

DC's departure puts a different complexion on this performance.
Perhaps the players were aware of the impending departure and were, as we all are, shocked resulting in the lacklustre performance.

Anyhow, time to move on.