Opening Day Fixture Memories | Vital Football

Opening Day Fixture Memories

SeasideEssexXile

Vital Football Legend
Was thinking about the start of the season and reminisced over opening day games.

My funniest memory was the 84-85 season at Halifax. Kevin Stonehouse double saw us wing 2-0 at the Shay but that old ground used to have a speedway cinder track around it and as the Olympics were on Pool fans had their own sprint races around it before the game started.

Most elated game was at Lesturd at the 07-08 season. Buzz going round as we started our first game in the top 2 divisions in almost 30 years. Everyone lumping on Keigan Parker to score the first vgoal at 50/1. The gnashers goal giving us the win - "Hello hello, Blackpool are back, Blackpool are back.

For the "I can't believe it match" it has to be the opening game at Wiggun. the 4-0 win put us briefy back at the top of the Premiership. Essex Snr and TC there with me something I never thought my 3 generations would ever see.

What's your funniest / happiest memories of opening day Pool games.

Thanks SEX for the SSN clip of the Wigan opener. Everyone should watch that. Great stuff. I remember watching the game live on TV here and could not believe what I was seeing!