On this day | Page 19 | Vital Football

On this day

Went with my father to see the 1972 game. Being only 11, I couldn't see anything on the Leppings end which was rammed. We were right in the corner under the old control box, and by half time Dad decided to transfer us to the seats for the second half, by which time Pele was at the other end and I saw next to nowt of him. I don't remember much else about it.

Been to Swillsbro twice. Once with my dad in the 1940s when I was a nipper when I didn’t know any better, then for the Santos Pele game.

On this day 3 months ago Hecky was given the BLADES job.I wonder how many fans have changed their minds about his appointment,given the superb way he, Jack & Macca have turned our season round. UTB

On this day 3 months ago Hecky was given the BLADES job.I wonder how many fans have changed their minds about his appointment,given the superb way he, Jack & Macca have turned our season round. UTB
It's the next 3 months that count.
90% of managers with 34 points out of 45 will be safe from criticism - Pep, Klopp and anyone at Chelsea being the exceptions.
Piggies would be creaming themselves or wanting them sacked after 3 points from 1 game depending on how many were there:eek:

You keep banging on about this Rod, but his job is to build a team that can win games. He's doing very well, and I'm sure has everyones support.

Given his past record of not really building successful teams, some were right to be sceptical. But for now, he will get full support until he loses his way, like Wilder did, like all managers do in the end and starts leading us down the league again.

The club is more important than its manager...

You keep banging on about this Rod, but his job is to build a team that can win games. He's doing very well, and I'm sure has everyones support.

Given his past record of not really building successful teams, some were right to be sceptical. But for now, he will get full support until he loses his way, like Wilder did, like all managers do in the end and starts leading us down the league again.

Are you sure Hecky was given the job to get promotion FKB?

Last edited:
Are you sure Nekcy was given the job to get promotion FKB?

With the 'remote possibility' or even in 'hope of', but certainly not the 'expectation', imo. He was the cheap alternative after the mismatch with Slav, especially bearing in mind our league position at the time. Put in to stabilise the ship, keep the costs down and hope for the best.

Fortunately, Hecky does get us, much better than Slav did. He's been able to create a bit of magic. Sometimes things turn out better than you hoped, sometimes they don't.

Of course the club is more important,i don't believe i've said otherwise.I think Hecky & the staff have done very well and i wasn't having a dig at anyone but merely askin the question of how many fans have changed their minds over his appointment and i don't really see what was wrong with the question but hey ho. UTB

RIP to the Greatest BLADE i've ever met SHRED passed away 27th Feb, 7 years ago. I remember when i heard of SHRED's passing i couldn't believe it. Gone but never forgotten. UTB
Greatest Blade, full stop and one of the nicest. Remember talking to him outside Debenhams the week before. Can't believe it's 7 years.

I can remember being stood on the kop with my dad not long after TC was signed. There was a bloke stood behind us slagging him off at every opportunity i'd no idea who he was but he tapped me on the shoulder and said watch him son run about aimlessly and jump up and down now and again and you could become a pro. How wrong was he, as we all know he became one of the best if not the best to wear the shirt. Toss up between TC and Woody for me.

I can remember being stood on the kop with my dad not long after TC was signed. There was a bloke stood behind us slagging him off at every opportunity i'd no idea who he was but he tapped me on the shoulder and said watch him son run about aimlessly and jump up and down now and again and you could become a pro. How wrong was he, as we all know he became one of the best if not the best to wear the shirt. Toss up between TC and Woody for me.
My top 2 but TC all day long for me. UTB