On this day in 1997. | Vital Football

On this day in 1997.

chris who

Vital Champions League
Bob Taylor was signed for £500,000 we can only dream of being able to spend that much these days .But what a player the way he could strike a ball with alm almost no back lift at all .Amazing player oh to find a Bob Taylor on a free transfer today 24 years on there has to be a freebie out there somewhere who could do a amazing job .It is finding him and signing him up.Lets face it he could be 4 foot nothing if he was as good as Bob was at striking a ball and had pace that would do for me.

An amazing player who didn't start too well at all !!! What a player he became though.

At that time we were able to sign players from Brentford as we were the bigger club. How times have changed.

Whilst most will agree that Scally has kept us stable we simply can't progress under him and many of our old peers (Brentford, Reading and Bournemouth as examples) have left us far behind. Of course the likes of Bury, Stockport, Notts Co, York and Southend would swap with us tomorrow.

Careful what you wish for I guess but the prospect of no future progress (unless we count promotion from league 2 to league 1) is disappointing.

Strikers in general seem to be a problem. Akinde claims he has received offers but none are currently seen as right for him. If he goes, Big V will be our only out and out striker.

Lots of midfielders and enough defenders have been signed both permanently and on loan in the past 3 seasons, but how many strikers?

I think both Lee and Lloyd can play in advanced positions, but they are not strikers.

Not factually correct as he signed in 1998 after Akinbiyi was sold.

Agree with all the other sentiments though. What a player, and what a partnership between him and Asaba, it’s been a long wait to see that emulated and I think it’ll be a lot longer yet!

I used to tell my mates that I went with to the games to enjoy these times because it’s as good as it’s ever going to get.
A few of them still moaned and complained when we were in the Championship.
Those were our glory days.

Not factually correct as he signed in 1998 after Akinbiyi was sold.

The club got it wrong too -

Gillingham FC on Facebook -
#OnThisDay in 1️⃣9️⃣9️⃣7️⃣, #Gills pay a club record fee of £500,000 for striker Robert Taylor! 👊

According to Wiki it was 1998 he signed.

The club got it wrong too -

Gillingham FC on Facebook -
#OnThisDay in 1️⃣9️⃣9️⃣7️⃣, #Gills pay a club record fee of £500,000 for striker Robert Taylor! 👊

According to Wiki it was 1998 he signed.

It was definitely 1998…it was just before Sarbs joined from Reading!

Sorry I didn't check. Lesson one don't believe anything on Facebook. Anyway nice to have a Bob Taylor thread regardless of the date he signed.

What's mad, is that there were only two transfers in league one last season that were higher than £500k (disclosed at least), and they were both by Peterborough who had sold Toney for £5m.

There were so few transfer fees paid last year, I just don't think the days of paying transfer fees are really a thing for the exceptional majority of league one clubs anymore

I think that paying transfer fees will slowly fade away in all divisions including the Premier League.
More players seem to see out contracts and move for nothing

I think that paying transfer fees will slowly fade away in all divisions including the Premier League.
More players seem to see out contracts and move for nothing

You might be right there Shotty.

And it simply means less money in the hands of football clubs. And more money in the pockets of players and (more likely) agents