On this day in 1982! | Vital Football

On this day in 1982!

Yours truly was in the Railway End for this as well.

Only 2-0 at HT too. As the pitch started to freeze in the 2nd half Bournemouth increasingly struggled to keep their feet and it could have been a few more if it was not for the Bournemouth keeper who played out of his skin.

Back in the day when I used to write all over my programmes! Step forward the years and reluctant to let anyone who had handled pre-match food within touching distance! Nice to know that OG was there to help the score.

The Bournemouth keeper did indeed play a blinder as ETB says, even though you wouldn't think it from the score. Without him in that form it would have been a club record win.

Redknapp blamed the footwear, for which he no doubt had a point.

One of the goals, as I remember it, Glenn Cockerill picked the ball up on the halfway line, ran down the entire length of the Sincil Bank touchline, then across the goalline at the Railway End before scoring.

I was meant to be playing that day, 50 miles away for a 2pm kick off. That pitch was completely frozen so unsurprisingly it was called off at 1.30.

I ummed and ahhed about trying to make it to Sincil Bank and eventually decided to, getting on to the Sincil Bank terrace after about a minute had been played.

I've never been so glad to have made a last minute decision to go to a game.

Nobody knew at the time that it was pretty much all downhill after that.

The Bournemouth keeper did indeed play a blinder as ETB says, even though you wouldn't think it from the score. Without him in that form it would have been a club record win.

Redknapp blamed the footwear, for which he no doubt had a point.

If memory serves the Imps played in astro-turf boots (which were not very common back then) that day, which helped them keep their feet. I have no idea what Bournemouth played with, probably training shoes.

I was sat in the South Park right next to the away terrace. Spent most of the game having a laugh and some banter with a Bournemouth fan stood below.
His gallows humour was brilliant and helped keep me warm with laughter.

I listening to the Ed Lacy show and its updates via Chris Parkin on radio lincs does that count?
Not many there that day from memory?
Used to have the football echo and the Monday's echo match reports in a scrap book for many years.
What a side they were.