Oliver Skipp - Player Thread | Page 6 | Vital Football

Oliver Skipp - Player Thread

Agreed that he isnt going to step up to be the player that we hoped a few years back. But I would keep him ahead of Hojbjerg though. Especially when you start to look at home grown quotas (and club trained player quotas for Europe next season) etc
I expect him to stay for those reasons. Hopefully it will mean he is 5th,6th choice though come next season.

I guess that's the point. He is of some use if we really need him. That sums up what is required from most squad players.

I'm not sure a winning club would have that perspective. A winning club would move them on at this stage, and create space for the next talented youngster to come through.

We got Skipp involved at 18 and I remember his debut coinciding with his A-levels. He never looked better than on loan at Norwich in the Championship. 5 years on and he's 5th or 6th choice. Sarr is 2 years younger and has forged ahead, despite Conte holding them both back.

A first teamer in Sarr and a pile of cash for Skipp. I call that success.

I'm not sure a winning club would have that perspective. A winning club would move them on at this stage, and create space for the next talented youngster to come through.

We got Skipp involved at 18 and I remember his debut coinciding with his A-levels. He never looked better than on loan at Norwich in the Championship. 5 years on and he's 5th or 6th choice. Sarr is 2 years younger and has forged ahead, despite Conte holding them both back.

A first teamer in Sarr and a pile of cash for Skipp. I call that success.
I don't disagree with that, mate, but I think we need him to do a job until we can bring in someone sunstantially better.

Gomez coming on damn near killed us. I thought to myself he would look good in a Spurs kit. LOL
Before his injury and then his loan to recover his confidence, we were tracking him closely, but then came our changing of the guard and we quietly dropped any interest.

Unless forced to (which still might happen) Sean won't sell him.

Unless 777 doesn't get over the lines soon, Everton will face an almost impossible cash crunch in January.

Before his injury and then his loan to recover his confidence, we were tracking him closely, but then came our changing of the guard and we quietly dropped any interest.

Unless forced to (which still might happen) Sean won't sell him.

Unless 777 doesn't get over the lines soon, Everton will face an almost impossible cash crunch in January.
Gomes is a quality player.

He’s out of contract in the summer and turns 31 in July. He will certainly be a decent signing for someone on a free for a few seasons.

We could certainly do worse than him as backup to Bentancur, Bissouma and Sarr.

He will do well in the Championship but just does not fit in this new Spurs style like Winks Carroll Townsend also didnt make the grade .. all acadamy cannon fodder
Academy players that you go on to sell for £5m-£15m are worth their weight in gold as their transfer fees can be re-invested into the likes or Sarr and Udogie.

Off the top of my head, the likes of Carter-Vickers, Winks, Walker-Peters and Bentaleb have generated decent transfer fees over the years.

If anything we need to produce more players like these. The ones that might not make the grade here yet generate decent transfer fees nevertheless.

Academy players that you go on to sell for £5m-£15m are worth their weight in gold as their transfer fees can be re-invested into the likes or Sarr and Udogie.

Off the top of my head, the likes of Carter-Vickers, Winks, Walker-Peters and Bentaleb have generated decent transfer fees over the years.

If anything we need to produce more players like these. The ones that might not make the grade here yet generate decent transfer fees nevertheless.
I think that pretty much sums up Levy's business model re. youth and transfers.
No bad thing at all when it works out!