Oliver Sarkic | Vital Football

Oliver Sarkic

inside_man

Vital Squad Member
Blackpool Football Club is pleased to confirm the signing of Oliver Sarkic on a two-year contract, with the Club holding an Option to extend the deal by a further 12 months.

Born in Grimsby, the 22-year-old exciting attacking-midfielder started his career as a highly rated prospect in the academies of Anderlecht and Benfica, prior to making 44 appearances for the latter’s B side.

Capped seven times for Montenegro at Under-21 level, Sarkic moved back to England in 2018, signing for Leeds United. He then joined Burton Albion last summer, where he made 37 appearances across all competitions, scoring five goals.

On signing for Blackpool, Oliver Sarkic said:

“It feels amazing to be here at Blackpool Football Club.

“I spoke to Neil Critchley at length, having met him previously when I was playing in Portugal, and he explained the project that is in place here which really excites me. The Club has a real plan to grow over the coming years, and it’s a real pleasure to be here.

“I feel I can bring a great deal to the side, having spent some of my career in other countries around Europe. Not only that, but I had a really good experience last season with Burton Albion, so I know what to expect from League One.

“I feel confident I can bring a great deal to the side in the final third and am really looking forward to the future here.”

Neil Critchley said:

“I’ve been aware of Oli since he was 17-years-old from his time at Anderlecht. I’ve tracked his progress since then and feel his quality and intelligence in the final third will be a real asset to the team.

“He has a great ability on the ball and has proven experience at this level, which is something we feel is crucial. He shares the Club’s ambition going forward and we’re thrilled that he has decided to join us.

I noticed him when I was looking at Scott Fraser (who I posted about in the recommend a player thread), but shied away from him because I wasn't sure he was a fit for what we need (he plays anywhere across the front). With him and Keshi arriving it looks like Critch might play a 4-2-3-1 rather than a 4-3-3.

What interested me when I had a look at him was that he's left Burton et al because he wants first team football... is that guaranteed with us?

Essex Snr pointed out that we were linked with his brother - the keeper at Villa earlier in the window.
Wonder if he will be joining us now?
Still only Maxwell and Simms as keepers on the books.

I noticed him when I was looking at Scott Fraser (who I posted about in the recommend a player thread), but shied away from him because I wasn't sure he was a fit for what we need (he plays anywhere across the front). With him and Keshi arriving it looks like Critch might play a 4-2-3-1 rather than a 4-3-3.

What interested me when I had a look at him was that he's left Burton et al because he wants first team football... is that guaranteed with us?

37 games for Burton last season, virtually an ever present.

How Brewers' Oliver Sarkic is endearing himself to fans, team-mates and bosses
Grimsby-born, Belgium-raised Montenegran who is really settling in to life at Burton Albion.

It is not just goals in each of his last two matches that have started to convince Burton Albion supporters that Oliver Sarkic might be the latest gem unearthed by Brewers boss Nigel Clough.
Sarkic is endearing himself to team-mates, the management and fans by his selfless approach, hard work and technical ability. The goals are the obvious factor.

It was only when watching the footage of Sarkic’s emphatically-volleyed finish in the Carabao Cup tie against Bournemouth from behind the goal, thanks to the club’s useful net-mounted “goal-cam” that the technique involved could really be appreciated.
The quality of his second goal, against Milton Keynes Dons on Saturday, was more immediately obvious.

Receiving the ball from the latest of Scott Fraser’s astute passes, 20 yards out, Sarkic turned to make a yard of space and picked his spot in the top corner of the net with a shot that left Dons keeper Lee Nicholls diving pointlessly.
“I see Ollie do that every day in training and before every match,” said an admiring Liam Boyce, who scored twice himself in the 3-0 win.
He has unbelievable technique. In shooting drills in training, he does that every time he gets the ball, so I keep saying, keep shooting, keep shooting, it’s going to go in.

As soon as he hit it, you knew it was going in, the keeper had no chance. That’s the sort of quality he has, even when he’s crossing, he always puts it in the right position. He’s a quality player.”

Essex Snr pointed out that we were linked with his brother - the keeper at Villa earlier in the window.
Wonder if he will be joining us now?
Still only Maxwell and Simms as keepers on the books.
Would make sense wouldn't it, especially with Critch being familiar with him from the U23 league.