Old Sincil Bank | Vital Football

Old Sincil Bank

I don't think you can tell which way the pitch would be, as it's July and there are no goal posts.

It was certainly the "right" way round by 1932.

and a hundred years later the once industrious Lincoln is reduced to 27 KFC and 14 Wetherspoons.

very sad.

if it wasn’t for tourism the city would be screwed

and a hundred years later the once industrious Lincoln is reduced to 27 KFC and 14 Wetherspoons.

very sad.

if it wasn’t for tourism the city would be screwed
Unfortunately times change. Lincoln is still a great City to live in and as you say the industry in Lincoln has gone as have the coal mines around the country. Lincoln is now a great place for students to enhance their education and hopefully they will be fellow Imps for the rest of their lives

I don't think you can tell which way the pitch would be, as it's July and there are no goal posts.

It was certainly the "right" way round by 1932.

There's a photo in the Nannestads' Official History dated 'pre-1925' which shows goalposts at the Railway End.

I've never seen it mentioned but looking at the location of the enclosure at the Railway End and the width overall it makes you wonder if a) some level of cricket was played on there or b) whether the pitch was rotated width ways (not turned 180 degrees) each season to help with wear and drainage.

As far as I am aware the Sincil Bank pitch has always been on a north-south axis whereas John O'Gaunts was always east-west. Team pictures before around 1925 were often taken at the Railway End, which was open banking, and these show goalposts. The pitch possibly looks wide because there was a running track on the St Andrew's side. There is no evidence for the orientation of pitch ever being changed.

Great photograph, I love these old images. I don't think the pitch is the other way around. In addition to perspective being compacted by height and angle, there was a lot more space around the edge of the pitch before the ground was extensively redeveloped very soon after the photograph was taken. According to Ian's book, the South Park Stand was built in 1929, the St Andrews in 1932, and the SB terrace not paved until 1952. Bazzzer's map appears to still show the original St Andrews Stand. All of that would have taken up part of the space visible in the photo and created the more obvious rectangle that still exists today.

Unfortunately times change. Lincoln is still a great City to live in and as you say the industry in Lincoln has gone as have the coal mines around the country. Lincoln is now a great place for students to enhance their education and hopefully they will be fellow Imps for the rest of their lives

Is it? Have you tried running the gauntlet of all the druggies on the High Street lower end lately. My god every time you go past St Marks and head south you take your life in your hands. I mean I don't care but it must be so intimidating for women and people of a nervous disposition.

I was coming round St Catherines roundabout the other day and down South Park and two druggies who were clearly stoned out of their minds staggered straight across the road without looking. I stopped but the car coming the other way pipped their hooter and flashed their lights. The one who appeared slightly less stoned turned round and kicked the front of the car while trying to give them the finger. They then staggered off and presumably up the High Street and it gets worse by the month.

I certainly won't park on Portland Street or anywhere near there anymore I know two people who have had their cars vandalised while parked on there.

Last edited:
all areas have the resident deadbeats - the needle will get them in the end. It is just a shame they are in that state (I cant imagine anyone actually opts for that life style) and the damage it does to those who care about them.

Lincoln rough whilst unpleasant isn't really in the same league as say Bristol or Birmingham rough which is just awful. It is getting worse following years and years of state neglect.

Traffic - the worst places seems to be terrible everywhere these days. If anyone has had to navigate across Bristol they have my sympathies it is awful!

Is it? Have you tried running the gauntlet of all the druggies on the High Street lower end lately. My god every time you go past St Marks and head south you take your life in your hands. I mean I don't care but it must be so intimidating for women and people of a nervous disposition.

I was coming round St Catherines roundabout the other day and down South Park and two druggies who were clearly stoned out of their minds staggered straight across the road without looking. I stopped but the car coming the other way pipped their hooter and flashed their lights. The one who appeared slightly less stoned turned round and kicked the front of the car while trying to give them the finger. They then staggered off and presumably up the High Street and it gets worse by the month.

I certainly won't park on Portland Street or anywhere near there anymore I know two people who have had their cars vandalised while parked on there.

Unfortunately I don't think this issue is peculiar to Lincoln. Your post reads like frequent articles in our local rag about our city centre (Hanley) and a couple of the other towns

Unfortunately I don't think this issue is peculiar to Lincoln. Your post reads like frequent articles in our local rag about our city centre (Hanley) and a couple of the other towns

I'm sure there isn't an urban area in the country that doesn't have these issues - and I include most small towns as well.

Just been watching the The Red Imps 20th Anniversary Documentary, and it's worth a watch - less than 8 minutes long . But even if you're not interested/don't want to sit through it . there is some film showing the "old" ground - especially the Railway End, and including the railway bridge. It's on for about 20 seconds from around 5mins 40secs

I had a few days holiday in Chester last year, nice historic city I thought (which it was) but couldn’t move for such people as mentioned in prior post. Same last time I went to Bath