Old Leazes | Vital Football

Old Leazes

Finn_the_Dog

Vital Squad Member
It’s with great sadness that I have to inform you all that Old Leazes has past away in China.

For my part, I got to know him personally via this board’s previous incarnation. From there, we would meet up for home games and enjoyed away trips to the likes of Middlesbrough, Nottingham and Peterborough that will live with me forever, particularly the pub in Darlington prior to the boro game! We also enjoyed drinking sessions and afternoon meet ups in Newcastle with another former poster, The Corner, and my best bud John. Seriously good times and memories!

An engaging, very funny and highly intelligent man with an amazing knowledge of history and politics. A man with great awareness. A musician and man of the community in his activities back home. As we do, his passion for NUFC and knowledge of the club and it’s history were boundless. A man of talent.

A man, it has to be said, who was also fallible and openly admitted mistakes he had made in his life. But he had the the guts and determination to make something of his life and was brave enough to uproot and travel the breadth of the world to achieve that.

I am well aware that he could also come across as a character who may have fallen out with a few on here. He was a fella that enjoyed banter and was happy to rub people the wrong way to see the sparks. That is understood and he would admit that. He wasn’t one to suffer fools if he saw it that way. For the sake of his family - who I understand suffered a further devastation as his mother has also past away over the same weekend following the shock she suffered at learning the news of OL, I beg of you not to post anything that could be construed as derogatory. I’m sure you won’t. This is clearly a double tragedy for his family that I can’t imagine.

For me, I am proud to have known him and to call him my friend.

Really saddened to hear this - I had my run ins with OL but he also gave me a great deal of support at times.

We also spoke behind the scenes regarding his love of Northern Soul.

He was a fantastic poster and I loved his more heated exchanges.

Great words Finn and my sincere condolences to OL's family

Last edited:
It’s with great sadness that I have to inform you all that Old Leazes has past away in China.

For my part, I got to know him personally via this board’s previous incarnation. From there, we would meet up for home games and enjoyed away trips to the likes of Middlesbrough, Nottingham and Peterborough that will live with me forever, particularly the pub in Darlington prior to the boro game! We also enjoyed drinking sessions and afternoon meet ups in Newcastle with another former poster, The Corner, and my best bud John. Seriously good times and memories!

An engaging, very funny and highly intelligent man with an amazing knowledge of history and politics. A man with great awareness. A musician and man of the community in his activities back home. As we do, his passion for NUFC and knowledge of the club and it’s history were boundless. A man of talent.

A man, it has to be said, who was also fallible and openly admitted mistakes he had made in his life. But he had the the guts and determination to make something of his life and was brave enough to uproot and travel the breadth of the world to achieve that.

I am well aware that he could also come across as a character who may have fallen out with a few on here. He was a fella that enjoyed banter and was happy to rub people the wrong way to see the sparks. That is understood and he would admit that. He wasn’t one to suffer fools if he saw it that way. For the sake of his family - who I understand suffered a further devastation as his mother has also past away over the same weekend following the shock she suffered at learning the news of OL, I beg of you not to post anything that could be construed as derogatory. I’m sure you won’t. This is clearly a double tragedy for his family that I can’t imagine.

For me, I am proud to have known him and to call him my friend.
Well said mate we all need to meet up we owe him a pint.

I, like loads no doubt, crossed paths with OL on too many occasions to count. What I would say though is that there was never any personal baggage taken away and points were always argued well regardless whether you agreed at times.

I also had many private message interactions and suggestions or 'advice' were common but I also received plenty of messages from others who may not have agreed with him at times and would call on me to 'step in' or whatever but Ive never been a one to try and sway a person's own views nor would I ever want to do that. Life is running out of characters and they're being replaced with sheep or snowflakes. OL was nowhere near anyone of those and for that he deserves respect from everyone.

I too offer my condolences to all concerned and concur that he was right up there with the best posters that our forums have had. Ive missed OL's posts out of the blue with me expecting a thread saying 'Greetings From China' or whatever for ages as he could tell a good story but now I know we wont get anymore but if it's any comfort, Finn's words are fitting and OL joins the increasing list of people who once frequented the board and are now lost. RIP OL

Sad news but respect Finn for sharing it with us. Sadly, the forum has dwindled from it's rollercoaster times prior Ashley. So many great threads and discussions. No doubt OL had his opinions but the forum will be all the poorer for his passing. RIP fella.

Shocked & saddened to hear this.Thanks for sharing Finn.
Met Kevin a few times, mainly through my music but socially a few times.
I know he could be brutal sometimes on here but he was a kind & warm man.
So sorry to hear about his Mam too, pass my condolences on Finn.
RIP fella & safe journey.

It's amazing how word gets around.

Old Leazes was an amazing character. As has been said, he made mistakes and was open about them. I hope he wouldn't mind my likening him to Joey Barton who went off the rails but the measure of the man is how you handle it. The way OL did it generated huge respect.

It may not have been obvious on here but he was deeply sensitive and with a hugely generous spirit, whatever image he portrayed. To those of us who were here when Bowburnmag went, he was immense.

If anyone has any connection to remaining family, please pass on my best, even though it might be a raindrop in a sea of tears. We could all learn a thing or two from him.

Just to add in a late edit, spoke to my son this evening too and mentioned the news. Likewise, he was fully aware of OL's influence and had hoped to meet up with this amazing character at one of the Bowburnmag charity days. Sadly, it didn't happen but that doesn't diminish the memory of both legends.

Last edited:
Sad news indeed , especially so considering the family's loss of his mother as well.

I never liked his personal attacks but came to recognise his sensitive nature and devilish humour through PM's we shared.

I especially liked that he had something to say and said it, a quality that is disappearing rapidly in todays world.

RIP

Hi. Thanks for all your comments about my brother, Old Leazes. It doesn't surprise me in the least that sometimes he could fall out with people on here but also give insight into something that you may not have thought of before. He could be Jekyll and Hyde at times but all in all, he was a very decent, kind man who lived by his own rules and loved a good debate on just about anything.

I know some of you had met him in person and some just on here but wanted to let you know that his funeral still has not been held in China, lots of complications and COVID lockdowns etc. My friends have kindly set up a gofundme page which you can find here, should you want to help.

https://gofund.me/4d799872

If this isn't allowed, my apologies and please remove.

Kevin was the first person to take me to the match, when I was about 12 and we went to most home games from around 82/3 to 1990, before I moved away. Usually the gallowgate under the scoreboard but sometimes the corner or Leazes. An email he sent me just days before his accident, he wasn't happy with the new owners but no one could ever take away that he witnessed beardsley at his best, Gazza, Waddle, Keegan and he loved nothing better than having a few beers, a bet (often a losing one) a bit of a sing and victory to see him home. Memories that will last forever.