Oh Nottingham, is full of fun? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Oh Nottingham, is full of fun?

Sums it up.
I sang it back then but wouldn't these days (unless very drunk and nostalgic). And certainly not with the kids!

Never really saw why people didn't want women at the game. I think now it's because it frees people up to be misogynistic with the lads without any reply. You'd be less likely to sing Get Yer Tits Out For The Lads standing next to your wife /girlfriend.

Also, a small part of me went to forest in the mid-nineties because I fancied a season ticket holder.

Only a small part, mind you. Fnarr.

I was a young teen, who revelled in the freedom the terraces offered me in contrast to a liberal middle class upbringing. It was a profoundly important part of growing up having a safe space to be angry, sad, happy etc. in the company of men. Anything that threatened that I was extremely defensive over.

I'm not a boy anymore...

There are a couple of interesting posts on LTLF from a lady involved in the game and while I don't think she finds it particularly offensive in isolation (nor does she seem to want it banned) she makes valid points about it being a small part of a larger whole that excludes or makes life uncomfortable for women in sport.

The subtext very much is misogynistic and definitely not inclusive.

I absolutely sang it in the TE of old and if you'd asked me then I'd have said good, we don't want women at football but I've long since changed and I hope we as club will too.

This is all part of growing up :thumbup:

This chant doesn't really bother me, though I'm fairly certain it says more about the intelligence of those singing it than those wanting it banned.

My wife joins in, but simply changes the words to Shoes, shopping & Forest while my daughters understand there will be language heard at the football that belongs in a bygone era, in truth its generally just a sign of a limited vocabulary.

You may well hear appauling language in school play grounds, but mainly from the the offspring of parents with a limited vocabulary.

It's not the profanity you farting ****, it's the fucking fact that shitholes like you refuse to grow up and realize how fucking stupid you sound with your mi·sog·y·nist beer-bellied bollocks you call banter! Go and shove a fucking hedgehog up your twatting arse you overgrown Chump! You sound like a pissing middle aged teenage-wanna-be you fucking turd!

Wow!!
Touched a nerve did I sweetheart?
Have a read back over your post and compare the verbiage used, it makes Tits and Fanny pale into insignificance. I think we’ve established where the low intellect lies...

Oi oi geretcha, Gerra birra lemonade in me laarrrger watch me auld China facking West Am sing it, they’re tough as auld daisies though & lav their auld mums though, knew the Krays she did knees app muva brawn.

Be lacky

Wow just wow. Have no idea why they would sing that, they have a lot of stuff there but none of it good.

Looks as though it's mostly about setting an example and as an old parent I agree. Can't remember my old man ever swearing when I was a kid and that's rubbed off on me and all of my kids, and theirs too so far as I can see and hear.
Bugger and crap is about the extent of it for me and that's how I wanted it.

Sure this debate was held a few seasons back- there is a level of hypocrisy regarding the language. The fact the song is misogynistic is more problematic.

For those old enough there is an element of nostalgia but i reckon most of us would accept the loss of this classic as a price for more inclusive football.

This type of debate shows how culture moves on. Sure in 20 years there will be calls to ban all the negative chants, booing etc.

it's a little 1970s - (much like several of the posters on here)

lemmie guess, those saying we should be allowed to sing it, also voted for Brexit and are 50+ ?

In my unmatched greatness and wisdom, it should be frowned upon

lemmie guess, those saying we should be allowed to sing it, also voted for Brexit and are 50+ ?

How are the Ace of Spades chap?

Voted out, way over 50 and I don't like swearing in mixed company or when children are present. As a 60s Trent ender I was a disgrace. Its an age thing.

I voted remain but then again I am under 50.

I am generally against banning stuff beliving it will die out on its own. The pressure to not sing this chant is coming from the newer generations. Banning people in this instance seems a bit overkill to me. Although offensive to some, the chant was never aimed at women and imo was intended as a celebration and show of appriciation for nottingham albeit inappropriate by todays standards.

I appreciate i have the benefit of having lived through the times and younger generations might struggle to appreciate there was ever a time when such a chant was not thought of as inappropriate.

Pretty sure all the parents will get this.