Club/player Activity Elsewhere | Page 2 | Vital Football

Club/player Activity Elsewhere

"Pep is one of the best" they say... I would love to see him win something without the finances he enjoys wherever he goes. I will always see him as a bit of a fraud for that reason.
To be fair he has said the same himself...without the best players he can’t produce winning teams.

I have nothing against the guy, but as for the owners of the club, just like Chelsea, they haven’t built anything, just bought it.

Just had a look at some of the other clubs business. Brighton have signed Veltman and Lallana. Totally under the radar.

Looks like City have signed a couple of gems. Torres looks very exciting. Sane replacement. Moreno looks like a long term Silva replacement.

And we have done what exactly?

To be fair he has said the same himself...without the best players he can’t produce winning teams.

I have nothing against the guy, but as for the owners of the club, just like Chelsea, they haven’t built anything, just bought it.

To be fair...it is a business...and the game has changed. Money drives the game now. I mean City cheated their asses off and everyone knew it and still got off on a virtual free....that is just another indicator of how things are done in the game now.

We either need to start 'buying' our way back into this thing...or settle for middle-table or lower status.

To be fair...it is a business...and the game has changed. Money drives the game now. I mean City cheated their asses off and everyone knew it and still got off on a virtual free....that is just another indicator of how things are done in the game now.

We either need to start 'buying' our way back into this thing...or settle for middle-table or lower status.

Its not ALL about spending money. Going about things in a smart way can be just as effective. To think that the Poch era saw relatively little money spent yet so nearly achieved so much shows that the way things were being done was working. A well timed investment into the first team could have been the difference between being the winners rather than runner-ups. We didn't though and it cost us. Levy did the same with Harry and it cost us then too.

Spending mega money is a big boost to a cause but it is no guarantee of success.

Its not ALL about spending money. Going about things in a smart way can be just as effective. To think that the Poch era saw relatively little money spent yet so nearly achieved so much shows that the way things were being done was working. A well timed investment into the first team could have been the difference between being the winners rather than runner-ups. We didn't though and it cost us. Levy did the same with Harry and it cost us then too.

Spending mega money is a big boost to a cause but it is no guarantee of success.

Absolutely right...I am not talking about splashing the cash for no reason...but I do think in order to realistically compete CONSISTENTLY in today's game we need to start spending. Yes we can always punch above our weight which I honestly think we have been doing for years now...and yeah there is always a fluke like Leicester in the season they won it all...but it is not sustainable.

BL - if we want to start winning hardware and competing for championships, we need to start spending more...and spending like you say smartly! If we want nothing more than to be in the EPL or every once in a while compete for something...then yeah just keep doing what we are doing I guess.

The problem at the moment is that we're not competing for a Timo Werner or a Jude Bellingham. It is a complete transfer strategy upgrade that we really need to go through as a club.

I think we need to do what it takes to get our squad balanced for the coming season. After that, I'd happily be the Dortmund of the English game. A club that youngsters trusts to manage their careers and not be blocked to the first team squad places by mediocrity. A hope that the next set of players like Robertson, Gomes, Aarons, Godfrey, Ndidi etc might be wearing our colours. A hope that we wouldn't be buying 25 year olds for £25m and kidding ourselves that they will automagically become world beaters. It really is the definition of insanity.

I cant envisage any other way but spend on potential and grow our own at the moment. When we have splashed the cash in the past it's mostly been up the wall anyway, Ndombele being the most recent example along with Sessegnon.

Agree with some of that. However Poch inherited a squad which already had Hugo, Walker, Jan, Rose, Dembele, Eriksen and Kane. The foundations were already in place, all he had to do was find a few players to compliment them. Which he did to start with to be fair.

Buying smart should always be the clubs vision. But if the chance arises to buy a worldie like Bruno Fernandes you don't penny pinch, you do everything in your power to make it happen. Players like that will make you 100's of millions in the long run.

We normally go for the cheaper option.

The problem at the moment is that we're not competing for a Timo Werner or a Jude Bellingham. It is a complete transfer strategy upgrade that we really need to go through as a club.

I think we need to do what it takes to get our squad balanced for the coming season. After that, I'd happily be the Dortmund of the English game. A club that youngsters trusts to manage their careers and not be blocked to the first team squad places by mediocrity. A hope that the next set of players like Robertson, Gomes, Aarons, Godfrey, Ndidi etc might be wearing our colours. A hope that we wouldn't be buying 25 year olds for £25m and kidding ourselves that they will automagically become world beaters. It really is the definition of insanity.

Back in the mid 00's Mutters our strategy was to buy young home grown players. We looked like we would go back down that route when Poch arrived with signing Dier, Davies, Trippier, Dele but it went off the boil again.

Back in the mid 00's Mutters our strategy was to buy young home grown players. We looked like we would go back down that route when Poch arrived with signing Dier, Davies, Trippier, Dele but it went off the boil again.
It's proving to be too expensive hence the reason we're trying to develop & nurture our own.

It's proving to be too expensive hence the reason we're trying to develop & nurture our own.

I think it depends. Guys like Troy Parrott, Alfie Devine and Kion Etete have joined recently for little. If they were to join Cirkin, Skipp, Tanganga or White in the first team, I'm sure we'd be calling them all "one of our own". Part of it is just getting better at the dog eat dog world of nicking the 16/17 year olds. Get the pipeline building better.

I do agree about the slightly older guys though. They can be over-priced.

My point above is to become a club that these boys want to join by showing they will get a chance. That is what Dortmund do so well.

I think it depends. Guys like Troy Parrott, Alfie Devine and Kion Etete have joined recently for little. If they were to join Cirkin, Skipp, Tanganga or White in the first team, I'm sure we'd be calling them all "one of our own". Part of it is just getting better at the dog eat dog world of nicking the 16/17 year olds. Get the pipeline building better.

I do agree about the slightly older guys though. They can be over-priced.

My point above is to become a club that these boys want to join by showing they will get a chance. That is what Dortmund do so well.
Take Jack Clarke for example. Not even 18 & he cost the guts of 10 Mill. We need to change tack & start developing & nurturing them young otherwise we're going to be spending ridiculous sums of money in the future on kids.

Not to say that these moves will actually happen, but potential signings in transfer 'gossip columns' at the moment include;
David Brooks to Liverpool
Willian to Arsenal
Josh King to PSG!
Ben Chilwell to Chelsea
All players who have been linked with us sometime in the past, all players who at the very least will strengthen our squad, and in some cases improve our starting line-up. The only one we still get some sort of mention with is Brooks, probably the potentially best signing of all, but if Liverpool are in for him we've got no chance.
Sadly, a little over a year after being in the CL final, we are back in the signing of young players with potential frame.
Whether Jose can operate in this space remains to be seen.

Take Jack Clarke for example. Not even 18 & he cost the guts of 10 Mill. We need to change tack & start developing & nurturing them young otherwise we're going to be spending ridiculous sums of money in the future on kids.

The problem with Clarke is that we bought a 17 year old and everyone expected him to be an immediate superstar. In other words, the only visible problem is the fans. Ultimately, it could still be the best £10m we've spent but nobody knows. Let's give him time.

Not to say that these moves will actually happen, but potential signings in transfer 'gossip columns' at the moment include;
David Brooks to Liverpool
Willian to Arsenal
Josh King to PSG!
Ben Chilwell to Chelsea
All players who have been linked with us sometime in the past, all players who at the very least will strengthen our squad, and in some cases improve our starting line-up. The only one we still get some sort of mention with is Brooks, probably the potentially best signing of all, but if Liverpool are in for him we've got no chance.
Sadly, a little over a year after being in the CL final, we are back in the signing of young players with potential frame.
Whether Jose can operate in this space remains to be seen.

So in 2018, Bournemouth paid £11m for Brooks who was 21 at the time. We all know what we did that summer......sweet FA. The bit I don't think people get is that to get the best youngsters you have to over pay. He should have been on our radar when he left Sheff Utd and, as a much bigger club, our offer should have been £15-17m with better wages. In a summer when we spent nothing, we could have knocked Eddie Howe out of the running. That is what big clubs do. I remember screaming that if we couldn't find players for the first team then go and buy a couple of young homegrown to freshen up the squad.

We are the 10th biggest club in Europe and as I keep saying our transfer strategy is a joke. We end up competing with clubs half our size and get "out-sold" by their vision to the players over ours. To me, that comes down to our chairman setting things up with a small club mentality. We need to remove the 27 year old dross that drag us down and create space for these kids to get involved. Even Lampard gets that as guys like Willian, Pedro etc have had their playing time reduced and shown the door.