O/T Trump | Page 12 | Vital Football

O/T Trump

Christie Blatchford: In a Bizarro World kind of way, I think I actually wanted Donald Trump to win

Christie Blatchford | November 9, 2016 4:54 PM ET

A Donald Trump supporter holds a sign aloft at an election night rally at the New York Hilton on Nov. 8, 2016.

Spencer Platt/Getty ImagesA Donald Trump supporter holds a sign aloft at an election night rally at the New York Hilton on Nov. 8, 2016.

Twitter Google+ Reddit Email Typo? More
In the words of the great American singer-songwriter Tracy Chapman in New Beginning, “The whole world’s broke and it ain’t worth fixing, It’s time to start all over …”

Is that what the election was all about then, blowing up the works to see what might emerge from the ashes?

It has that vaguely apocalyptic feel, familiar enough in the land of the late Rob Ford, another man who defied his own personality and the odds to become that oxymoron, the wealthy one-percenter populist.

Blowing up a broken system seems to me a better explanation than some of the others being offered up on Tuesday night.

Timothy A. Clary/AFP/Getty Images
Timothy A. Clary/AFP/Getty Images President-elect
Donald Trump shakes hands with his vice-president, Mike Pence, while flanked by family members election night at the New York Hilton Nov. 9, 2016.

It quickly became clear that against all the best advice from the best people (from Bruce Springsteen on down), contrary to almost all the pollsters and pundits and despite his nakedly flawed own self, Donald Trump had somehow done it.

Certainly, there are uncomfortable elements to his shocking win — what my favourite CNN pundit, Van Jones, Tuesday night called a “whitelash” and the appeal to those who would turn the clock back to a time when white people and black better knew their places.

But Trump didn’t create the divided America. As befits a self-promoting entrepreneur, he simply took advantage of it.

I would like to report that I am as horrified by the spectre of Trump-as-president-elect as I was by the spectacle of Trump-the-candidate, but it wouldn’t be true. I have too much natural affinity for the underdog for that, and maybe too much regard for the will of the people.

Or perhaps I’ve covered too many criminal trials, where you learn pretty quickly that the system isn’t good only when it goes the way you think it should.

There’s something fundamentally useful about the process of 12 people thinking things through in their jury room and coming to a decision. I may not always agree with the verdict, but I sure as hell appreciate the process, and I’ve far more faith in the jurors than I do in the administrators — by which I mean the judge and lawyers.

Jack Dempsey/AP
Jack Dempsey/APSupporters cheer while watching president-elect Donald Trump's acceptance speech on television at an election night party Nov. 8, 2016, in Greenwood Village, Colo.

I was plenty repelled, God knows

I was plenty repelled by candidate Trump, God knows.

But I am mostly immune to the celebrity culture in which we all live, don’t watch the sort of TV show that made him a household name, am never drawn to those who are famous, let alone famous for simply being famous.

That was a big part of what Trump had going for him — the shallow celebrity that in most other ages might have been ridiculed.

The other big part was his record as a businessman, and though what I know about the world of business could fit on the head of a pin, I know enough to know his is at least a spotty and controversial record. The Trump “brand” is too over-the-top, nouveau riche Richie Rich for my taste.

Lee Jin-man/AP
Lee Jin-man/APA woman walks by posters of Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump at an election watch event hosted by the U.S. Embassy in Seoul, South Korea, Nov. 9, 2016.

But he understood not just reality television but also social media, and the appeal of broad-strokes media, like Twitter, better than anyone else. As Van Jones said, where Franklin Roosevelt mastered radio with his fireside chats and Ronald Reagan TV, Trump mastered social media, where to be the villain, or the buffoon, is not a bad thing, so long as you have the most followers.

I loathed much of what Trump said during the long campaign and virtually all his alleged ideas. He struck me from the get-go as a garish cartoon figure.

His comments about women in the notorious 2004 Billy Bush video, wherein he said when you’re “a star” like him, you can do anything, everything, to women, including “Grab them by the p—y”, were, as Trump once put it about himself in another context, “braggadocious” and even pathetic.

Etc., etc.

Related
Edit post John Ivison: Inexplicable Trump victory caught Trudeau Liberals off guard, but Canadians must accept it

Yankee stay home? Clinton-loving Canadians in no mood to help Trump-averse Americans move here
Kelly McParland: Donald Trump victory launches second American revolution
So I went into election night believing I was indeed with her, as an early slogan of Hillary Clinton’s had it.

I never loved her.

And her easy dismissal, way back in September, of half of Trump’s supporters as falling into what she called “the basket of deplorables” — people who are racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic and Islamaphobic — was at least as disgraceful as Trump’s careless appeals to those instincts in his base.

Clinton tried to walk the line back, but her disdain for suffering Americans was palpable at that moment, and how they must have felt it.

Yet I imagined I thought she was still the better candidate. And I was steeped in the dogma that he had “a narrow path” to electoral victory, while she did not.

Alex Wong/Getty Images
Alex Wong/Getty ImagesA group of Trump supporters celebrate in front of the White House after midnight on Nov. 9, 2016.

To my surprise and with some horror, I found myself instead pulling for a Trump win, if not for him precisely, then for all those who feel left out of their own government and country and the global economy — all those in the decimated Rust Belt and in the sad hollowed-out cities, those with the crummy jobs, those who are still afraid to see a doctor because of the cost, those whose dreams have been diminished and who have lost so much.

It’s a bizarre time, or as an episode of the old Seinfeld show put it in one episode, a Bizarro World, where everything you thought you knew is turned on its ear.

Early this morning, for instance, there was one presidential candidate, making a conciliatory and pretty gracious victory speech. That was Trump. And there was the other, unable to summon the grace and the courage to make a concession speech. That was Hillary Clinton.

Maybe the people didn’t get it so wrong.

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/christie-blatchford-in-a-bizarro-world-kind-of-way-i-think-i-actually-wanted-trump-to-win

Voting stats from 2012:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/139880/election-polls-presidential-vote-groups.aspx

Voting stats from 2008:

http://ropercenter.cornell.edu/polls/us-elections/how-groups-voted/how-groups-voted-2008/

There are possibly some positives. It is thought Trump will dump TTIP and put the UK at the front of the queue as opposed to Obamas threatened back.

Trump is looking to rebuild industry and manufacturing which is good for us as we have expertise and services to offer. Also high quality engineering is one of our fortes.

Our weapons manufacturing could get a boost. I believe BAE has already received a boost in values.

Trump likes the UK and could favour us in trade deals etc.

Search for the positives and it's not so bad.

What are the negatives ?

by the time Brexitland is out of EU, and able to trade on new terms, it could well be time for the next Presidential election.... by which time Rump shudda exposed himself for the fraud/conman he is...

just watch his Wall Street cronies cream off all the top jobs, especially related to trade and finance..... they'll be a few more shell companies being created in Panama, as we speak..

Sir Dick Caan - 10/11/2016 20:15

by the time Brexitland is out of EU, and able to trade on new terms, it could well be time for the next Presidential election.... by which time Rump shudda exposed himself for the fraud/conman he is...

just watch his Wall Street cronies cream off all the top jobs, especially related to trade and finance..... they'll be a few more shell companies being created in Panama, as we speak..

He doesn't have a whole lot of friends on Wall Street. WS backed Clinton.

His potential appointments are all skilled politicians. If he goes ahead with the best of them he will surprise everyone by moving intelligently.

I admire your optimism 80, but I just can not agree that a person who has selected a VP who is so anti science as an intelligent move. Perhaps anti science is unfair, maybe completely ignorant of science is more apt. Either way, I can't see that as a move of a man who wishes to intelligently tackle one of the biggest issues we face as a species.

meee93 - 10/11/2016 22:40

I admire your optimism 80, but I just can not agree that a person who has selected a VP who is so anti science as an intelligent move. Perhaps anti science is unfair, maybe completely ignorant of science is more apt. Either way, I can't see that as a move of a man who wishes to intelligently tackle one of the biggest issues we face as a species.

More hope than optimism meee. Let's also hope nothing happens to Trump so that individual stays in the wings.

Rump doesnt have a whole lot of friends on Wall street LOOOOL... again you show half the knowledge of a situation only which makes you more dangerous than the no-nothing hillbillies that voted for him..

the guy lives and breathes Wall Street, but I'm talking about the players and not the functionaries.... his best mates are raiders like Carl Icahn who even as they partied after the result on Tuesday night, and after speaking intimately with the Prez-Elect, popped outside to place a billion dollar bet on the futures markets then trading on the Asian time-zones... his buddies also include the notorious hedge-funder Steve Mnuchin, who is touted for 1 of the big finance-posts... just take a gander at this below :-

//www.thenation.com/article/the-worst-of-wall-street-meet-donald-trumps-finance-chairman/

seems like you too fell for all that Rump rhetoric, playing to gallery of how he dislikes the Wall Street movers 'n shakers...

the next phase will be targeting Dodd-Frank and repealing alot of the post-crisis financial regulation.... so much for hating Wall Street.

Sir Dick Caan - 11/11/2016 12:43

Rump doesnt have a whole lot of friends on Wall street LOOOOL... again you show half the knowledge of a situation only which makes you more dangerous than the no-nothing hillbillies that voted for him..

the guy lives and breathes Wall Street, but I'm talking about the players and not the functionaries.... his best mates are raiders like Carl Icahn who even as they partied after the result on Tuesday night, and after speaking intimately with the Prez-Elect, popped outside to place a billion dollar bet on the futures markets then trading on the Asian time-zones... his buddies also include the notorious hedge-funder Steve Mnuchin, who is touted for 1 of the big finance-posts... just take a gander at this below :-

//www.thenation.com/article/the-worst-of-wall-street-meet-donald-trumps-finance-chairman/

seems like you too fell for all that Rump rhetoric, playing to gallery of how he dislikes the Wall Street movers 'n shakers...

the next phase will be targeting Dodd-Frank and repealing alot of the post-crisis financial regulation.... so much for hating Wall Street.

Hmmm. Once again your knowledge is superficial. Sad.

Just another misconception of what is really going on on your part. The objective analysis now being done by the more sensible part of the media is painting a different picture than the one you would have us believe.

BTW did you go back and compare the voting analytics from the last 5 elections? You should do it your self because you won't believe anyone else's opinion that doesn't match the outcome you want. Just like the media during Brexit and this election you think if you want and believe it it must be true because you are never wrong. Y'all need to get your head out of the sand Dorothy.

the voting patterns of previous elections too reflect voting-patterns along largely ethic-lines.... its just become evermore polarised with time.

whats is becoming clearer is that there is a growing divide between the mtroplitan areas and the rural, also a dividde along the West-Coast and Eastern seaboard vs. the South, Rust and Bible Belts..

I expect that as more Rump excesses take hold, and believe me there will be quite a few, including corruption and huge insider-dealing on the macro-level: as he discusses states of ongoing bilateral-trade deals with his kitchen-cabinet of Wall Street cronies, various brinkmanship gambits that are timed perfectly to coincide with trades made by said-group, etc etc... even as these things come to being, there will be a new USA being shaped, mainly along the West-Coast, that will be a real alternative to the rotten dysfunctional status-quo as exists now..

the fun's only just starting

Sir Dick Caan - 11/11/2016 13:35

the voting patterns of previous elections too reflect voting-patterns along largely ethic-lines.... its just become evermore polarised with time.

whats is becoming clearer is that there is a growing divide between the mtroplitan areas and the rural, also a dividde along the West-Coast and Eastern seaboard vs. the South, Rust and Bible Belts..

I expect that as more Rump excesses take hold, and believe me there will be quite a few, including corruption and huge insider-dealing on the macro-level: as he discusses states of ongoing bilateral-trade deals with his kitchen-cabinet of Wall Street cronies, various brinkmanship gambits that are timed perfectly to coincide with trades made by said-group, etc etc... even as these things come to being, there will be a new USA being shaped, mainly along the West-Coast, that will be a real alternative to the rotten dysfunctional status-quo as exists now..

the fun's only just starting

The fun, as you put it, has been going on for years. That's how Trump was elected. JHC you're out of touch.

Rump was elected cos the entire USA 'democracy' is so imperfect, and thats even before factoring in how a know-nothing, no experienced in politics bizznizzman with a publicised penchant for groping/kissing women could even be allowed to run for the Presidency.

I expect his cronies will make 10s of billions trading on inside-info, as he tips the nod or wink each time just before he moves markets by his brinkmanship, bullying and general naughty behaviour which always seems to subside, just before his cronies cash out their positions.. no doubt he'll take a nice slice of that too via offshore shell-corporations and bank-accounts.

make that hundreds of billions possibly, over 4yrs..... I forgot the backhanders from all those bilateral 'deals' on surprisingly favourable terms for some..

Surely if there is any link to Trump and profiteering from his associates etc there will be inquiries and incriminations. Possible impeachment.

Nick Real Deal - 11/11/2016 19:40

Surely if there is any link to Trump and profiteering from his associates etc there will be inquiries and incriminations. Possible impeachment.

offshore accounts, dummy-corporations, nominated-directors hiding beneficial owners, trades made outside USA's jurisdiction, etc. etc...

I can see why he's such a big fan of Putin even more now...