O/T Flying | Vital Football

O/T Flying

D

Departed

Sent chills down my spine...

Last edited by a moderator:
not available in the UK. Judging from the title it might be a similar video to this which does work here:

Ahhh the Mozzie. So good to see one flying again and a travesty the UK has not kept one flying as a tribute to the pilots and crews which achieved such feats.

A long time favourite of mine , I have sold furniture made by the same factories who made the Mozzie parts. Lebus and Samuel Elliot both made airframes and parts, even their own gliders. I have a Samuel Elliot armchair is solid oak right now. It's quality is superb, the workmanship top notch. I also have a Lebus chest of drawers. None of us will own a Mozzie but we can own part of its history.

Interesting you have to go way back to trace the beginnings of the Mozzie. As early as 1931 a Supermarine S6B flew at 407 mph, a world record at the time using a Rolls Royce 2,300 hp supercharged single engine. The S6B was a sea plane with massive floats, developed from earlier S6 and S6A from 1929, solely to win the Schneider Trophy, a speed race over 2 legs to achieve an average. The S6s won 3 years in a row and kept the trophy. Rolls Royce developed the engine purely to compete in a short burst. It had a life of 1 hour and used special fuels and lots of it. The seaplane floats were fuel tanks. These guys were nuts !!! The experience gained by Rolls Royce helped in the development of the Merlin engine from 1935 ish initially.

Prior to this another speed race The McRobertson Trophy was formulated in 1933. Dehavilland developed a long distance speed racer...the DH88 Comet. Take a look at a photo and ask ...what does it remind you of. Twin engined, lightweight wood construction, sleek and beautiful lines. The DH 88 was the forerunner of the Mozzie and lessons learned were used from the DH88. It had less powerful engines for reliability and fuel consumption , it had to fly to Australia and back. Amy Johnson and her husband took part in the race in a DH88 of which 3 were built for the race. They suffered engine problems and pulled out. The winners went on to achieve fame but sadly died soon after. One was involved in an accident, the other commited suicide due to stress during the war I think. After the race the planes were used briefly by the RAF and as postal delivery aircraft. The record set in 1933/4 stood for decades and may still stand today.

So we have Rolls Royce and De havilland to thank for the Mozzie which was no accident, both makers had developed their designs culminating in a beast of a machine.