O/T Covid-19 - Discussion for the duration of this crisis. | Page 102 | Vital Football

O/T Covid-19 - Discussion for the duration of this crisis.

Australia have done well, no question, but comparisons with the UK are maybe unfair. The density of population in a relatively small island must ultimately influence the numbers.

You need to look at Hong Kong and Taiwan, which are tiny nations right on China's door step. They had hundreds of thousands of people transiting into their nations each day, and due to their proximity to China, were exposed long before many of us, including the UK.

How did they achieve their brilliant numbers? They stopped the international flights, whilst keeping the economy breathing. The UK did neither. THAT is your problem. A double blow if you like. You've failed to stop the flights when absolutely necessary and also killed the economy.

HOWEVER, did Australia and NZ get a wee bit lucky?

At the initial stages of the virus, both Australia and NZ were in their summer, whilst Italy, UK and the entire northern hemisphere etc were in winter. We are now coming into winter and have only a 795 active cases of which 80% are mild and only a handful in ICU.

So, more to do with our early actions rather than the fact were are a big island with only 25 mill.

If the UK had closed their borders early, you could've saved many lives and billions of pounds.

Australia are now talking about traversing over the bridge, but we have no idea what's on the other side.

Definitely NOT a different perspective. Different to garbage recycled by the media, but this is exactly what I was discussing back on mid March with by colleague. Our argument has been made solid by the recent facts coming in regarding average death ages. In Australasia it is 80 years old.

It may sound crass, however there are departments that actually put a cost on each life. This is done globally to ascertain how much money they invest in certain campaigns.

For example- National Road Toll. X amount of deaths per year V's X amount of dollars/pounds invested in a campaign to prevent. Also the cost of ambulances, medics, police etc etc. They arrive at a price per death. These departments actually have a milestone or an acceptable figure to allocate per death versus the cost to prevent it.

COVID-19 has massively exceeded that figure. Australia alone I believe is over $90 million per death, with the cost growing each day the economy continues to suffer.

this is interesting, a 3-minute collection of snippets from a 2003 episode of the US/Canadian TV series 'The Dead Zone', called Plague. The main character became psychic after a coma and figures out the cure to the virus psychically, rather than waiting for the CDC to get there.

UK rap artist Ty has passed from covid-19 at 47.

Met him a few times in mid noughties at the peak of his "fame". Nice bloke. His album Upwards was one of my faves at the time, much more musical than a lot of the more monotonous things released in that era.

Well from the preliminary information nothing changes for me unless I want to be bored to tears exercising outdoors even more than I do at the moment....no sport options available for those of us living alone.

Calls for more clarity being met with the promise of a 50 page document to follow later today.....it just shows the lunacy if trying to contain what for most appears to be a relatively harmless virus by making rules that are impractical except in theory.

The government are worried about a second spike in infections.....well new infections have been bowling along between 4-8000 a day recently under lockdown now that testing has been increased and that’s just hospital cases, NHS staff and other frontline workers....the figure could be much higher and that is a good thing from the point of view of reaching a level of herd immunity which is the only way to exert some control over this virus.

Many experts agree that a second wave after a lockdown is inevitable because the virus is obviously still active and now large numbers of uninfected people with no immunity will be exposed to the virus in settings where safe distancing is little more than a theory, just as it has been in most supermarkets. This is not a bad thing as it will build up overall immunity as long as the panic mongers don’t clamp down again.

The stat that the government doesn’t seem to want to find out is an accurate prediction of how much of the population has already had and survived the virus which would allow the level of herd immunity to be sssessed as well as a more accurate IFR, but that’s proper science and they don’t seem interested in that.

I’m fed up with this farce.

So if you can't work from home Boris says go to work..........choice stay at home alive and lose yer job or go to work risk infection but get the dosh.......naive message to say the least..see the crowded underground this morning FFS Twin Peaks here we come......a ploy to get that Nightingale Hospital in London full up ..lots of jobs for nurses and doctctors eh! Easing lockdown is one thing, that message is something else!

Well from the preliminary information nothing changes for me unless I want to be bored to tears exercising outdoors even more than I do at the moment....no sport options available for those of us living alone.

Calls for more clarity being met with the promise of a 50 page document to follow later today.....it just shows the lunacy if trying to contain what for most appears to be a relatively harmless virus by making rules that are impractical except in theory.

The government are worried about a second spike in infections.....well new infections have been bowling along between 4-8000 a day recently under lockdown now that testing has been increased and that’s just hospital cases, NHS staff and other frontline workers....the figure could be much higher and that is a good thing from the point of view of reaching a level of herd immunity which is the only way to exert some control over this virus.

Many experts agree that a second wave after a lockdown is inevitable because the virus is obviously still active and now large numbers of uninfected people with no immunity will be exposed to the virus in settings where safe distancing is little more than a theory, just as it has been in most supermarkets. This is not a bad thing as it will build up overall immunity as long as the panic mongers don’t clamp down again.

The stat that the government doesn’t seem to want to find out is an accurate prediction of how much of the population has already had and survived the virus which would allow the level of herd immunity to be sssessed as well as a more accurate IFR, but that’s proper science and they don’t seem interested in that.

I’m fed up with this farce.

Harry, this is a top article, well worth a read, it is taken from a podcast which the article gives a link to.
Me and the Mrs listened to the whole podcast yesterday afternoon.

Chin up mate, you sound as pissed off as my son did last night, but as I said to him, we are hearing far more dissenting voices now.
A month ago it was hard to find any alternative view to this hysterical madness, it's easier and easier now, the more people who raise against this the better.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/05/11/there-is-nothing-unprecedented-about-the-virus-itself/

Harry, this is a top article, well worth a read, it is taken from a podcast which the article gives a link to.

Chin up mate, you sound as pissed off as my son did last night, but as I said to him, we are hearing far more dissenting voices now.
A month ago it was hard to find any alternative view to this hysterical madness, it's easier and easier now, the more people who raise against this the better.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/05/11/there-is-nothing-unprecedented-about-the-virus-itself/

I stopped reading after she said all the lockdown is doing is stretching the time out. That's exactly the purpose so that a vaccine can be introduced without the virus killing crazy numbers of people.
I dont agree with what Boris did yesterday, it's too early to relax and confuse the population.

I stopped reading after she said all the lockdown is doing is stretching the time out. That's exactly the purpose so that a vaccine can be introduced without the virus killing crazy numbers of people.
I dont agree with what Boris did yesterday, it's too early to relax and confuse the population.
Nick, have a read of this guy, he's a recently retired professor of pathology and a former NHS consultant pathologist. He gives his 10 reasons to end the lockdown, and this might be the kind of advice Boris is getting (and might have been getting the last 3-4 weeks) from various sources. Are we really experiencing a "virus killing crazy numbers of people"? What else are we experiencing, and what else will society likely experience if everyone stays indoors for the next 12 months and the stuff of life is not produced?

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/ten-reasons-to-end-the-lockdown-now

Last edited:
Yes Harry, i've noticed that for the UK and wonder why. Stanford in California got onto this at the end of March and demonstrated that immunity was 45 to 80 times higher than the daily 'killer stats' reveal. Then again, their research sunk without trace where the most vocal authorities were concerned (Fauci et al) and the WHO instantly released undermining suppositions and guesswork through the media, stating that there is no guarantee that having had C19, your antibodies would resist further infection. Though they did not offer up a list of viruses from the past where antibodies were not resistant. Maybe there haven't been any? Suggesting they are more interested in controlling the narrative that keeps people in fear rather than moving forwards with science and data. Finland and Italy supplied similar data to Stanford, then LA after Silicon Valley, then NY. But there doesn't even seem to be the intention to do this in the UK. Such data might offer up-to-date thinking for millions. It's interesting that (as of yet) the discussion isn't even in the media.

Excellent article Chiv, thanks. These issues can't be dismissed or imagined away by compulsive fearful reaction. They needs critical thought, open debate in public, and some killer data that shows the situation better - not invented, approximated, unlikely numbers.

Great find Paddy and she is only saying what a few of us on here have been saying for several weeks....the effect of MSM and Government propaganda over facts is obvious on here as well, but each to their own.

The only hope I see in the short term is many say the lockdown happened too late but as the figures in New York and Germany show it meant that the peak infection rate had been achieved before the lockdown....if that is the case here then there could be a substantial amount of herd immunity already which will help greatly...we will see...

I am not into conspiracy theories usually but in this case

Sorry, pressed the wrong button....continuing from above, first thanks to Chiv...mixed you up with Paddy on this one...as I said, I’m not usually into conspiracy theories but there must be a significant amount of behind the scenes manipulation going on to make the so called best scientific brains in the world collectively lose their marbles and ability to rationally assess this virus.

Anyway, it has reached the level of a Whitehall Farce for me...it only needs Neil Ferguson to drop his trousers....oh too late he already did.

By the time the vaccine is available more people will have died as a result of lockdown than without it and it will only be af interest to the few people who still have a job.