O/T Covid-19 - Discussion for the duration of this crisis. | Page 98 | Vital Football

O/T Covid-19 - Discussion for the duration of this crisis.

As we have been under a partial lockdown for 6 or so weeks , I would like to know where these 4000 a day are getting infected !! Where have they been ?

I have been speaking to some of my old mates at the University of Oxford. They seem to think the virus can stay in your system for over 100 days.

I have read case studies on other viral viruses before and some can stay in your system for years so it wouldn't surprise me.

I think Simon Davies back in the 00's had a virus in his system for years. Can't remember what it was though. But it sidelined him for a long time.

As we have been under a partial lockdown for 6 or so weeks , I would like to know where these 4000 a day are getting infected !! Where have they been ?
I’ve been ignoring this thread lately , but just caught up with a bit of it .
This question Nick , is exactly what is going through my stupid brain. .
If people are following guidelines, not going out unless you really have to , then being sensible when you do go out , how do so many become infected .

One theory is that these new cases are imported as we have no quarantine rules on new arrivals. This could be the problem, we are not really in lockdown either internationally or internally.

The fact we still haven't put safety procedures in place at airports sums how thick this country is. It's the first place you start. Stop letting the virus in the country then deal with the virus internally.

Whoever has the final say on this should be sentenced to life in prison.

If people are following guidelines, not going out unless you really have to , then being sensible when you do go out , how do so many become infected .

Many are not listening to the rules mate. Every walk I go on I see people breaking the rules. Large groups, people not moving out of the way. I have seen plenty of adults playing football.

My neighbors daughter comes home from her boyfriends every few days when she is bored. The mum even lets her boyfriend in the house ffs. How dumb do you need to be?

I think the runners are an issue though. They are breathing hard, sweating and spitting everywhere. They don't move out of the way either.

All that fuss about the plane flying to Turkey to collect PPE medical gowns and they turn out to be dud. We cant use them as they fall below British Standards. Surely someone must have inspected them before the purchase was agreed ? Turkey can go and do one along with China.

The fact we still haven't put safety procedures in place at airports sums how thick this country is. It's the first place you start. Stop letting the virus in the country then deal with the virus internally.

Whoever has the final say on this should be sentenced to life in prison.

Matt Hancock ? He actually said we had to keep our borders open for trade purposes when challenged with this issue. He is Health Secretary so would impose the restrictions unless you go one rung more up the ladder to Boris.

Trying to be analytical which is not easy as I'm not qualified but hospitals, care homes, retail stores, workplaces still operating like factories etc are all indoor environments. Apparently outdoors is not such a threat. Large households with various members going out to work maybe ?

I guess the important question is how many of the increased number result in hospital admissions and what percentage of those die....I can’t find any stats on hospital admissions, but the new infection figures result from the testing of essential workers and people in hospital and care homes...this testing has been increased recently to include a wider scope of people..

if the ratio of increased infection rates to hospital admissions is low and even lower for deaths then it is a good indicator that the IFR rate of this virus is no greater than other Covid based epidemics as indicated by several studies based upon real, random sampling.....the problem with the government stats so far is that they do not represent a random sample and so serve only to increase the panic level currently in play.

I read this morning that the UK government is being criticised around the world for not locking down soon enough....really? How did that work out for Spain and Italy? If anything they should be criticised for locking down at all rather than adopting sensible social distancing policies like Sweden...just look at the mess we are in now and all the BS we are being asked to accept in order to try to control a virus that will keep on giving until herd immunity is reached either naturally or with a vaccine....the issue with the vaccine is that by the time it will be available, even if it works, the economy will have flatlined.

The government understands this so now we will put in place processes and procedures to allow workers to work again “safely” which we could have done from the start...people will still catch the virus and some will die whether directly or indirectly from it but herd immunity will grow but we have lost 2 months fluffing around and people are still dying beyond the lockdown predictions.

Great post Paddy . I’m definitely in the last paragraph ! That’s exactly where my intelligence lies , think it’s called life , and the living of it !
How is your time in London going ?[/QUOTE
yes agree Walt, that's why i sometimes like to listen to the wisdom of black cab drivers ranting on! there can be some kind of insight or perspective everywhere. am doing ok thanks. the only human contact in 12 days has been tipping a Deliveroo driver but am getting my work done indoors and keeping to a schedule. funny life, no people, no restaurants, no footie, just walks by the river. hope you're still getting out to your allotment.

Matt Hancock ? He actually said we had to keep our borders open for trade purposes when challenged with this issue. He is Health Secretary so would impose the restrictions unless you go one rung more up the ladder to Boris.

There have been none important flights though. My wives mates husband has flown to America twice since this broke and he is only a sales guy. Hardly essential work hey?

The trade purposes that include food, medical care are a different animal.

They clearly need higher quality checks though.

There have been none important flights though. My wives mates husband has flown to America twice since this broke and he is only a sales guy. Hardly essential work hey?

The trade purposes that include food, medical care are a different animal.

They clearly need higher quality checks though.
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think the ban was for all but essential work. I think the ban still allowing those who couldn't work remotely to work. Which of course makes sense but leaves it open to people taking advantage.

I really wish there was some deep analysis done into trying to calculate how all the new cases during lock down got passed around. Surely that is the info that needs to be given to the public so we can know when we are at risk. I don't buy the story of blaming it so much on moving in/out of the country.

You wonder if there would be any incentives introduced to try and slow the speed at which people go back to normality. Such as maybe rewarding businesses that facilitate working remotely.

You've answered your question in one of your previous posts Walth. We are amongst the streetwise 'thick' intelligent group and only a more qualified person aka Prof Neil Ferguson could've answered it. But we've sacked him!

The title should be “epidemic” and not “pandemic”.
The percentage of the infected people is not that high to call it pandemic.
(See also text of the article).

It is interesting to read the various opinions about the corona epidemic (not pandemic)!
Most of these views are related to the various theories expressed daily in the media.

Some people, when reading these views and theories, ask some logical questions that cannot be answered on the basis of the expressed theories.

In that case, it seems that in order to find answers to reasonable questions, our thoughts should be guided to different directions than those expressed and followed in and by the media! .

The crisis will last as long as it is necessary for certain targets to be achieved, some people to make huge profits out of it, some other people, companies and countries to suffer a great economic disaster and setback, some mass reactions to be studied and the introduction of some new measures and procedures world-wide to be “justified”.
Not to mention those who we are going to die!