O/T Covid-19 - Discussion for the duration of this crisis. | Page 28 | Vital Football

O/T Covid-19 - Discussion for the duration of this crisis.

Curve of what? Death by ALL influenza types? I would guess that if you looked at it over a year you would see peaks and troughs based on seasons and weather patterns, but you wouldn't get that exponential shape that countries are seeing recently. I think I also read somewhere that each strain can be less or more infectious and that drastically changes the graphs each year.

Would love to know where to get the comparable data. I use the Worldometer - https://www.worldometers.info

https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...0324-sitrep-64-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=703b2c40_2

Curve of what? Death by ALL influenza types? I would guess that if you looked at it over a year you would see peaks and troughs based on seasons and weather patterns, but you wouldn't get that exponential shape that countries are seeing recently. I think I also read somewhere that each strain can be less or more infectious and that drastically changes the graphs each year.

Would love to know where to get the comparable data. I use the Worldometer - https://www.worldometers.info
I think my question relates to the basis of the curve....is it all deaths in the UK...is it just deaths from respiratory diseases eg: pneumonia, COPD, Asthma, influenza or is it just Covid-19 and how many of the Covid-19 recorded fatalities also had other respiratory diseases.....in other words, how much of that curve is actually due just to Covid-19?

I think my question relates to the basis of the curve....is it all deaths in the UK...is it just deaths from respiratory diseases eg: pneumonia, COPD, Asthma, influenza or is it just Covid-19 and how many of the Covid-19 recorded fatalities also had other respiratory diseases.....in other words, how much of that curve is actually due just to Covid-19?

So pneumonia is an infection, COVID-19/influenza is a virus, asthma/COPD is a disease. Do we even have data from the past identifying where deaths were caused by viruses, infections and diseases or combinations of? Have we ever had a system were you can put multiple causes of deaths in the "cause of death" categories? Did we do autopsies and identify underlying conditions where we weren't expecting that result from just a seasonal virus in the past?

I'm not sure we've ever had that level of sophistication in the way we've recorded deaths. If we did see any new data that was isolating the COVID-19 incremental piece, I'm not sure we could trust it anyway.

So pneumonia is an infection, COVID-19/influenza is a virus, asthma/COPD is a disease. Do we even have data from the past identifying where deaths were caused by viruses, infections and diseases or combinations of? Have we ever had a system were you can put multiple causes of deaths in the "cause of death" categories? Did we do autopsies and identify underlying conditions where we weren't expecting that result from just a seasonal virus in the past?

I'm not sure we've ever had that level of sophistication in the way we've recorded deaths. If we did see any new data that was isolating the COVID-19 incremental piece, I'm not sure we could trust it anyway.
But the converse is also true in that without that level of information we can’t trust the current Covid-19 stats.

Coronavirus antibody home testing kits will be available 'within days' from Amazon and Boots

Professor Sharon Peacock from Public Health England told MPs that 3.5million of the finger prick tests had been bought

By Gareth Davies, Breaking News Editor 25 March 2020 • 2:26pm
Premium

The public will be able to conduct coronavirus antibody tests at home within a matter of days with finger prick kits that will be available from Amazon and Boots, MPs have heard.
Professor Sharon Peacock, director of the National Infection Service, Public Health England (PHE) told the Science and Technology Committee that 3.5 million tests had been bought and would be available in the "near future".
She said the tests would also allow key workers - like doctors and nurses - to go back to work if they have developed antibodies.
Prof Peacock explained a small number of tests would be tested in a laboratory before being distributed via Amazon and in places like Boots.
Prof Peacock added: "Once we are assured that they do work, they will be rolled out into the community.
"Testing the test is a small matter, and I anticipate that it will be done by the end of this week.
"In the near future people will be able to order a test that they can test themselves, or go to Boots, or somewhere similar to have their finger prick test done."
Asked whether this meant it would be available in a number of days, rather than weeks or months, she said "absolutely".

But the converse is also true in that without that level of information we can’t trust the current Covid-19 stats.

Isn't the assumption that everybody in the stats has had a COVID-19 positive test though? I guess that counts for something statistically.

Coronavirus antibody home testing kits will be available 'within days' from Amazon and Boots

Professor Sharon Peacock from Public Health England told MPs that 3.5million of the finger prick tests had been bought

By Gareth Davies, Breaking News Editor 25 March 2020 • 2:26pm
Premium

The public will be able to conduct coronavirus antibody tests at home within a matter of days with finger prick kits that will be available from Amazon and Boots, MPs have heard.
Professor Sharon Peacock, director of the National Infection Service, Public Health England (PHE) told the Science and Technology Committee that 3.5 million tests had been bought and would be available in the "near future".
She said the tests would also allow key workers - like doctors and nurses - to go back to work if they have developed antibodies.
Prof Peacock explained a small number of tests would be tested in a laboratory before being distributed via Amazon and in places like Boots.
Prof Peacock added: "Once we are assured that they do work, they will be rolled out into the community.
"Testing the test is a small matter, and I anticipate that it will be done by the end of this week.
"In the near future people will be able to order a test that they can test themselves, or go to Boots, or somewhere similar to have their finger prick test done."
Asked whether this meant it would be available in a number of days, rather than weeks or months, she said "absolutely".

That's progress. Be interesting to see how the supply and demand model plays out and whether there is a mad scramble.

Because I've had / have symptoms, I'd be very curious. I've signed up for the government volunteer scheme anyway and hope I can get involved in the coming weeks when I'm symptom free.

I'd love to go and visit my best mate in the Algarve. He only moved there in the last 6 months with his family.

The other question of course is how greedy will the airlines be once the travel bans are lifted?

It will be interesting to see if they use lower pricing to build volume or higher to maximize returns on their lower capacity. I'd think the first as it is a scale business.

half of us may already have had it and not known...can't say I agree with this theory, but the testing might well prove it - if it does, great parts of our economy might be able to get kick-started ..

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/hea...n-oxford-university-study-finds-a4396721.html

Is Trump going to be able to deliver on getting parts of the US back to ( relative )
normality by Easter ?
How would the press on both sides of the pond react to that, my guess is that they would be furiously manipulating figures to try to show it wasn't working.

Question: Who is planning on travelling for a holiday as soon as they can after this is over?
We would love to go . We are great holiday people which is one of the things we were looking forward to in retirement . We put this year on hold , holiday wise , when my wife was taken in for her operation , then this virus really buggered everything up . I’m not sure now when we are likely to trust the info that this will ever be over . How do “they” ever make every aspect of travelling abroad for two weeks or so , totally virus free .
I just don’t know .

Nitrogen Dioxide levels have dropped across European cities as much as 50% in Madrid. ND affects lung capacity and can make flu symptoms worse as a result. Maybe the polution we are breathing in is making us more fragile to disease ?.

Epidemiological summary of COVID-19 cases in Canada
On this page
Geographical distribution
A total of 2,792 cases of COVID-19 have been reported in Canada as of March 24, 2020 at 6:00 PM EDT (Figure 1).

Twenty-seven deaths have been reported.

Figure 1. Distribution of confirmed and probable cases of COVID-19 by province or territory in Canada as of March 24, 2020, 6:00 PM EDT.
fig-1-eng.jpg

Map created by NML Geomatics Services
Figure 1 - Long description
Information on demographics, symptoms, and outcomes is currently available for 1,352 reported cases due to reporting lag times. Therefore, the data below should be used to observe trends and not absolute numbers.

Cases over time

The date of symptom onset of the first case of COVID-19 in Canada was January 15, 2020. Figure 2 and Figure 3 both show the COVID-19 case count over time. While Figure 2 displays the total (cumulative) number of cases per day, Figure 3 displays the number of new cases per day.

Figure 2. Cumulative COVID-19 cases (n=1,350Footnote1) in Canada by date of symptom onsetFootnote2 as of March 24, 2020, 11:00 AM EDT.
fig-2-eng.jpg

Figure 2 - Long description

Figure 3. New reported COVID-19 cases (n=1,350Footnote1) in Canada by date of symptom onsetFootnote2 as of March 24, 2020, 11:00 AM EDT
fig-3-eng.jpg

Data note: The shaded area represents a period of time (lag time) where it is expected that cases have occurred but have not yet been reported nationally.
Figure 3 - Long description

Demographics
Of the COVID-19 cases reported in Canada to date, approximately half (53%) are male. Approximately one third (30%) of cases are 60 years old and over (Figure 4).

Figure 4. Age distribution of COVID-19 cases (n=1,352) in Canada as of March 24, 2020, 11:00 AM EDT
fig-4-eng.jpg

Figure 4 - Long description

Symptoms and severity
Commonly reported symptoms among reported cases include cough (78 %), chills (51%), and fever (49 %).
Based on case reports received to date, 6% of cases have been hospitalized; 4% of cases have been admitted to hospital but did not require ICU admission and 2% of cases have been admitted to the ICU. Note that the Public Health Agency of Canada does not receive updates on case hospitalization status.

Twenty-seven people have died of COVID-19 to date in Canada.

Probable exposure setting
At this time, about half of all COVID-19 cases were exposed in the community, while about half were either exposed while travelling or exposed to a traveler returning to Canada. (Figure 5).

Figure 5. Probable exposure setting of COVID-19 cases (n=1,352) in Canada as of March 24, 2020, 11:00 AM EDT.
fig-5-eng.jpg

Figure 5 - Long description