(Not) Imminent Signings | Vital Football

(Not) Imminent Signings

collingham imps

Vital Squad Member
When do we expect them to arrive - been trailed for a while now and gone past the date when MA said that he wanted his squad together from - 17 August?

Think MA said two on loan in this week after the 17th date was mentioned previously. Supposedly Palmer and Morton the most likely?

lots of time yet with the extended transfer window, which could run until mid-october. some teams might wait until they have played a few games to make final signings, before releasing the better loanees. and of course there's the dreaded chain particularly for the high profile players like wingers, strikers and number tens. and maybe in our case - a chain for a decent goalkeeper.

to better assess the gaps in the squad, we might also be waiting to see the performances in the friendlies of a couple of players we already have - the trialist for instance, elbouzedi's suitability as a left winger, the young centre forward, roughan...

Plenty of time ye olde unpatient one. West Brom want to get a keeper in before they give the thumbs up for Palmer to come to us as it leaves them with only one. I'd expect both to arrive on the same day which might be closer to the 5th of September than possibly MA would have liked, but better to get your first choices than panicking and getting sloppy seconds now

Just said league one and two sides will have a maximum of 22 this season and 20 next.
Championship maximum of 25.
How close are we to 22? 3 off isn't it?

Just said league one and two sides will have a maximum of 22 this season and 20 next.
Championship maximum of 25.
How close are we to 22? 3 off isn't it?
It's 22 players aged 21 and over, plus an unlimited number under 21.

At present, we have:
21+: Anderson, Bolger, Bradley, Bridcutt, Edun, Elbouzedi, Grant, Hopper, Jackson, Jones, Lewis, McGrandles, Melbourne, Montsma, Ross, Scully, Walsh (17)
U21: Adebayo-Smith, Eyoma, Roughan (3)

At present, we have:
21+: Anderson, Bolger, Bradley, Bridcutt, Edun, Elbouzedi, Grant, Hopper, Jackson, Jones, Lewis, McGrandles, Melbourne, Montsma, Ross, Scully, Walsh (17)
Ahh right, as usual SSN report half the story
Thanks for that.

I think Eyoma counts towards the 22 as under 21 rule doesn’t apply to loan players.
Not sure about loaned out players, say we loaned out Bradley & an other could be down to 20?

I think Eyoma counts towards the 22 as under 21 rule doesn’t apply to loan players.
Where did you see that? That would be completely counter-productive, one of the reasons behind limiting squad size is to give opportunities to younger players. It would mean that no club would sign an academy player on loan, they would sign an experienced player instead.

At present, we have:

Where clubs already have more than the permitted number already signed are they going to be allowed to use the excess numbers? A quick scan through the bigger clubs in our division and they could already be in excess of the rule. It seems more than a little unfair if they can. I have not checked ages but the Ipswich squad page suggests they could already be well over the limit already.

Where clubs already have more than the permitted number already signed are they going to be allowed to use the excess numbers? A quick scan through the bigger clubs in our division and they could already be in excess of the rule. It seems more than a little unfair if they can. I have not checked ages but the Ipswich squad page suggests they could already be well over the limit already.
I think it depends on if they're assigned squad numbers.

As far as I know, each club has to submit a list of the 22 players to the EFL and cannot field anyone else (other than U21s). Theoretically they can employ other players, provided they remain within the salary cap: that would include players out on loan, where the amount of their wages paid by the borrowing club is added to the cap.

Where did you see that? That would be completely counter-productive, one of the reasons behind limiting squad size is to give opportunities to younger players. It would mean that no club would sign an academy player on loan, they would sign an experienced player instead.
"
It is reported: "The limits do not apply to cup competitions or include under-21s unless they were signed on loan.... It also includes a minimum number of eight players needing to be home grown.
"
Agree it seems harsh, should have been brought in gradually as teams adapt to the new rule. Don’t they realise It takes time to ‘create’ u21 players. This kind of stops us loaning a load of premier u21 players.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/spo...ews/stoke-city-squad-players-transfer-4440854

The rules for Under 21 players are different in the Championship. Loan players Under 21 are included in the squad list of 25 for Championship clubs but are excluded from the list of 22 for League 1 clubs. Also a player qualifies as an Under 21 player if he was under the age of 21 as at 1 January in the year in which the season concerned commences. So a player like Anthony Scully (born 19 April 99) would not be part of the squad list this season.