Nostalgia | Vital Football

Nostalgia

Some people have picked out more than me.

The ones I got - Alan Wilkes (back left), Brian Yeo (back short).

Front row Peach, Tydeman, Jacks, ?, Bootsie.

Last edited:
Is that Riverside in Rochester? Nice pic, but before my time. To be honest, I think most Gills players (and footballers generally) wouldn't know what end of hold on a cricket bat these days.

I've just noticed on the Season Ticket application form for next season that Under 14s have to be accompanied by an adult to attend games at Priestfield.

How times have changed. I started going with my Dad when I was 9 but by the time I was 11 I used to go on my own or with mates of the same age.

When I was 13, me and a mate (also 13) went to our first away game on the Supporters Coach and later that season went to Swansea on the GFC Special train for an FAC game.

I've just noticed on the Season Ticket application form for next season that Under 14s have to be accompanied by an adult to attend games at Priestfield.

How times have changed. I started going with my Dad when I was 9 but by the time I was 11 I used to go on my own or with mates of the same age.

When I was 13, me and a mate (also 13) went to our first away game on the Supporters Coach and later that season went to Swansea on the GFC Special train for an FAC game.

Was this supposed to be in the season ticket thread g69?

Btw- thing that’s confusing me about u14’s.

1/ An U14 gets in free every game accompanied by an adult.

2/ U14 MUST be accompanied by an adult.

3/ U14 season ticket from $30.

What? Why get a s/t if you have to go with an adult, and it’s free? What am I missing here?

Was this supposed to be in the season ticket thread g69?

Btw- thing that’s confusing me about u14’s.

1/ An U14 gets in free every game accompanied by an adult.

2/ U14 MUST be accompanied by an adult.

3/ U14 season ticket from $30.

What? Why get a s/t if you have to go with an adult, and it’s free? What am I missing here?

I've got my son his ST - I think you can only bring in an U14 for free with a full price or senior matchday ticket, so don't think you can bring them along for free if you have a ST.

Also, Scally's proposal to go cash free is unpopular enough - bringing in payment in $ may be a step too far!

I've got my son his ST - I think you can only bring in an U14 for free with a full price or senior matchday ticket, so don't think you can bring them along for free if you have a ST.

Also, Scally's proposal to go cash free is unpopular enough - bringing in payment in $ may be a step too far!

Actually, online people are saying a s/t for a U14 is the only way to guarantee the next seat if accompanied by an adult s/t holder. That would make sense.

Maybe a s/t holder can bring an U14 free, but probably would have to sit apart. Although I doubt that will be a problem most games. Doubt we’ll be very full, could sit where you like.

Actually, online people are saying a s/t for a U14 is the only way to guarantee the next seat if accompanied by an adult s/t holder. That would make sense.

Maybe a s/t holder can bring an U14 free, but probably would have to sit apart. Although I doubt that will be a problem most games. Doubt we’ll be very full, could sit where you like.

Yes, I checked the ST booklet and it just says U14s go free with a full paying adult or senior citizen - doesn't specify whether that includes STs, so may do. I'll check during the season as I'm likely to take my nephew at some stage and he hasn't got an ST, so will be interesting to see if he goes for free. As you say, it's unlikely we won't get a seat next to us, but if we can't, I'll move and leave him with my son and dad.

Going back to that generation it wasn't that rare to have footballing cricketers or the reverse. Charlton appear to had a few over the years .I would guess that the sports at grass roots level had closer links than they do today.Our own picture above was probably just a bit of fun .I see from the article Quirke and Peach were the top scorers.