Nostalgia for the old folks .. | Vital Football

Nostalgia for the old folks ..

Gilles Lingam

Vital Squad Member
I was thinking about the '60s … haircuts at Paddy Gohegan's in Victoria Street & reading the comics whilst waiting my turn. Football-wise there was Roy of the Rovers in the Tiger, Legge's Eleven in the Valiant and Gorgeous Gus in the Victor (if I remember these correctly)..
also, I remember the cardboard football league tables (given away with a daily newspaper, I can't remember which one) whereby all the teams could be moved into their correct slots to show their current positions.
1654934079811.png

by Shoot! magazine :
I had a similar one - possibly 68-69.
Until those tables, I had no idea that there was a team in Gillingham !
(Our address was Gillingham - but on the outskirts.)

A couple of curiosities:
Orient in green ?
Bradford in green ? (Surely not Bradford P.A. ?)
3 other teams matching Blackpool's orange ?

Brentford in their then usual place, yo-yoing between Div 3 and 4.

Celtic and Rangers in their usual position.
IIRC, in the 70s, Celtic won loads in succession - with Rangers being the only alternative before / after - until Aberdeen under Ferguson.

A couple of curiosities:
Orient in green ?
Bradford in green ? (Surely not Bradford P.A. ?)
"In 1911, Bradford P.A. changed its colours to green and white after the appointment of former Celtic player Tom Maley, brother of Willie Maley (who also played for Celtic before becoming their first manager). Avenue was the only club to wear green and white in the English First Division, between 1914 and 1921. The club reverted to red, amber and black with white in 1924, reviving green and white from 1958 to 1967. The reformed Bradford (Park Avenue) club has worn green and white since 1988...." (WikiP)
As for Leyton Orient .... I am red/green colour blind .... but ...

Finally time to admit that I made my own cardboard league table for the old Souithern League. I'd update from details in the Dartford Reporter.

Amazed I found these.

From Victor Comic - probably 1969-70.
I have two - the other tatty - with Gills 21st !

This one may show the table mid-season 1970-71.

Victor Table-Div3.jpg

"In 1911, Bradford P.A. changed its colours to green and white after the appointment of former Celtic player Tom Maley, brother of Willie Maley (who also played for Celtic before becoming their first manager). Avenue was the only club to wear green and white in the English First Division, between 1914 and 1921. The club reverted to red, amber and black with white in 1924, reviving green and white from 1958 to 1967. The reformed Bradford (Park Avenue) club has worn green and white since 1988...." (WikiP)

I saw them play a couple of times at Park Avenue against Notts County and Darlington -lost both. As I recall, a white kit with green trim. Still have the programmes somewhere.

Well you'll be pleased to hear that the EFL have made rule changes to help the colour blind.
Apparently, if there is a red/green colour clash, the home team will be allowed to change to their 2nd or 3rd kit to help the colour blind distinguish between the teams.
Suddenly that sounds obvious and makes you wonder why it's never been allowed before 🤔

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/ef...to-help-colour-blind-supporters-1654878511000