Non-League Players? | Vital Football

Non-League Players?

FACup Triumph

Vital Squad Member
I was interested in GWs recent comments about looking down the leagues for good finds and wondered what other people thought about it?

On the back of the academy players starting to come good, I figured this would be a very good move in sofar as budgeting and saving the club money when it is inevitably going to be in short supply next season. But most importantly will it be a positive move on the field of play? There has been murmerings of discontent this season, particularly during the long winless streak, but if the team starts to perform and they get some good performances under their belt from the remaining games there will be grounds for introducing more young hungry players that can do a job at Fratton Park. Some would even argue they could do a better job than some of the well-paid prima donnas did in the Championship years, or even the Brian Howards and the like who were supposed to help tear up the league.

Has anyone seen any non-league games this season? And seen a player or two who you thought could make the step-up? You only have to look at Stuart Pearce to acknowledge there are players in the non-league waiting for a chance prosper and shine.

I get to see Altrincham when I can and have got a couple of strikers, one who was looked at by league clubs last summer, and a second who is being watched this season.

Damian Reeves is late 20's but attracted a lot of attention last summer before signing for Altrincham again after keeping his word to the manager. His goal scoring record is 100 goals in 118 starts and 12 sub appearances. Maybe the step from Blue Square North to League 2 would be manageable.

Duncan Watmore is a young lad who has broken into the first team this season. Another striker, he is still learning his trade but has already attracted attention from a number of league clubs for his exploits this season.

The club have a You Tube channel, Alty TV, that has match highlights if you want to have a look at either of them.

Thanks for your interaction on this thread Alty. I think Pompey in League Two could be an excellent platform for finding new talent. I get the Non-League paper regularly and have often read about breakthrough players that would be attracted to coming Portsmouth. GW will know more about what he wants from new recruits but I would say one of the good things about recruiting Conference players would be their positive forces. Compare the obvious: Brain Howard's lack of ambition in League One, his above average pay grade and ultimately when he lost his self-confidence taking penalties his fear of failure. As the team's captain these negative forces can only bring the team down. Contrast that with the hungry ambition and will to succeed of an underated player who relishes the challenge of proving their ability on the bigger stage, you have positive forces that can help with the long-term development. I think if GW can get the right players at the bottom, supplemented with the emerging home grown talent and balanced with the right blend of experience, GW can reinvent the club's philososphy. That can only be a good thing after years of decline and embarassment.

Is an interesting one & a move I welcome.

I think there will be a number of non-league players who would do very well for us.

You hit on it. Buzsaky type players would "tear up the league" IF they played to the maximum of their ability. But they feel they dont need to. At 60% they are an average Joe, but getting paid a packet.

Young players & lower division players are more likely to give 100% in front of 12,000 at Fratton than the stars.

However, as I've said with the kids, you need balance. 11 non-league players would probably spell disaster, just as 11 kids would. But 2 or 3 in the starting XI is a great idea.

yep, lets get the blend right of youth, experience and hunger right next season and we should be onto a winner.

we SHOULD NOT be making many moves into the transfer market really, but if deals are right for us - as a players - bring em on, whatever level they come from and non-league is a decent level these days!

I think its very hard on Guy Whittingham that he cant actually start making any def. plans for the future until the court case is sorted, and that isn t going to happen for a while yet. :54:

.... and if that decision is not made soon we will start next season (hopefully) looking for a squad of players.

We need stability NOW and then the appointment of a permanent manager to start to rebuild the whole playing side of the club from the bottom to the top.

Yes we need the right blend of experience, youth and raw talent. They need a pre-season to sort out system and get to now each other. Then we need to have right go a League Two backed by an enthusiastic crowd.

Simple.

Wallace, Butler, Moutoukil have all played in non-league before performing in our current first team. Should be some good players able to make the step up to league two.

I don't necessarily think appointing a new manager is the way forward Dave. Guy and Arwfs have come out the other end so to speak and are starting to build confidence and belief. Guy also wants the job I'm lead to believe and has a better rapport with the fledgling players and an experienced hand in running the club at its lowest ebb. From this point of view the management team could feasibly come good and help rebuild the club from the dressing room up. Take a gander at Appy's disolving management career since leaving Pompey! There is a tendency to change managers too quickly in football and it's one of the primary reasons why football club's fail.

Clearly there are enough hungry players in the lower leagues attracted to Pompey NagBlue. Did Liam hail from in the non-league scene in Spain?

FACup Triumph - 20/3/2013 17:49

I don't necessarily think appointing a new manager is the way forward Dave. Guy and Arwfs have come out the other end so to speak and are starting to build confidence and belief. Guy also wants the job I'm lead to believe and has a better rapport with the fledgling players and an experienced hand in running the club at its lowest ebb. From this point of view the management team could feasibly come good and help rebuild the club from the dressing room up. Take a gander at Appy's disolving management career since leaving Pompey! There is a tendency to change managers too quickly in football and it's one of the primary reasons why football club's fail.

Clearly there are enough hungry players in the lower leagues attracted to Pompey NagBlue. Did Liam hail from in the non-league scene in Spain?

I agree with this, too. GW seems to be improving with a settled side. Stability is important.

I forgot Liam, he was playing in a semi-professional league in Spain. Plenty of quality in non-league if you are prepared to get over the stigma of 'non-league'.