Nixon | Vital Football

Nixon

E

exiled tic

I think the boards favourite gossip may have gone a bit silly with his story in the sun this morning that we are debating signing Jermaine Defoe! he probably earns 10 times what our current players get!

I would never reject out of hand any speculation on transfers as "where there is smoke there is fire" and someone has obviously set the rumour mill going. However I think I'm with you on this one.

I think the boards favourite gossip may have gone a bit silly with his story in the sun this morning that we are debating signing Jermaine Defoe! he probably earns 10 times what our current players get!

theres a bit of it going a round exciled.

I said it before and I will repeat it for those that missed it. If you start enough rumours you are eventually going to get one right, the scatter gun effect.

Willem Dafoe would be an excellent signing - just the sort of hard hitting character we need.

Does he play left back?

Not sure about left back, but we could do with him in the opposition box, that dive he did at the end of platoon may win us a few penalties.

If Defoe was available and a financial deal could be agreed that we could afford it think every club in the Championship above us would be interested and he could take his pick of better options than us.

I could see the new owners thinking big marquee name to make a statement but the cost of such a deal would fly in the face of the pragmatic approach IEC have discussed. If we have the type of cash available to tempt Defoe even on a subsidised loan I think we'd be better getting Powell, Morsy and Byrnes new deals sorted.

I have absolutely no doubt we would be interested in taking him on but I think the reality of it coming to pass is very unlikely.

I just had a look and couldn't see the tweet. I think you are getting mixed up for when Nixon said in reply about our interest in Dowell - 'Deffo fancied' as in we 'definitely' fancy Dowell not Defoe.

Think this thread may be a false alarm.

I just had a look and couldn't see the tweet. I think you are getting mixed up for when Nixon said in reply about our interest in Dowell - 'Deffo fancied' as in we 'definitely' fancy Dowell not Defoe.

Think this thread may be a false alarm.
Not a tweet King,it is actually written by him during his match report from saturday! in todays Sun newspaper!!

Not a tweet King,it is actually written by him during his match report from saturday! in todays Sun newspaper!!
Apologies you are indeed correct. Searched twitter and found it was tweeted too:

'Wigan. Looking into a surprise loan move for Jermain Defoe. Will probably be available. Size of wages the obvious issue.'

A fit Will Grigg with Powell, Jacobs and Massey supporting him is a far better option than wasting thousands on Defoe, unless of course we play them both up front together.

corect

to many times weve put all are eggs in one basket and its come back to bite are arris. hes no spring chick any more so heavy gruonds or a vigeruos champeonship challenge cuold put him out for a time and that will deffo put us on the back foot.

looks like palace are in for him ....might be dodging a bullet here
How on earth can you say that not signing one of the most natural and prolific English strikers the country has seen in modern times is “dodging a bullet”? Defoe at 36 is a better striker than Grigg at his best, he doesn’t miss sitters than Grigg did the likes of Swansea and Rotherham. In fact he scores them blindfolded.

I’d be honoured to have Defoe at our club, will never forget everything he did for young Bradley Lowery, not to mention he’d be a proper statement signing. However we couldn’t afford one of his legs and many bigger and richer clubs will be after him such as Palace. But I’m encouraged that we’re apparently looking at players of his ilk. Proven winners and performers at this level of football. That’s the only way we’ll ever rise higher than midtable Championship.