Nigel Kennedy | Vital Football

Nigel Kennedy

villasince67

Vital Football Hero
You can't argue with this can you - apart from the old pic of him in a Gabby shirt.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-should-tell-premier-13999290

I actually think his views on the Premier League as it is, are spot on. You can thank Platini and his band of crooks for creating FFP that has done exactly what I predicted - the rich getting richer and no club can ever join them.

Giving up your earned Premiership place? I understand what Nige is talking about, but I can't see it doing anything, so I wouldn't bother.

Of course we cannot abdicate our promotion. But I totally agree with the point about the state of the premier league. As a neutral over these past months, outside looking in. I find the premier league as stale and uninteresting. Seems like a tired product. There is a cycle with clubs aswell.
Stoke, Bournemouth, West Ham, Swansea, baggies. Teams that have been promoted, had great season or two then drop off cannot maintain it and are the lower to mid mainstays of the league. Burnley and Watford will be next to join that group.

Unless Dr X puts his money where his mouth is we will join this group. Got to say the rollercoaster and fight of a promotion fight is more appealing than fighting to win a few games just to get to 40 points.

But when all is said and done. Avfc should be and has to be in the top league.

I think he's talking utter bollocks. How would 22 teams in the Premier League improve anything?

I do think there is often a kind of inverted snobbery at play when people discuss this. For me the Championship is a shite league, low quality game after low quality game where how teams play often has no bearing on the result - certain teams are better at snatching results and that's about it. 'The likes of Watford and Bournemouth' are Premier League teams because they've earned it the 'bigger clubs in the Championship – Sheffield United, Sheffield Wednesday, Derby County, Nottingham Forest, Leeds United and so on' have no God given right to be up there. It's pure vanity to suggest that Villa vs Leeds is a big fixture anymore - I'd rather be playing Burnley in the top flight.

For me the Premier League is still the place to be - doing well in this division has been enjoyable this season but it's nothing to take pride in. Sport is about aspiring to be the best not being happy with being the big fish in a small pond.

Reckon the PL is more interesting now than it ever has been. 6 teams with a reasonable chance of the top 4 spots. Outsiders can upset things. No top team is safe from being upset by lower life; there is no such thing as a routine match. 5 points currently covering 10th to 17th. Even the bottom 3 clubs are far from out of it. If you support a PL team you're definitely not bored, although you're likely to suffer.

Changes? I'd be inclined to reduce the number of teams to 18, and have 4 teams relegated or promoted. Would boost the Championship as well, and possibly the cups.

McParlandTheGreat - 6/12/2017 13:07

Reckon the PL is more interesting now than it ever has been. 6 teams with a reasonable chance of the top 4 spots. Outsiders can upset things. No top team is safe from being upset by lower life; there is no such thing as a routine match. 5 points currently covering 10th to 17th. Even the bottom 3 clubs are far from out of it. If you support a PL team you're definitely not bored, although you're likely to suffer.

Changes? I'd be inclined to reduce the number of teams to 18, and have 4 teams relegated or promoted. Would boost the Championship as well, and possibly the cups.

:110: :1: :1: :1:

McGrath4Pope - 6/12/2017 12:34

I think he's talking utter bollocks. How would 22 teams in the Premier League improve anything?

I do think there is often a kind of inverted snobbery at play when people discuss this. For me the Championship is a shite league, low quality game after low quality game where how teams play often has no bearing on the result - certain teams are better at snatching results and that's about it. 'The likes of Watford and Bournemouth' are Premier League teams because they've earned it the 'bigger clubs in the Championship – Sheffield United, Sheffield Wednesday, Derby County, Nottingham Forest, Leeds United and so on' have no God given right to be up there. It's pure vanity to suggest that Villa vs Leeds is a big fixture anymore - I'd rather be playing Burnley in the top flight.

For me the Premier League is still the place to be - doing well in this division has been enjoyable this season but it's nothing to take pride in. Sport is about aspiring to be the best not being happy with being the big fish in a small pond.

Absolutely spot on.
Altho I did wonder if the article was a joke when it included that being 4th in the championship
was 'heady success'
:21:

McParlandTheGreat - 6/12/2017 13:07

To me saying that 5 points covers 10th to 17th kind of sums up the acceptance of just being in the premier league as an achievement. In all honestly I couldn't care less as to how close a poxy mid table battle is. How many clubs honours boards proudly display a 10th place finish on their list?. Nothing worse than hearing the MOTD pundits describing a club as 'established premier league'. For that read - mid table boredam. I guarantee that once the novelty of going up is over and a couple of mid table finishes for us there will be dissention and questions asked about the next level. Christ some were not happy with 6th place 3 years in a row!. As for anyone can beat anyone on a given day. In theory yes but let's be honest 99.9% of the time the usual clubs will prevail week in week out.

As I said before. Either we compete at the top end or I can't really be bothered or see the point of it other than the good Doctors pockets being royally lined.

The Championship is a better league because almost all of the clubs are of a similar standard. It's fun and it's great to be winning again but I hope this is our last season in the Championship.

I grew up with us always fighting for Europe. That's where I expect the club to be.

While I see where he's coming from, I would agree with what most of said here, yes, he's talking bollocks.

I have been guilty myself of scoffing at fixtures such as Bournemouth vs Watford live on Sky Sports in the Premier League, but why should these kind of clubs be denied their status? They are there on merit. Isn't that what sport is all about?

There's no doubt the amount of money has spoiled it a bit, but Leicester only won it 2 seasons ago so that blows the theory that only an elite can win it out of the water.

Just sounds like an old guy rambling on about how things "were better off in my day"

I would much prefer us to be in the premier league. We might have a chance of winning more games in the championship but I probably count on my hands the number of players from other clubs I actually know. I don't watch any championship football other than villa because I simply don't have the interest. My interest in the premier league has waned somewhat but it's still a lot more entertaining to watch top players at Man City or Chelsea etc than it is to watch any championship team