Nicknames | Vital Football

Nicknames

BodyButter

Vital Football Legend
I'll spare the Diaby thread from this topic.

Do you have nickname? Ever worked with anyone with a good nickname?

My football team mates used to call me The Rock, mostly because of my enthusiasm for running.

I used to work with a guy called Ate The Ham. Nobody knew (or would tell me) where it came from. He hated it.

I played football here with a guy we called The Manwhore. He hated that too but made the fatal error of telling someone to call him Manwhore after a mix up with another guy with the same first name.

I'll spare the Diaby thread from this topic.

Do you have nickname? Ever worked with anyone with a good nickname?

My football team mates used to call me The Rock, mostly because of my enthusiasm for running.

I used to work with a guy called Ate The Ham. Nobody knew (or would tell me) where it came from. He hated it.

I played football here with a guy we called The Manwhore. He hated that too but made the fatal error of telling someone to call him Manwhore after a mix up with another guy with the same first name.
We had a 5 a side football team called...

The secs pests.

We also tried to get away with the name 'sodomania 22' at villa stumps. But we were told to change it after a few weeks. Lol.

If you've ever read Bob Mortimers book or seen him on Would I Lie To You you'll know his friends have some of the most amazing names and nicknames.

I just googled 'Bob Mortimer friends nicknames' and you can actually buy a framed print with them all on! 😂

Some of these are real names but most are nicknames. Bonkers. Love Bob Mortimer.

Screenshot_2024-02-24-09-56-07-77_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

I remember Snipers Dream was because he had a huge forehead. 😂😂

Also Gary 'Cheesy' Cheeseman was named cheesy for his love of cheese and randomly nothing to do with the fact that his surname was Cheeseman. 🤷

My best mate calls me ‘fat bloke’. I’m not fat . But ever since I’ve known him he never greats me with anything else but ‘Alright fat bloke’ .

On a similar theme. When started in my work a bloke on the team was nicknamed ‘sausage’ . I never caught on immediately but they thought he looked a bit sausage like , porky like.
As said I never caught onto the reason immediately and after a couple of weeks….

I asked Sausage…. ‘ why do they call you sausage?’.

Sausage ‘ do they ?’

Awks ! .

And actually 25 years later I still speak to him occasionally and he is still known as Sausage at work . He’s just embraced it , fair play. lol.

Within days of starting secondary school almost every lad in the whole year had a nickname whether they liked it or not. And they've all stuck to this day.

I was called Egg Head, not because I was bald or shaven, but I had one of those 90's type undercuts, so because the chief nickname giver shouted that at me one day, that was it for me. Ridiculous.

He was called Squash, because one day he got a "swish" in basketball and called out "squash" and that was it. Drove him nuts. Even today if we saw him we'd shout squash at him and he'd tell us to fuck off.

Another guy was called Coco Pops because he had slightly darker skin than us. Saw him for the first time in years at a wedding recently, we reverted back to 12 year olds shouting at each other across the venue, much to people's bemusement.

Grow up? Naaah.

Fellowship alot of nicknames in every area. Here's a few

Paul with the shorts or Shortie Paul (Always wore shorts accept for 2 weeks of the year at Christmas and New Year)
Tiny Tom
Dino Deano
Clocky Tim
Minnie Mouse Tessa
Cornflake Jim
Professor Mark
Jammy Pammy
Minnie mouse (Teresa)
Trolley Jack
Paddling pool Gordon
Whiskas John

Alot are just known by their homegroup or places they come from.

There are loads of those as we get so many with the same name we have to differential them somehow

There are loads more though that's all I can of think of for now

I really can't remember mine as I had a few depending on which group we are talking about, and I won't tell you some of the ones the missus had lol.

But 'headphones' is the one I remember. I never wore headphones and this somehow developed during a football game.

Within days of starting secondary school almost every lad in the whole year had a nickname whether they liked it or not. And they've all stuck to this day.

I was called Egg Head, not because I was bald or shaven, but I had one of those 90's type undercuts, so because the chief nickname giver shouted that at me one day, that was it for me. Ridiculous.

He was called Squash, because one day he got a "swish" in basketball and called out "squash" and that was it. Drove him nuts. Even today if we saw him we'd shout squash at him and he'd tell us to fuck off.

Another guy was called Coco Pops because he had slightly darker skin than us. Saw him for the first time in years at a wedding recently, we reverted back to 12 year olds shouting at each other across the venue, much to people's bemusement.

Grow up? Naaah.
My best friend at school was the mastermind of 99% of all our schools nicknames. Some examples.

Clip on - a lad who had a clip on ear ring.
Skiddo - a lad who had skid marks on his y fronts at camp.
Mom's bum - a lad so ugly we said he came out of his mom's bum.
Freakazoid - (me) when I had an allergic reaction at camp.