NG Green. Ten years - not a chance.. | Vital Football

NG Green. Ten years - not a chance..

LancsGordoRoad

Vital Champions League
No more new petrol or diesel cars after 2030 - only electric cars what ! Can only think that BJ wants a headline for when the UK hosts the next UN Climate Conference in Scotland next year.

Not that it`s a bad idea, it`s just not at all practical given only ten years to prepare. We all want to improve the environment, but ten years, come off it Boris !

Much as we know that the UK is supreme at getting big projects completed swiftly, I mean: Decisions in no time at all when it comes to runways at Heathrow, new HS2 railway lines, NHS IT Projects, Cross-rail and lots more - all put together and implemented with almost Chinese like speed - NOT.........

It`s another lala land vision and poor attempt at trying to virtue signal to young Greta and all those who`d understandably appreciate a better environment. We can`t even sort out our public transport, is there really any chance at all of creating a huge infra-structure to support all-electric transport ?

And, what about battery components ? What about the extra electricity required to be generated ? What about some honesty.

The cynic in me says he is saying it to try and get people to rush out and buy cars now?
A post Brexit UK may not be such an attractive option for foreign companies like Nissan, Honda, Toyota etc and he needs to get a trade deal that does not lead to them moving out.

No more new petrol or diesel cars after 2030 - only electric cars what ! Can only think that BJ wants a headline for when the UK hosts the next UN Climate Conference in Scotland next year.

Not that it`s a bad idea, it`s just not at all practical given only ten years to prepare. We all want to improve the environment, but ten years, come off it Boris !

Much as we know that the UK is supreme at getting big projects completed swiftly, I mean: Decisions in no time at all when it comes to runways at Heathrow, new HS2 railway lines, NHS IT Projects, Cross-rail and lots more - all put together and implemented with almost Chinese like speed - NOT.........

It`s another lala land vision and poor attempt at trying to virtue signal to young Greta and all those who`d understandably appreciate a better environment. We can`t even sort out our public transport, is there really any chance at all of creating a huge infra-structure to support all-electric transport ?

And, what about battery components ? What about the extra electricity required to be generated ? What about some honesty.
Agreed.

Cleaner cars should be an aim but too often anti-car policies seem to miss that point.

A segment on today's news started out overwhelmingly positive.
But as the practicalities were explored, it became clear that an awful lot of infrastructure is required.

The question of whether battery life will be good enough for rural motorists was soon overtaken by whether motorists in urban areas could charge their vehicles overnight.
A picture was painted of a terrace of Victorian houses (much of Gillingham ?), with cables trailing across the footway to people's homes...
...assuming they could actually park outside.
This was addressed by suggesting that lamposts could become charging points. OK, but how long to fit thousands of charging points ?

There was discussion about the lifetime of a battery - where and how to dispose of or recycle - and cost of replacement (presumably a lot more than today's batteries).

With all this pessimism, am I beginning to sound like a Remainer ....
....or can the infrastructure be installed within 9 years.

Perhaps the most disappointing was the apparent aim to stop selling Hybrids too,

The cynic in me says he is saying it to try and get people to rush out and buy cars now?
A post Brexit UK may not be such an attractive option for foreign companies like Nissan, Honda, Toyota etc and he needs to get a trade deal that does not lead to them moving out.

Plus at least two of those companies are forerunners in alternative fuel cars, be nice for them if there was a massive UK demand for such vehicles over the next few years on top of a more imminent demand for conventional motors 🤔

No idea if his plan will work but worth a try.

Met a guy a few years back who worked in the car industry (didn't know him very well so may have been talking shite).

Anyway, he reckoned car companies could make advances on electric cars much quicker but wanted sell all the interim models as they developed them.

Maybe this will speed up the development.

The plan is to ban the sale of new petrol and diesel cars from 2030. Not to ban the use of all petrol and diesel cars from 2030. How long would a new petrol car last if bought in 2029?

So it isn't the case that a complete transformation is needed in the next decade and full infrastructure rolled out in that time. In any case, car manufacturers could easily speed up their developments in this regard, they just don't while it remains more profitable to build and sell what they know.

The fact is that while 10 years may sound short to some, we don't even have that long to change our behaviour if we are to prevent catastrophic impacts from climate change.

No idea if his plan will work but worth a try.

Met a guy a few years back who worked in the car industry (didn't know him very well so may have been talking shite).

Anyway, he reckoned car companies could make advances on electric cars much quicker but wanted sell all the interim models as they developed them.

Maybe this will speed up the development.

Doubt that production of electric cars will be a problem (as you imply), it`s the infra-structure required to make them viable that`s the big issue. Even though folk will still be able to use petrol/diesel cars post 2030, companies, local authorities and other huge fleet purchasers will all need to be buying electric. And, when nearing 2030, will those who want new cars, and that`s lots and lots of people, risk buying a petrol car in 2029 ? And to take Tarian`s point about charging points, the mind boggles for those living in urban area blocks of apartments - they`ll need very long leads !!!

The plan is to ban the sale of new petrol and diesel cars from 2030. Not to ban the use of all petrol and diesel cars from 2030. How long would a new petrol car last if bought in 2029?

So it isn't the case that a complete transformation is needed in the next decade and full infrastructure rolled out in that time. In any case, car manufacturers could easily speed up their developments in this regard, they just don't while it remains more profitable to build and sell what they know.

The fact is that while 10 years may sound short to some, we don't even have that long to change our behaviour if we are to prevent catastrophic impacts from climate change.

Admirable, robbo. Boris could do with your help when he makes speeches about this in 2022, post the Climate Conference ;)
How long would a new petrol car last if bought in 2029 ? Why would someone want to buy one in 2029? And, why would manufacturers still be producing them, their planning is years in advance; their output would be solely electric in advance of 2029 unless, of course, the reality of how daft Boris` timetable is had already been exposed .....

Contrary to what other say, I think it will depress car sales if anything.

A car is a relatively long term investment. At a guess, I expect that the average person changes car every 5-7 years.

That means if you were to buy a petrol car now, there would be no resale market by the time you come to replace it. Scrap value only.

Could be a lucrative bonus for Cornwall as lithium is apparently quite abundant around the Redruth area.

I visited Jaguar Land rovers engine plant in Wolverhampton a couple of years ago. Half of it was being updated for Electric propulsion

Industry is getting ready but for me until we have fast chargers readily available it won't go mainstream. Today pull into a petrol station and top your tank up in what 5 mins max ?

Until we get something close to that I don't really see it happening.

As Bozo is backing it then even less likely.

Doubt that production of electric cars will be a problem (as you imply), it`s the infra-structure required to make them viable that`s the big issue. Even though folk will still be able to use petrol/diesel cars post 2030, companies, local authorities and other huge fleet purchasers will all need to be buying electric. And, when nearing 2030, will those who want new cars, and that`s lots and lots of people, risk buying a petrol car in 2029 ? And to take Tarian`s point about charging points, the mind boggles for those living in urban area blocks of apartments - they`ll need very long leads !!!
I know you were saying it in yet but - if it isn't already I assume it'll be mandatory for electric parking spaces when building new apartments (if they have parking).

Not sure about existing developments, but starting a company that installs them won't be a shout...

Same old story, people moan about global warming, people moan that governments don't take it seriously, then they complain when they do.
Also happening with the new cycling changes, where they have erected solid barriers on the old painted lines in towns, I think it's brilliant, I actually feel safe riding in town, trouble is people are complaining that it causes traffic delays where they can't drive in the cycle lane anymore.

Admirable, robbo. Boris could do with your help when he makes speeches about this in 2022, post the Climate Conference ;)
How long would a new petrol car last if bought in 2029 ? Why would someone want to buy one in 2029? And, why would manufacturers still be producing them, their planning is years in advance; their output would be solely electric in advance of 2029 unless, of course, the reality of how daft Boris` timetable is had already been exposed .....
Though I agree with you, I can still remember a V12 e-type sitting in the Medway Street, Chatham, Jag showroom. It wouldn't sell because of the oil price-rise. It was one of the last 50 made with a brass plaque on the glove compartment saying so. Today they are worth £500,000 !!

I understand the doubts but WW2 lasted 6 years and brought bewildering levels of change technologically and socially. Electric cars have been adopted in cities with far higher percentages of flat dwellers. There is a massive existing infrastructure of street lighting that could accommodate charging points

Your ICE vehicle is an old an powerful friend but modern electric cars match it's performance and are better suited to urban driving. The real struggle is over charging but not for the reasons we are told. We have a huge petrol/diesel fuelling system and some companies have an equally huge economic interest. They are moving to the new system and will drive it once the pendulum swings.

Get an electric bike, quicker, cheaper, more convenient. I'll be getting one when my legs fail.