Next seasons budget | Page 3 | Vital Football

Next seasons budget

Are you sure about the hotels staff being shown on the accounts of the football club?

I would have thought that the Hotel business would have had separate accounts.

I haven't checked this and you may be correct but it seems strange that the football club and hotel are not separated as if one fails it could drag the other down. Which is why businesses normally have a holding company with the businesses split into individual companies for accounting purposes, much like we had when DW was the owner with the Stadium Co. and Football Club.

It explicitly stated the hotel staff within their accounts in the employees section.

1680792659440.png

Continuing to compare other wage bills to ours. Plymouth are the first club I've seen that has more employees than us, and it's nearly 100. They also have a breakdown of where those employees are, they have a lot more match day / hospitality staff than us but less first team / academy staff. Not every club has a full break down but compared to other clubs the number of academy coaching and medical staff we seems to be higher than most.

But despite them having a significantly larger number of employees their wage bill only comes in at 6m (no break down on how much is player and non player related).

MK Dons accounts have been submitted but are not available yet but the year before they ran a 4m wage bill with only 107 employees. Charlton's accounts aren't available either they ran a 9m wage bill with 165 employees,

The other thing I've noticed comparing accounts is with the money from the EFL being only about 2m each - crowd size is making a really big difference. Which means unfortunately we have had the lowest revenue amongstthe big hitters in L1. Plymouth had 3m more revenue than us, with them bringing in nearly 4m in ticket sales compared to us having just over 2m. It's going to be a real reality check if we go down.

Last edited:
Continuing to compare other wage bills to ours. Plymouth are the first club I've seen that has more employees than us, and it's nearly 100. They also have a breakdown of where those employees are, they have a lot more match day / hospital staff than us but less first team / academy staff. Not every club has a full break down but compared to other clubs the number of academy coaching and medical staff we seems to be higher than most.

But despite them having a significantly larger number of employees their wage bill only comes in at 6m (no break down on how much is player and non player related).

MK Dons accounts have been submitted but are not available yet but the year before they ran a 4m wage bill with only 107 employees. Charlton's accounts aren't available either they ran a 9m wage bill with 165 employees,

The other thing I've noticed comparing accounts is with the money from the EFL being only about 2m each - crowd size is making a really big difference. Which means unfortunately we have had the lowest revenue amongstthe big hitters in L1. Plymouth had 3m more revenue than us, with them bringing in nearly 4m in ticket sales compared to us having just over 2m. It's going to be a real reality check if we go down.

The number of staff is an average and also does not distinguish between full time and part time employees

It explicitly stated the hotel staff within their accounts in the employees section.

View attachment 64694

Yeah, I saw that but were are the ground staff, medical staff and academy staff shown, plus maybe matchday part time staff?

Are they being included as administrative? Surely the ground staff aren't.

It is virtually impossible to make comparisons given the differing accounting practices.

A
Just had a peek at the accounts for the holding company, Football Ventures, they do show the hotel staff and football staff as separate figures.

What I would surmise is that the figure given for the hotel staff includes matchday staff for hospitality and conference facilities, which is included in our inclusive staff figure.

The anomaly for me is that there are no figures shown for the ground staff, medical staff and academy staff within their figure for the playing staff.

Their figure for the playing side is headed " Management, Administration and Football Players". It seems strange to lump the aforesaid staff into the heading they have used.

Edit:
The accounts I have seen are for the second year of Football Ventures being in control, it will be interesting to see the difference in this years accounts.
Are they the ones that are overdue?

There was an article in the WEP last week from Kenrick that spoke about the expected budget Maloney will have for next season (full article below)

OPINION: Why Wigan Athletic need Shaun Maloney to follow up his 'ruthless' pledge this summer | Wigan Today

It stated that next seasons the budget is expected to be two thirds of what we had last time in league 1, which is a third of our current budget. Which was about half of what Caldwell had in L1 last time.

It was previously reported by Kendrick in the below article from the fans meeting with Talal that last seasons player wage bill was 7m. While the accounts show the total wage bill being at 13m. We also spent over 1m on transfer fees.

What happened when Talal Al Hammad met Wigan Athletic fans' representatives | Wigan Today

The total wage bill for Caldwells season in L1 was about 12m, but i don't think there was a break down on how much was on players vs rest of the staff. Also Caldwell spent about 4 million on transfer fees, although players were also sold to potentially balance that.

Putting all of the above information together seems to suggest next seasons wage bill could be as much as 5m, which would be higher than i expected and still be very big for L1. I was thinking it was more likely to be around 3m.

It also suggest that the wage bill this season increased drastically despite us not signing many new players. Perhaps that includes all the managers and staff pay offs or maybe all of the squad last season got increases after promotion.

Interesting to get glimpses of the potential figures.

Last edited:
The problem with what kendrick has said there is that he's completely ignored wage inflation that's happened since Caldwell league 1.

Let's be honest here Wyke and magennis take up 1 mil of a 5mil player budget. That leaves 4 mil to cover everyone else, yep we will sell players and offload people like shinnie etc but the reality is the money left is buttons.

They originally said 2 mil over income was the budget. Personally I've zero trust they can afford to run us.

Plus what happens if a miracle comes off and we stay up? Or is this now the reason why they were happy to take the 3 points.

The problem with what kendrick has said there is that he's completely ignored wage inflation that's happened since Caldwell league 1.

Let's be honest here Wyke and magennis take up 1 mil of a 5mil player budget. That leaves 4 mil to cover everyone else, yep we will sell players and offload people like shinnie etc but the reality is the money left is buttons.

They originally said 2 mil over income was the budget. Personally I've zero trust they can afford to run us.

Plus what happens if a miracle comes off and we stay up? Or is this now the reason why they were happy to take the 3 points.
If we stay up we get another £5m

I don't think the owners would deliberately try and take the deduction to go down as it is likely to costs them more money to run us in L1 and much harder to sell us.

Also remember we have about 16 players out of contract at the end of the season, plus if everyone got pay rises for promotion i suspect they also have reductions for relegation. So the wage bill is going to shrink drastically before we look at moving anyone under contract out.

If we do have a budget as high as 5m (which to be honest sounds too high to me even if that is what is being indicated by Kendrick article) then i think what is left will comfortably fit into that. But i think realistically it may be less than 5m and we'll be looking to move some of the higher earners out.

Last edited:
And all these numbers are why all our out of contracted players need to be released and why those still under contract like Kerr, Magennis, Jones, Shinnie will need to be sold. You can kiss goodbye to any transfer fees being paid for the foreseeable fortune as well. We'll be shopping in the free/loan market exclusively.

I can't see a player currently on the books attracting a multi-million offer which would help balance the books so it's exclusively Poundland from here on in. The staff bill off the pitch needs a good trimming as well.