Next Seasons Away Kit | Vital Football

Next Seasons Away Kit

ME8_Gills

Vital Reserves Team
https://www.gillinghamfootballclub.com/news/2018/february/anniversary-kit-ideas/

Quite like the 1st one.

Reminds me of a guy on the old David Mellor football phone in. Not the same kit but the caller asked along the lines of 'what happens when we play away at Newcastle or Notts County?'.

I always preferred shirts with collars so put the collar from design 4 on 1 or 2 and I would be happy with either

No 2 with no 4's collar would be perfect.

Also, I'd be happy for black and white stripes as our away kit every season. Didn't that used to be the case in the old days?

I like that idea of 2 but with 4's collar. I always loved the blue/black and red/black striped kits, nice nod to the New Brompton days but with the modern day Gillingham blue/red. Never liked the yellow and the pink was disgusting.

Wayne.Kerr - 1/2/2018 14:54

Reminds me of a guy on the old David Mellor football phone in. Not the same kit but the caller asked along the lines of 'what happens when we play away at Newcastle or Notts County?'.

You wear your 1st kit. :83:

I like it, but they ought go with black socks, which is what we wore back then, especially as the home kit currently has white socks, and I reckon it should have white shorts as well, because that's what we wore for most of our black-and-white days.

They all look OK, but I think I prefer number two, because the stripes aren't broken up. Not bothered about collars. The important thing about striped shirts is they should have stripes on the sleeves and, most important of all, on the back. Nothing looks worse than striped shirts with a plain back.

It's also nice of the club to ask the fans for suggestions.

I seem to remember there is some superstition to do with white socks which started with Ruud Gullit at Chelsea (they were going to change to blue but he blocked it) and a load of teams followed suit.

I might have dreamed that but if I did I'd be rather worried as it's a bit random :12:

Gordon_Road_Mat - 1/2/2018 15:05

Also, I'd be happy for black and white stripes as our away kit every season. Didn't that used to be the case in the old days?

I've often thought that the stripes should be our away kit too. And number 2 for me also, just as it is.

I seem to recall that "in the old days" (hurrumpf) teams had one main kit that they wore for all matches, only changing if there were clashes.

Like the idea of a kit as near to the original as realistically possible .But bringing it up to date so I think I would go with the collar for that reason and as it seems more new Brompton the number 4 if it had to be one of those .Happy with any when it comes to it .But needs to be of better quality .The current kits really are not good enough .

Trashbat - 1/2/2018 14:49

Players should also grow moustaches like the photo in the link.
Like the idea as a charity fund raiser .Fans could buy signed photos of the players in black and white kits complete with moustaches(maybe in black and white ) .Then after they shave the home kit (in colour )
What about a blue and white stripes home kit to match with a black and blue away kit too as opposed to a totally different kit .

Number 3 for me.

I can't imagine any sponsor will be happy with number 2 as it might hard to see their name / logo.

Agreed nice to see the club reach out and ask for views.

I wonder what the home kit will be. I do like blue/black stripes.

"I can't imagine any sponsor will be happy with number 2 as it might hard to see their name / logo."

Dead right of course but that's what I especially liked about number 2, looks very subtle and I wish we could go back to the days of no shirt sponsorship.

Nice touch to suggest wearing it for the two home games but I'd go one further and have it as the home kit just for the season. The 'home' special kit in 2012-13 was predominantly red and didn't seem to cause so much fuss so I don't think it would meet with much resistance.

With all respect, Nobby, balls to that. Jubilee kits can be a nice gimmick, and running out in them once is fine, but not for a whole season. It's a great change kit with a good nod to history, but a team has to have its own identity, and ours is blue and white and has been for over 80 years. I wasn't happy with the red and blue - partciularly because no-one could tell from the old photos which bits were originally red and which were blue. It was only because we got promoted that people put up with it.

And since when has a 125th-year anniversary been a thing? In a couple of years it'll be the 100th anniversary of getting into the League and people will be expecting something else for that.

That way lies madness, and changing your colours like underpants in the manner of Crystal Palace.

Alderman Barnes - 1/2/2018 20:22

And since when has a 125th-year anniversary been a thing? In a couple of years it'll be the 100th anniversary of getting into the League and people will be expecting something else for that.

Ever since the marketing people decided that you could flog stuff by calling it an anniversary special

Gordon_Road_Mat - 1/2/2018 15:05

Yep, agree with GRM. If I knew how to set up a Poll, this would be a good subject.