Next Manager/Head Coach Discussion | Page 61 | Vital Football

Next Manager/Head Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steady....I lavished praise on what the Cowleys did in the rest of my post. The point I made here was simply to say that Johnson, Rogers and Grant were exceptional. Johnson is now playing at the top of the Premier League and was sold for £47.5 million in the summer. Not many Lincoln managers have had that level of talent at their disposal.
Without MA, there would have been no loan signing of Johnson and Rodgers.

He also sorted Grant out to produce the best football of his career.

I think we will have to agree to differ on Michael Appleton. He didn't pull any trees up with a very talented Neil Critchley Blackpool team when he left Lincoln either. He took them from mid-table to relegation.

I feel that the Cowleys would give the whole club, city and community a massive lift.

The last few years have been so grim since the pandemic. I would like to be entertained for 90 minutes to take my mind off everything else. The Cowleys gave everyone such a lift and it was a joy to watch Lincoln City whilst they were here.

If MA had left at the end of 20/21 season - he would now be top of everyone's list to come back....

If DC had stayed in 19/20 who knows....
we may have been top of the League with Jake Hesketh, Jack Payne and Cian Bolger now club legends and us in the Championship. Its probably as easy as that.

N
Steady....I lavished praise on what the Cowleys did in the rest of my post. The point I made here was simply to say that Johnson, Rogers and Grant were exceptional. Johnson is now playing at the top of the Premier League and was sold for £47.5 million in the summer. Not many Lincoln managers have had that level of talent at their disposal.
.You seem to be part of a growing trend who have selected memory loss regarding Appleton's .Many have criticized his personality Let's take an alternative view .He was never guilty of berating the officials with foul language and tantrums.He never bullshitted his way into the job .He never made false claims.He managed his health crisis with dignity. .He took us close to Championship Football and introduced us to a style of football beyond anything I have consistently seen as an Imp .Give the Guy a break

At the end of the day we have now been told that there won't be any appointment this week and any of the possible candidates will not be leaked by the club. So any speculation by the press or anybody else will be just that, speculation.
The only way we can cross any names off is if they get appointed to the numerous manager jobs available.
It is going to feel a long and frustrating week!

I think we will have to agree to differ on Michael Appleton. He didn't pull any trees up with a very talented Neil Critchley Blackpool team when he left Lincoln either. He took them from mid-table to relegation.

I feel that the Cowleys would give the whole club, city and community a massive lift.

The last few years have been so grim since the pandemic. I would like to be entertained for 90 minutes to take my mind off everything else. The Cowleys gave everyone such a lift and it was a joy to watch Lincoln City whilst they were here.

MA is clearly, to some extent at least, a flawed manager. But when he gets things working, as Oxford fans will testify, the football and results can be spectacular. Maybe it's because the games were only on ifollow, but the sudden amnesia regarding season 2020/2021 is odd.

Also..
Looking at lincoln city manager 'update' posts on FB, many comments are ridiculously negative or spouting conspiracy nonsense about Jez George and Liam Scully. I guess I need to keep remembering the mass majority dont comment. Social media really does just amplify the opinions of those that are usually not worth hearing.

Without MA, there would have been no loan signing of Johnson and Rodgers.
I recognise that there was a family-friend connection with Appleton and Johnson, but why was Appleton the key to getting Rodgers? I seem to remember a lot of talk at the time about promoting Lincoln to Premiership clubs, I thought that was why we got Rodgers, but I am happy to be proved wrong.

I think we are forgetting the biggest draw for getting bums on seats and driving excitement is winning matches, not which manager we have. All the personality in the world isn't enough if you can't consistently win more games than you lose or draw every week.

Just look at the euphoria about Tom Shaw after two wins and the desperation after a draw and two defeats. That isn't a statement about Tom Shaw's ability, it is a reflection of what we all want to see on game day.

Whoever comes in, it is a results driven gig.

I think we are forgetting the biggest draw for getting bums on seats and driving excitement is winning matches, not which manager we have. All the personality in the world isn't enough if you can't consistently win more games than you lose or draw every week.

Just look at the euphoria about Tom Shaw after two wins and the desperation after a draw and two defeats. That isn't a statement about Tom Shaw's ability, it is a reflection of what we all want to see on game day.

As somebody used to say on here results end of

At the end of the day we have now been told that there won't be any appointment this week and any of the possible candidates will not be leaked by the club. So any speculation by the press or anybody else will be just that, speculation.
The only way we can cross any names off is if they get appointed to the numerous manager jobs available.
It is going to feel a long and frustrating week
Yes Phil Neville appointed at Portland Timbers. So I’m reluctantly crossing him off my list.

it is a reflection of what we all want to see on game day.

As Liam said last night, the primary role of whoever comes in ...... whatever else the board or the fans might want........is to best prepare the team for 3pm on a Saturday to give them the best chance of winning the game.

Whilst other qualities are important, they are all secondary to actual results.

In 2016, when Lincoln appointed the Cowleys, the club was heading to oblivion. What followed was remarkable. Fabulous FA Cup runs, promotions and a Cup final win too. The city and county were gripped, kids wore Lincoln City shirts and many looked enviously as Sincil Bank was packed. Let's not forget the money and exposure that came into the club in gate receipts, TV and FA cup prize money.

We then hear about a careful recruitment process.

Kennedy has been sacked, so something must have gone wrong behind the scenes.

Appleton didnt care about the community links did he. I hated his style of anti-football in his later time, which made pulling out fingernails more entertaining.

Before we talk about league positions, play off final etc, just remember the impact that Brennan Johnson, Morgan Rogers and Jorge Grant had. Could it be argued that anyone could have managed these exceptional players, and that this was achieved in spite of Appleton.

Which brings me to my final point. With the club stagnating and attendances falling, wouldn't bringing back the Cowleys re-energize the club, city and county. The Cowleys are a massive part of the reason why Lincoln are where they are today.

If following the plan means watching dire, negative football, then attendances will continue to fall.

A stroke of luck has given Lincoln the chance to enjoy Cowleys Part 2. Please dont blow it.
Great post, pity you’ve only posted sporadically on this site in the past. :clap:

Listening to Liam Scully yesterday all I heard was hot-air and waffle. I’m having serious doubts about him lately.

If the new boss does take over for the Stevenage game, 5 of the first 7 will be away, tough start.
Since Kennedy left 5 out of 7 will have been at home, the vagaries of the fixtures

I recognise that there was a family-friend connection with Appleton and Johnson, but why was Appleton the key to getting Rodgers? I seem to remember a lot of talk at the time about promoting Lincoln to Premiership clubs, I thought that was why we got Rodgers, but I am happy to be proved wrong.

I guess because Rogers had 9 years in West Brom's academy he'd have been well known to Mapp, and he and followed him to Blackpool. Plus us having a lot of West Brom academy graduates/players Rogers had played with at England youth level (which maybe wouldn't be a thing now based on the sturdy route we have more recently taken with recruitment.

There was a thing at the time of us fostering links with Man City via Jez George and we got Fiorini the following season, so it's probably (like a lot of things) a bit of both. Interestingly the people referenced at City - Fergal Harkin (Standard Liege! - who were linked with Mandroiu) and Joe Shields (Chelsea) aren't there now.

I may be wrong, but prior to joining us MA was coaching at West Brom from whom Man City had bought Rogers. I'm presuming there was some overlap.

Anyone on here referencing the 'results end of' mantra is living in cloud cookoo land.

We've just sacked a manager who was achieving half decent results but was playing some of the most boring ,negative, scared of getting beat football that we've ever had the misfortune to witness.

The board have indicated what sort of team they want the manager to produce and I bet they're not telling interviewees that they don't care how they play as long as they win.

Fans have every right to say they want to be entertained, its what we go to football to support our team for.

Anybody who can sit there and watch the type of turgid rubbish Kennedy was churning out week I, week out, fair play to you but that's not what the majority of fans wanted and that was clear to see with our attendances which were starting to dip alarmingly.

Does make the (seemingly plausible) Duff move interesting as my understanding of his Shelbourne team is more functional (effective!) than particularly pretty. Circumstances may be part of that but it makes it a tiny bit surprising if it is... even if Liam poured some cold water on it/it's all about Jack Moylan.

Or its all red herrings and its still going to be a left field name as it seemed last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.