Next Manager/Head Coach Discussion | Page 71 | Vital Football

Next Manager/Head Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael O'Neill is the Northern Ireland manager
If we're talking out of work international managers, how about former Imp Ian Baraclough?

Interesting, is that based on good connections, or just an opinion? in view of the fact the club have gone out their way to tell nothing to anyone. Including the bbc radio station.

Yeah I think that's also right. Just thought it was interesting - my initial thought when seeing the rumour today wasn't that it's preposterous.

Yeah I think that's also right. Just thought it was interesting - my initial thought when seeing the rumour today wasn't that it's preposterous.
Also, the club could use a good connection to pour cold water on a candidate, if they want the info to stay quiet for two more weeks. Just a thought.

The same opponents that his predecessors were facing and yet they all had better win percentages. Plus, for every France, Netherlands or Portugal there's a Gibraltar, Latvia or Malta (the last three teams Ireland have beaten). Whether he's a good manager or not, he hasn't done very well in his current job.

I suspect that if he had the chance to select the likes of Shay Given, Mark Lawrenson, Kevin Sheedy, Ray Houghton, Ronnie Whelan, Roy Keane, Robbie Keane, Dennis Irwin, Damien Duff, David O'Leary, Liam Brady, John Aldridge etc...as his predecessors were able to do his win percentage would have been very much higher.

Interesting reading how we felt when Kennedy first came up... interestingly via the Athletic. My favourite (which didn't really change IMO from then to when he left from @gijsbert_bos):

Don't know why but I don't have a great feeling about Kennedy. Just seems a bit of a smooth talker and I dont know if the substance is there. Nothing more than a gut feeling, though, and his record at Macc which should be disregarded given the circumstances. If he's appointed I'll back him, of course, but it wouldn't get me as excited as Foster, Bradley or Barry.

I also forgot about the Anthony Barry rumour at the time - he's now assistant at Bayern Munich!

I am really unsure where this 'Ireland' snowball has come from.

Is there any suggestion, anywhere, that we are actually interested in signing an Irishman, or is all this just extrapolation from Stephen Bradley being named as someone we were interested in 18 months ago?

Is there any suggestion, anywhere, that we are actually interested in signing an Irishman, or is all this just extrapolation from Stephen Bradley being named as someone we were interested in 18 months ago?

I think it's Liam and Jez's trip to see Moylan's last game last Friday which has caused the upturn in Irish suggestions. Also the initial point where Tom Shaw was as good as confirmed in the chair to just beyond the end of the season in Ireland had many putting that as a 2+2 equation

The journo who broke the Kenny story today doesn't seem to just spend his time making up rumours, although I have no idea of reliability. If anything seems favourable to Kenny in other output.

Kenny's quotes at press conference this afternoon:

"You can be linked to any job. The only thing that I am concerned about is managing Ireland. That is the biggest job. No club job could compare to managing your country.

Managing your country is the biggest honour that could be bestowed upon you and that is something that I want to do. Obviously no decision is made in that regard, whatever will be will be, I’m just focusing on the games and making sure we are well prepared.

I’m just very focused on what we have got to do, I can make decisions after that based on when I’m informed either way.

I’m not discussing any individual club at this stage."

No idea about the truth in rumours about Kenny. However some of the disparaging comments about him from some people are frankly baffling. His club record is far from poor in Ireland where he was a serial winner, and even where his win record at Dunfermline has been questioned, he did I believe get them to a Scottish cup final. I have just looked at the Irish squad announced today, no wonder his international win record is around the 30%. Take Ferguson out, who is a star in the making and its full of players, not from the top rank.

Kenny's quotes at press conference this afternoon:

"You can be linked to any job. The only thing that I am concerned about is managing Ireland. That is the biggest job. No club job could compare to managing your country.

Managing your country is the biggest honour that could be bestowed upon you and that is something that I want to do. Obviously no decision is made in that regard, whatever will be will be, I’m just focusing on the games and making sure we are well prepared.

I’m just very focused on what we have got to do, I can make decisions after that based on when I’m informed either way.

I’m not discussing any individual club at this stage."
"That is the biggest job. No club job could compare to managing your country.
Managing your country is the biggest honour that could be bestowed upon you and that is something that I want to do"

Based on that, obvious interview question to Stephen: how motivated are you to manage lincoln?

also the Sutton effect… can an international manager get a song out of league 1 players?

complicated business this, 😂

"That is the biggest job. No club job could compare to managing your country.
Managing your country is the biggest honour that could be bestowed upon you and that is something that I want to do"

Based on that, obvious interview question to Stephen: how motivated are you to manage lincoln?

also the Sutton effect… can an international manager get a song out of league 1 players?

complicated business this, 😂
When you're Ireland manager at a press conference announcing your squad, I don't think you could say its actually crap being Ireland manager and I can't wait to manage in league one.

Not sure it tells us a lot though other than he was basically asked about our job by a journo and didn't immediately quash it so it's not comprehensively ruled out 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.