Next Manager/Head Coach Discussion | Page 47 | Vital Football

Next Manager/Head Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps it’s all a smoke screen and the real deal is happening across the pond where Harvey & Clive are deep in negotiations with Messi.
Perhaps a 'pre-contract' type arrangement is not 100% water-tight ( plus the player's recent even better performance) so there was danger of being gazumped. Liam may have been dotting the i's and crossing the t's for Moylan.

Can't see them being there for Duff considering his reported style of play. It would make no sense hiring another manager who is good at direct football when the Cowleys are available, and that is the criticism levelled at them.

Have a read of Clanford's view in the Moylan thread. Duff's style of play from that report doesn't seem direct.

Perhaps a 'pre-contract' type arrangement is not 100% water-tight ( plus the player's recent even better performance) so there was danger of being gazumped. Liam may have been dotting the i's and crossing the t's for Moylan.
Can't think we'd have announced it if it wasn't watertight.

Copied and pasted this from @clanfordimp into here:

I don't usually speculate on the managers position also but with Liam Scully and Jez George being over at the game tonight it could be for a number of reasons but I'll tell you this.

Shelbournes manager, Damien Duff is definately one of the up and coming managers. Shelbourne have really improved as the season has gone on and they are arguably the best footballing team in the league.

They play the right way, the exact way in which we are led to believe how our board want us to play. They get the ball down and play crisp incisive football and have lots of possession in games.

He plays his football as it should be played but it has purpose and they pass forward, not just side ways and backwards.

Never heard Duff in a interview but he has a very good demeanour on the sidelines. You can tell he takes the job very seriously and he conducts himself well.

He definately fits the profile of what we require but again it's just my opinion of what I have seen of him amongst lots of speculation on whom will be eventually appointed as our new manager.

(Pure unadulterated speculation)

I think if the Cowleys were returning we would have had some kind of sighting or solid rumour by now - its all been very quiet. I guess as the Irish league had yet to finish - suddenly as it concludes LS and JG spotted in Ireland. If I was going to put a fiver on, it would be Stephen Bradley.

So shall I back myself, take a step up and challenge myself at a higher level, or just do the same thing I’ve been doing for the last four years. Surely not the calibre of manager we’re looking for?

An article about Duff at Shelbourne based on 2022. This pretty much screams 'Mark Kennedy 2.0'. However, it is worth saying that in that season the aim was to keep them up, and he has exceeded expectations this season.Screenshot_20231104-080609.png

If it is Duff I do worry a bit , Because our new policy seems to be to enlist ex Irish Internationals as Managers. Each time moving up in player quality. Which means after Duff the only other ex Irish International available who was arguably a better player is Roy Keane.
PLEASE NO!!!!

In all seriousness we know great players don't always make great Managers but Duff was some player. I think he did what he needed to do in his first season at Shelbourne to keep them up but apparently have been less negative this season.
Although 44 goals in 36 matches doesn't sound overly attacking to me. Interestingly Moylan got a third of those on his own. So the jury is out I think.

However it is still only speculation as to who the new manager will be.

Another interesting thing about Duff is that he has been quite scathing about EFL and Premier League clubs thinking that the Irish League isn't good enough to loan players to. So he may have a soft spot for us as we have obviously been happy to do this with Roughan, Draper and Ahui who have all benefited from loans to Ireland. So if we are after him he might have good feelings about the Imps as a forward thinking Club.

If it is Duff I do worry a bit , Because our new policy seems to be to enlist ex Irish Internationals as Managers. Each time moving up in player quality. Which means after Duff the only other ex Irish International available who was arguably a better player is Roy Keane.
PLEASE NO!!!!

In all seriousness we know great players don't always make great Managers but Duff was some player. I think he did what he needed to do in his first season at Shelbourne to keep them up but apparently have been less negative this season.
Although 44 goals in 36 matches doesn't sound overly attacking to me. Interestingly Moylan got a third of those on his own. So the jury is out I think.

However it is still only speculation as to who the new manager will be.
As long as don’t get as desperate as the Irish national team did in the 1990s - oh you grandad once went to Dublin for the weekend oh that will do here is a cap

A couple of pieces here about Duff, we are probably barking up the wrong tree, but its looking more and more likely he is in the frame here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.