Newcastle United v Man Utd League Cup Final Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Newcastle United v Man Utd League Cup Final Thread

Right - after all the hurly burly of Saturday (I still feel smashed from that btw and it’s now Monday- that’ll teach me) and the realisation about Pope, I will still believe that anything can happen but … deep … and I mean deeeeeeeeeep down- does anyone else think we’re fucked?

There. I’ve said it. Hope I’m wrong. Obviously. Crack on to call me worse than shite for saying it cos- as I say - I hope to the lord above (who’s obviously a manc anyway, mind you) I’m wrong.
Finn, we've always been in this position. Remember, 98 and 99 semi final draws. we got the draw we wanted Sheff U and although it was Spurs in 99 we scraped through after ET to meet on both occasions the league champions in the final. Probably a 0-2 score flattered us twice. The next semi final was Chelsea, when in reality we wanted Villa or Bolton. We gave it a good go that day and we were a tad unlucky but inevitably it was yet another 'so near, but too far' game. I said after that game when I turned to see the twin towers for the last time, 'no more six is enough'. The last semi final at Cardiff we got battered, say no more. I understand your trepidation for the game on Sunday and I am in the same boat. What will be, will be.

Was at all them games Mac with my 2 lads & aye it hurt.
Rob Lee's equaliser the highlight of the misery for what it was worth but being part of it was special nonetheless.
Always thought we were going to get beat in them games but feel this time round we're capable of going toe to toe with em.
Factor in their game v Barca on Thursday & hope it goes to extra time.
Die hard down the road's starting to get a bad belly & it's only Monday,ffs.
Could be a few of us hiding behind the settee if it goes to penalties.
1-0 the Mags.

I'm actually trying to ignore the opponent. It's our first cup final in what? 20 old years almost 25 I think. Could be another 25 cup finals are never guaranteed and some of us might not be here. Most of us probably weren't here for the last cup final win. I'm fearing the worst and hoping for the best but can't help but think from player level to boardroom level we haven't given ourselves the best chance of winning it. Its frustrating to think we could have done better. We'll see on Sunday

Someone was saying Joelinton was 1 yellow off getting a suspension but THAT suspension would have been the LEAGUE ONLY. How's that fair?

There's also an argument if a defender makes a mistake of that scale he's dropped. (Ciaran Clark). I love pope but in my opinion he needs to work his way back into the team otherwise what message does that send to the other goalies

Well as has been said anything coiuld happen. Positives Bruno back and ASM looking dangerous. We will have to be at the top of our game and there will not be much on the bench,
Rashford on fire and Man U hitting form makes it an uphill climb. Fingers crossed but I am not confident.
I just hope we perform as we can.

What's the opinions on why Maxi looked back to his best

No Willock?

More space for him when we went down to 10men?

Just had a good game?

Last edited:
What's the opinions on why Maxi looked backed to his best

No Willock?

More space for him when we went down to 10men?

Just had a good game?

For me it came down to different approach and more grass for him to run in. I believe he plays a certain way (been asked to change his natural game) with 11 men but when we went down to 10 men , the patterns we normally play with 11 changed slightly when we went to 10 , more counter attack .

For me it came down to different approach and more grass for him to run in. I believe he plays a certain way (been asked to change his natural game) with 11 men but when we went down to 10 men , the patterns we normally play with 11 changed slightly when we went to 10 , more counter attack .

I thought he started off well when we had 11 men on the pitch

I think we are a bit lopsided on the left trying to compensate for Burn's lack of attacking intent - Willock, Joe and Maxi covering a lot of the same ground

Last edited:
I am already nervous the week is dragging god knows what I will be like by Sunday. No real reason why we can’t give it a real go. Whether that will be enough who knows. I hope it doesn’t go to pens that would be nightmare.

I thought he started off well when we had 11 men on the pitch

I think we are a bit lopsided on the left trying to compensate for Burn's lack of attacking intent - Willock, Joe and Maxi covering a lot of the same ground
I believe Maxi is the key to us beating man ure at Wembley, love his link up play with Isak as well.

Finn, we've always been in this position. Remember, 98 and 99 semi final draws. we got the draw we wanted Sheff U and although it was Spurs in 99 we scraped through after ET to meet on both occasions the league champions in the final. Probably a 0-2 score flattered us twice. The next semi final was Chelsea, when in reality we wanted Villa or Bolton. We gave it a good go that day and we were a tad unlucky but inevitably it was yet another 'so near, but too far' game. I said after that game when I turned to see the twin towers for the last time, 'no more six is enough'. The last semi final at Cardiff we got battered, say no more. I understand your trepidation for the game on Sunday and I am in the same boat. What will be, will be.

Yeah remember those all too well Mc. But in the 90s ones I never thought we’d come out on top. You went down there in pure hope. Chelsea - I actually wanted them as I thought could be a shoo in final-wise, if we got through. Had we played Chelsea at OT or Villa Park or wherever/anywhere but Wembley (like FA Cup semi finals should be), I think we would have won.

This time round it feels more like ‘05 and semi final thumping to me - self-inflicted with Pope needless suspension. Self-inflicted with Dyer/Bowyer needless suspensions.

After the Man U v Barcelona game tonight, we have nothing to worry about 🙄
We got fuck all to lose. Nobody expects us to win, so no pressure, just have to go for it. We're Newcastle United fans, non of us are going to lose any sleep of we don't win are we.