Newcastle United v Aston Villa - Friday 12th March 20.00 Hrs kick off. | Page 39 | Vital Football

Newcastle United v Aston Villa - Friday 12th March 20.00 Hrs kick off.

The problem we have here is too many are using the clusterfuck that was last season as a benchmark which is being used to downplay the relevance of the 2021 form. Worrying as results and performance wise we are as bad now as last season as evidenced over 13 games now.

I think we are now seeing the effects of not rotating the squad throughout the season, but in fairness I don't think we've had the strength in depth to do it. A few more quality additions this summer and hopefully next season we will rotate a bit more and we won't burn out for the last 15 games or so

The problem we have here is too many are using the clusterfuck that was last season as a benchmark which is being used to downplay the relevance of the 2021 form. Worrying as results and performance wise we are as bad now as last season as evidenced over 13 games now.
What are we supposed to benchmark against if not last season? The season we wanted to have but didn't?

This is another of those "If it wasn't for [thing that actually happened]" counterfactuals. "It's only an improvement if you base it on last season". Well, yeah, that's what we have to improve upon and we have, massively. That's before even taking Jack's injury, a mass COVID outbreak and an insane schedule of games into account.

OK, how about looking at this season? As I pointed out in an earlier post, over the last 10 games we've dropped from (a very respectable) 8th with other teams snapping at our heels to 9th, where, apart from Chelsea who've overtaken us, those behind us have fallen away.

Am I worried? Nope. Should I be worried? Nope. We're holding our own in the toughest league in the world. Yep we're feeling the pressure and it shows. So is everybody else.

The problem is when you bang on endlessly about 2021 it just shows the short termism prevailing in the modern fan.
Is the season not 9 months ?. Should we not assess when the final league table is set.

What if the form now was being produced before the turn of the year and the form pre 2021 was occurring now?. Puts a whole different perspective on where we are.

Unless you are Man Citeh every club this season has been up and down and peaks and troughs

What are we supposed to benchmark against if not last season? The season we wanted to have but didn't?

This is another of those "If it wasn't for [thing that actually happened]" counterfactuals. "It's only an improvement if you base it on last season". Well, yeah, that's what we have to improve upon and we have, massively. That's before even taking Jack's injury, a mass COVID outbreak and an insane schedule of games into account.
If it wasn't for Grealish if it wasn't for Martinez if it wasn't for a good start. There's being critical and there's being morose.

Anything would be better than last season, so we have made progress. Defensively we have been fantastic. Next season we need to see improvement in midfield and our attack with and without Jack. There is nothing Dean can do until the season ends to improve our attack. Once Jack is back, we will be much better assuming he has not lost his form. If he has, then we need to be really worried !

I think we are now seeing the effects of not rotating the squad throughout the season, but in fairness I don't think we've had the strength in depth to do it. A few more quality additions this summer and hopefully next season we will rotate a bit more and we won't burn out for the last 15 games or so
Doesn't help when management loan out the better squad players - Hourihane/ Guilbert who are better than what's on the bench

Doesn't help when management loan out the better squad players - Hourihane/ Guilbert who are better than what's on the bench
they have no future and weren't going to play and in Hourihanes case he wanted to play, his choice to leave, he could have stayed like Neil Taylor if he'd wanted

I find it quite funny when I read posts about the disgrace of losing points against the likes of Newcastle which are then followed up with further posts inferring that people shouldn’t get upset for losing points against the likes of Newcastle.....:shrug:

I think this is the issue as well, I think in some areas of the pitch thats true but for others we had the players to rotate e.g. central midfield.

I find it quite funny when I read posts about the disgrace of losing points against the likes of Newcastle which are then followed up with further posts inferring that people shouldn’t get upset for losing points against the likes of Newcastle.....:shrug:

:fish:

100%. I still find it funny when some really feel that we are going to qualify for Europe and get upset when we lose or drop points.
But it's nice to be in a position where we could qualify for Europe. I agree; we haven't got the squad where it's likely this year, and there's no point in moaning about that. But it does mean we have something to build on.

I look back at the years of struggle and misery after Houllier left, and am happy we're better than that.

Dean can’t do anything about our attack till the season ends?

Considering he’s our manager, don’t you think he should’ve done something before the season started, I mean our record with championship strikers is dodgy at best, so what does he do, buys Ollie and loans out Samatta, leaving just KD as backup, and let’s not forget Guilbert....fucking genius decisions.......and now we have 1 striker who looks totally burnt out.

Anyhow looking forward to Tammy signing and Ollie being loaned out:lol:

Two things. Reckon Ollie has more natural ability than you give him credit for.

Two areas of his game which need the most improvement for me are his first touch and dribbling. He looks more championship that premiership sometimes with both of these points. All constructive criticism though, I’m a big fan of his but these incremental improvements make a big difference