New Zealand Bans Smoking | Vital Football

New Zealand Bans Smoking

BodyButter

Vital Football Legend
Excuse the clickbait title. New Zealand is planning to ban the sale of cigarettes to anyone born after 2004 along with a raft of other measures to effectively ban smoking.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ms-to-create-smoke-free-generation-cigarettes

We all know that smoking is shit. As a recovering smoker, I can confirm the fact that it's shit and a complete waste of time, money and health.

Still, should the government decide on what you can and can't do to your own body? Perhaps we should ban ice cream since it makes you fat? Once smoking is gone, I'd assume alcohol is next.

Excuse the clickbait title. New Zealand is planning to ban the sale of cigarettes to anyone born after 2004 along with a raft of other measures to effectively ban smoking.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ms-to-create-smoke-free-generation-cigarettes

We all know that smoking is shit. As a recovering smoker, I can confirm the fact that it's shit and a complete waste of time, money and health.

Still, should the government decide on what you can and can't do to your own body? Perhaps we should ban ice cream since it makes you fat? Once smoking is gone, I'd assume alcohol is next.
Joking aside, the case for banning booze is overwhelming considering the health problems it causes, A&E time, courts time, domestic violence etc.
If it were discovered now, I suspect it would be treated the same as any other hard drug.
For the record, I dont advocate a ban.

People can decide whether to kill themselves with fags, agreed, trouble is, it then impacts on the health systems.

Sounds like a good idea to try to stop the youngsters thinking it is cool - like so many generations have - only to find themselves addicted, in poor health, or the proud owners of cancer.

However, does this send it underground and make it even cooler? :shrug:

There is a big market here for illegal cigarettes. I believe they are around £1 a packet. Normal cigarettes in the shop are £3 a packet.

Banning alcohol wouldn't work, the prohibition era showed that.
No your right it wouldnt.
It doesnt work with any banned substances, I was just making the point that it is readily available, whilst equally destructive drugs are banned from legitimate sale.

Yep, it's not the way to go. People will do what they want whether something is banned or not, ie drugs.

Anyway, as far as I'm aware younger people today don't smoke nearly as much, so what's the big deal?

It's just another muscle flex of authoritarianism.

On one hand it looks like big brother controlling/as you say authoritarianism on the other hand, trying to look after future generations so they don't make the same cancerous mistakes the previous generations did.

On one hand it looks like big brother controlling/as you say authoritarianism on the other hand, trying to look after future generations so they don't make the same cancerous mistakes the previous generations did.

There's definitely that, and there is a good argument there, but as already mentioned, sugar is also bad for you, as are bad fats etc. so where does it end?

I think education is better than banning. I don't remember being told at school how bad smoking is, I should have.

Banning alcohol seems nuts to me, people have their vices, I don't think it's a good idea to be taking them away from the masses.

There's definitely that, and there is a good argument there, but as already mentioned, sugar is also bad for you, as are bad fats etc. so where does it end?

I think education is better than banning. I don't remember being told at school how bad smoking is, I should have.

Banning alcohol seems nuts to me, people have their vices, I don't think it's a good idea to be taking them away from the masses.

Yup, it is tricky. However, smoking is something over and above most things, like sugar and even drink, really. The risks are so clear for pretty much everyone (?) who smokes, will get some adverse reaction?

Banning alcohol is unfair on people who can and do drink responsibly.

That’s me most of the time

Slowly phasing out Fags is a great idea, I suspect the revenue from taxes on it will be missed if it was done in one hit but gradually getting rid of them wouldn't, have such an impact.
I don't know that many smokers these days but most seem to want to give up, so not starting in the first place might start the ball rolling.

The more we make the foul-smelling breathed , yellow fingered, nicotine addicts feel like lepers the better.
No offence to them but you fecking stink! :p

It might just help reduce a % of youngsters who would have tried it otherwise mighten it? And then, those who still want to will find a way and will no doubt regret it.

I am sure the likes of Fieldy wish they had never started, unless I'm in any way wrong @mike_field