New TV | Vital Football

New TV

OurGert

Vital Squad Member
Help!
Research has me more confused than when I started, TV's @ £400/500 look as good to me as TV's @ £1400/1500 when viewing in retail outlets.

Any recommendations ? 55" would be sweet.

We went with a LG Nano last time 65" from RicherSounds. It is superb. The OLED screens are definitely better for colour and moving images, but they like to stick lots of facilities on them that you'll never need, so they can get pricey.

I think its getting like cars. Its harder to find a poor, badly made one. Just good ones and better ones.

I bought an LG oled I subscribe to which and they came out on top when I got mine I did get mine off eBay tho it didn’t have all the bits for the stand so I made them myself and saved about £700 it was brand new as well
have got smart tvs in the bedrooms not oled and you can tell the difference
ive got Hisense in my bedroom it’s ok but they score poor on the which tests it depends what you want from it mines ok for the bedroom I wouldn’t want it in my living room tho 🤷‍♂️

Help!
Research has me more confused than when I started, TV's @ £400/500 look as good to me as TV's @ £1400/1500 when viewing in retail outlets.

Any recommendations ? 55" would be sweet.

The best two TV manufacturers are LG and then Samsung according to Which? magazine. I only have experience with the Samsung models BB. I bought another Samsung a few months ago as my 2 previous TV's had been made by them and I haven't had a problem with any of them. The picture quality on both was outstanding but I thought it was time to see what this 4k 8k UHD malarky was all about as I was offered a good deal to upgrade to Sky Q. The one I got was Which? Best Buy at the time not just because of the picture but also the sound is outstanding. I've no idea how it does it to be honest, it's micro thin and let it's like having a stereo unit with Bose speakers in the corner without any attachments. I paid a bit over the odds because I do like a bit of new tech (hell yeah) but I think it's great. I can't fault it. I got the 50" version which is currently down to £899 at AO.com but there is also a 55"model or larger. It's 'Samsung QE50QN90BA 50" Smart 4K Ultra HD Neo QLED TV, Powered By Quantum Dot'. It also plays HDR when available. Here's a link.. https://ao.com/product/qe50qn90ba-samsung-qn90b-tv-black-93072-108.aspx

Just a word of warning regarding the 4k UHD picture quality. There's not a lot of it about on terrestrial TV. I was surprised how little there is unless you use something like BBC iPlayer and stream your TV over the net which can be a faff. There's more options on the likes of Sky and Netflix and I watch most of my sport and movies on UHD now but if you don't subscribe to them I'd just buy one of the older Samsung or LG models because you'll not see the benefit of the extra outlay (IMO). They were top of the range themselves just over a year ago but you'll get them for £400-£500 instead of pushing a grand or more. I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Echo the above endorsing Richer Sounds. Been great for years for genuine unbiased advice on all matters audio visual.
Re price I can't see you not getting a beaut all singing all dancing big screen for way under £600.
Mines a 55" Hitachi. Does what it says on the tin. Got it a few years back from Argos.

If tha wants tu go tu Richer Sounds at Broomhill I'll meet thi and buy thi a pint! Mi owd stampin ground !
We will meet one day (and it would be good to meet a few off here - I'm certain I'd recognise some faces) alas I'm up in Scotland and very soon the M/H will be on the ferry to mainland Europe then as usual no plan but just follow the sun!

Depending on how much time you have (I got mine while I was off with covid 🫤) you can go on both eBay and Amazon and check the tv you want out and around midnight early hrs cut price bargains appear greatly reduced they don’t last long they get snapped up very quickly,I don’t know if it still happens but it did when I was looking I missed a few but I paid under £600 for a tv that was going for anything between £1100 and £1400 at the time
its worth your time if you know what you want 👍

Well gone for this one , £745 from Amazon Sony Bravia XR55A80J 55” A80J OLED 4K Google TV
Nice one BB. Sony used to be the dog's bollocks a decade ago and they are still great TV's. It's just that companies like LG who used to be down in the bargain basement have upped their game.

I've got a view on all this nano micro dot OLED super UHD stuff though. I think that as long a TV is set up and adjusted properly there's bugger all notable difference to be seen for most people if you buy a decent make. My old TV was a 7+ year old Samsung curved TV and it now resides in another room. The picture to me is every bit as good as my new bells and whistles model and what difference there is is probably largely undetectable to most people over a certain age anyway.🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Nice one BB. Sony used to be the dog's bollocks a decade ago and they are still great TV's. It's just that companies like LG who used to be down in the bargain basement have upped their game.

I've got a view on all this nano micro dot OLED super UHD stuff though. I think that as long a TV is set up and adjusted properly there's bugger all notable difference to be seen for most people if you buy a decent make. My old TV was a 7+ year old Samsung curved TV and it now resides in another room. The picture to me is every bit as good as my new bells and whistles model and what difference there is is probably largely undetectable to most people over a certain age anyway.🤷🏻‍♂️

When they are side by side in the shop, you can usually tell which one you prefer, but reception and adjustment matters a lot. If you have freeview running off a rooftop aerial, then some of the heavy brown coax, rather than the white skinny stuff will make you think you spent £300 more.

Same here with my Samsung 42" screen. 6 years and still a brilliant picture. Never a problem apart from crummy sound which they all have. Not BT so I bought a BT Transmitter and play it through a Bose Slimline speaker at side of my viewing chair.