New treatment Alzheimers disease and dementia | Vital Football

New treatment Alzheimers disease and dementia

kefkat

Vital Football Legend
I do hope so. We nursed my late mom with this for 3 years before she passed. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

For the person and the family it is horrendous. It's relentless.

You become the person voice. If the person with dementia does not have that loving support network around them there, heaven help them.

Mom had to spend the last 6 weeks of her life in a nursing home due to a nasty fall in respite care, as she broke her leg and we couldn't care for her full time anymore.

There was people in the home who nobody went to see. We were in their nearly everyday

🫂🫂🫂🫂🫂🫂🫂🫂🫂🫂🫂🫂🫂

Article below

A new drug has been found to slow the progression of Alzheimer's, with experts hailing it as a "turning point" in the fight against the disease.

Donanemab was found to slow "clinical decline" by up to 35%, allowing people with Alzheimer's to continue performing day-to-day tasks such as shopping, housekeeping, managing their finances and taking medication

The missus is in training as a neuropsychologist, she said this drug isnt as potent as we might think but it is a first step to fighting this awful thing. They still don't really understand this and why it happens.

Supposedly it works for about 6 months and its like dialysis you have to go every two weeks to get it. We've a long way to go.

I do hope so. We nursed my late mom with this for 3 years before she passed. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

For the person and the family it is horrendous. It's relentless.

You become the person voice. If the person with dementia does not have that loving support network around them there, heaven help them.

Mom had to spend the last 6 weeks of her life in a nursing home due to a nasty fall in respite care, as she broke her leg and we couldn't care for her full time anymore.

There was people in the home who nobody went to see. We were in their nearly everyday

🫂🫂🫂🫂🫂🫂🫂🫂🫂🫂🫂🫂🫂

Article below

A new drug has been found to slow the progression of Alzheimer's, with experts hailing it as a "turning point" in the fight against the disease.

Donanemab was found to slow "clinical decline" by up to 35%, allowing people with Alzheimer's to continue performing day-to-day tasks such as shopping, housekeeping, managing their finances and taking medication

Agree kef. Same with mom in law. Absolutely horrendous illness. You can see them going away from you day by day. Worse still for the two girls, because it was their mom. This is one of the few diseases that I really fear, way more than cancer.

Only briefly caught up on this but did catch a few people saying it wasn't the silver bullet, but alongside the other treatment it was finally a great first step towards some properly effective treatment.

Agree kef. Same with mom in law. Absolutely horrendous illness. You can see them going away from you day by day. Worse still for the two girls, because it was their mom. This is one of the few diseases that I really fear, way more than cancer.

Totally agree with you over cancer snd alzheimers. It's why I do alot of online puzzles daily.

I once said to my Dr "I don't want to end up in a wheelchair in my old age however I would that than end up like my mom"

Dr said "I get it - you would still be Carol" He got it

One of the heads of Alzheimers research UK was interviewed earlier saying this could well be a moment we look back on, and see it as big a discovery and penicillin.

One of the heads of Alzheimers research UK was interviewed earlier saying this could well be a moment we look back on, and see it as big a discovery and penicillin.

Yeah, the fundamentals are well above me obviously, and it seems these two treatments are short term stop gaps that buy maybe 6 months in terms of a pause, but it seems everyone to a man thinks that these two in their own rights are effectively ground zero where we can now truly step towards curing it.

We all know with these things, millions/billions go in and nothing for years, but then you hit the point where it gets cracked and there's a % improvement every couple of months.

I'm chuffed we seem finally there, albeit a long way to go but it should speed up now. Let's hope it does.

Yeah, the fundamentals are well above me obviously, and it seems these two treatments are short term stop gaps that buy maybe 6 months in terms of a pause, but it seems everyone to a man thinks that these two in their own rights are effectively ground zero where we can now truly step towards curing it.

We all know with these things, millions/billions go in and nothing for years, but then you hit the point where it gets cracked and there's a % improvement every couple of months.

I'm chuffed we seem finally there, albeit a long way to go but it should speed up now. Let's hope it does.

Not from what I have read/heard in reports. If it is caught early (which for this drug to work, it has to be) it slows down the progress. The % of plaque (not got any of the medical knowledge or terms for all of this) that causes the issue that is slowly eroded sounds amazing.

The one problem in the UK according to the head of the Alzheimers charity is the best way to detect early onset is with a scanner we have very few of.

But yes, it has now opened the door for more research, now something has been proven to work. Next 20 years could see a massive shift change in this awful disease.

Didn't get anything on catching early but assumed that was the case anyway, but caught the bit about the PET? scanners, I think they were.

Maybe the 6 months bit I caught was 'the benefit' if caught later on or something?

Think it effected the amalite/amalate (sp) build up or something, again that side is well above my head though. Certainly a massive step in the right direction, and even if not perfect, these two treatments will help until the next breakthrough.