New Signing - Lewis Page | Vital Football

New Signing - Lewis Page

That sounds like an early bit of planning for next season, and a sign that NH has lost patience with Tutonda

Not sure if this is to cover for an injury or an upgrade on a current player? Thought Tutonda did ok on Tuesday and presume negotiations were ongoing before Tuesday night's Tutonda bollocking for not chasing back.

That sounds like an early bit of planning for next season, and a sign that NH has lost patience with Tutonda

Planning for next season? - I think many would hope we would aim a little higher than players released by Mansfield.

Could have been recommended by Hawkins and Lapslie though. Potential solid signing.

Could have been recommended by Hawkins and Lapslie though. Potential solid signing.

He didn't sign for Mansfield until November so I doubt that they saw much of him. Tim' Dieng probably played a bit with him at Exeter.

I'm happy that we've got another decent option in at a low cost.

EDIT: Just checked and Dieng joined Exeter at the same time as Page left so it looks like it was just more general scouting from Hess that brought this about.

Last edited:
Ok, so on reading this, I called my friend who watches Exeter City to ask about Lewis Page.
He said that he was a constant for them a couple of seasons back as was ‘alright’
That’s it.

Not sure if this is to cover for an injury or an upgrade on a current player? Thought Tutonda did ok on Tuesday and presume negotiations were ongoing before Tuesday night's Tutonda bollocking for not chasing back.
Funny how we all see games differently.
I thought Tutonda was back to his worst/old self.
Often challenging with the wrong foot, offering players outside instead of onto their weaker foot, positional sense appalling and diving in when he should have been standing up.
Sorry, I know he has improved this season but I still get very nervous with him at left back.
He just seems incapable of reading a game.

Funny how we all see games differently.
Often challenging with the wrong foot, offering players outside instead of onto their weaker foot, positional sense appalling and diving in when he should have been standing up.
Sorry, I know he has improved this season but I still get very nervous with him at left back.
I agree, I think he has a slightly higher opinion of his footballing skills than is justified, which often results in him not taking the clear and obvious option of a pass but trying to beat an opponent first.
We have seen what happens when that goes wrong.

I think Tutonda is often the fall guy. I'm aware he flies by the seat of his pants sometimes but he's the only member of our defence with the pace to recover from errors, or losing the ball.

Reminder: both goals on Tuesday came from errors on the other side of our defence. It often seems to me that anything good that Tutonda does is ignored but his errors are highlighted. Check out the fiasco defending on Cook's goal and not just Ehmer, though his was the root cause.

As to the new signing McKenzies injury and possible future suspensions or injuries probably the reason. Almost a cost free option as Harriet's time is done.

Welcome Lewis. A bit of a surprise.
I found it interesting that his only Mansfield appearance was against Harrogate. Previous to that he played for Harrogate. Remember who we are playing Saturday? Spot on.A very odd coincidence indeed.

Interesting couple of quotes from a thread on GiTB Facebook page -
———————————-
He’s been at the last few home games and I think has been training with the club for the last couple of weeks
————-
He has indeed, I know his mother in law...she has been keeping me updated.
Hope it works out for him.
————————————

Welcome Lewis 👏👏

I'm fonda Tutonda. The Bradford game was not his finest -especially in possession when things usually get interesting with him. A couple of stand out errors or failings in defence, but he still was there or thereabouts when needed on many occasions, partly because he has the speed to recover.

This is what I can not understand about modern football.
Someone originally decided Tutonda should play at full back or wing back.
Even if you are at your best playing wing back with three central defenders, you are still called upon to track the opposition wide players when they are in possession.
And yet so many of them do not have what I would call a defender's instincts and mindset and do not practice the basics, as described in your post.

I do not know whether they are coached, and just can't do it, but no amount of pace or an occasional cross, or a goal a season (like at Colchester) is going to make up for letting a winger have a field day down their side of the pitch.

Even Trigger, who started his career as a winger, became a very effective defensive full back with the right instincts.

This is what I can not understand about modern football.
Someone originally decided Tutonda should play at full back or wing back.
Even if you are at your best playing wing back with three central defenders, you are still called upon to track the opposition wide players when they are in possession.
And yet so many of them do not have what I would call a defender's instincts and mindset and do not practice the basics, as described in your post.

I do not know whether they are coached, and just can't do it, but no amount of pace or an occasional cross, or a goal a season (like at Colchester) is going to make up for letting a winger have a field day down their side of the pitch.

Even Trigger, who started his career as a winger, became a very effective defensive full back with the right instincts.
With wingers getting less pitch time fewer players will be seen in that role at league level especially in league two .I believe it is no coincidence that there simply hasn't been that many good wingers play for or against us at league two level.
Personally I think Tutonda might need to much work at his age to be that viable next season. Maybe offering something very basic might be worth the risk .But I think the Page signing given his lack of action this season shows that Harris isn't happy with Tutonda defensively.

On the subject of wide players do we have any youth players looking like becoming first team wingers in future?