New Manager | Page 2 | Vital Football

New Manager

I suspect that the Halifax manager was never in contention for the post at Pools. Most likely Pools are looking to appoint someone from the North East, those from elsewhere in the UK aren't likely to buy into Pool's long-term. This, obviously, reduces the possibilities, hence I anticipate that it will be a former Poolie or Boro player who is eventually appointed.

Even Sweeney, if the Mail is to be believed, seems to be becoming anxious that the process is taking so long!

Appointment of a manager is now critical.
Sweeney has done his very best, but with limited assistance he has not been able to keep the ship on course.

If nothing else the delay in making an appointment is becoming somewhat embarrassing - does nobody want the job?

Last edited:
Dither and delay has been a feature of Pools decision making since Bristol. We seem to be drifting with little reason to be optimistic. I am wondering if we had a target (maybe more than one) but have been knocked back so a spanner has been thrown into the works. By all accounts today's display at Vale was weak. Not sure if their keeper had a save to make and we continue the trend of giving away sloppy goals.

Last edited:
It's a shame but momentum has now gone. 23 points at this point would have been deemed to be acceptable but alarm bells just starting to ringfor the first time. Players not doing a job would have have been sidelined by DC, but don't think Sweeney will have the same authority and why would he as he is just a stop gap. Need somebody in this week. The lad from Chesterfield would be a good shout if we could get him.

I doubt Pools will appoint anyone who is currently in a managerial post! Anticipate that it will be Chris Beech.

I know I'm being pessimistic, but, sadly, I've seen it all before under numerous regimes at Pools. Hope my premonition proves unfounded, but this is going to degerate into a long season of battling against relegation.

Surely, now is the time to appoint a new management team. The Papa John's will give a chance to look at squad players, whilst the preparation ahead of the Lincoln game would give an opportunity to start to get philosophy across to the squad. I don't expect Pools to win either game but they could enable the new manager to prepare and organise for the upcoming, vital, League2 matches.

Last edited:
I doubt Pools will appoint anyone who is currently in a managerial post! Anticipate that it will be Chris Beech.

I do hope not Chris Beech. I now live in the Carlisle area (sort of) and have seen quite a lot of him in the media. He seemed to have the charisma of a herdwick sheep. His replacement Keith Millen seems even more dull.

Having said that I've met one or two quite attractive herdwicks recently.

It's a shame but momentum has now gone. 23 points at this point would have been deemed to be acceptable but alarm bells just starting to ringfor the first time. Players not doing a job would have have been sidelined by DC, but don't think Sweeney will have the same authority and why would he as he is just a stop gap. Need somebody in this week. The lad from Chesterfield would be a good shout if we could get him.
This is a bit mysterious to me, McP. Which players do you think are not doing a job and, secondly, in what sense does Sweens not have the authority to sideline players? If the manager doesn't pick a player for a match, the player doesn't play.

Stevenage have appointed Paul Tilsdale as their new manager. Now I'm not suggesting Pools should have appointed him, nor that he would have been interested in the Pools job. However, it is a stark contrast that Stevenage have taken no more than 2 weeks to make an appointment whilst Pools have been without a manager for 4 weeks (and counting) without any signs of an imminent appointment.

Supposedly one time Boro manager Jonathan Woodgate is the current favourite - can't see him being interested myself, but who knows?

It is extremely frustrating that there is not a peep from the club as the team lurch from one defeat to the next. This week away at Sheff Wed and then Lincoln so there wont be much to boost the players' or fan's morale. I am dreading how many goals we'll concede.

Gavin Strachan is now the bookies favourite, seems unlikely to me that he'd resign from being first team coach at Celtic to become Pools manager.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that nobody, of note, wants the job and that Sweeney will be stuck as interim manager in perpetuity!

Strachan has, apparently, declined the offer of becoming Pools manager.

Perhaps Raj is starting to run out of options?
I've already suggested Chris Beech, and I'll now propose Keith Curle as being available and experienced at EFL2 level.
Do any of you other guys have any suggestions as I feel we need to help out if Pools aren't to remain managerless into the New Year!

There are any number of out-of-work former managers and it's easy to suggest Beech or Curl and we could probably all name a few others but (1) are the right person for the job and (2) would they come to Pools. Somebody like the aforementioned would probably jump at the chance being currently unemployed and Pools being a relatively attractive proposition. Others, like Strachan, already employed are unlikely to be attracted.

While I'm also getting frustrated I'm content, for the time being, to think Raj is taking his time and, hopefully will soon announce the person who will take us to bigger and better things.

There are any number of out-of-work former managers and it's easy to suggest Beech or Curl and we could probably all name a few others but (1) are the right person for the job and (2) would they come to Pools. Somebody like the aforementioned would probably jump at the chance being currently unemployed and Pools being a relatively attractive proposition. Others, like Strachan, already employed are unlikely to be attracted.

While I'm also getting frustrated I'm content, for the time being, to think Raj is taking his time and, hopefully will soon announce the person who will take us to bigger and better things.
I wish I shared your optimism Mr Sands, but I fear the search is dragging on too long!

I'd approach Richie Barker- currently no2 at Rotherham, has managed both Crawley and Bury, as well as legend amongst the fan base. Ticks all the boxes for me.